Contribute
Register

2013 Mac Pro - My variation

Status
Not open for further replies.
IGFX.jpgmultibeast settings.JPGabout this mac.jpgGraphics.JPGatheros lan.JPGintel lan.JPGwifi 1.JPGWifi2.jpg

:) Good news or almost. The thing is improving: What a relief! Well, I was a little disappointed, but at last I achieved to start the OS X's installation (only with Intel 4600 HD graphics ) and terminate and install the necessary adjustments with Multibeast and after the restart I had a kernel panic, I guess because I forgot removing the flash drive from the USB port, then remove it off and started normally. All works fine, but without wifi or BT as I knew, so I checked the Atheros ethernet network worked well and managed to open Safari and I could browse and download the kexts of Toleda (bcm4352.kext and toledaARPT.kext) put them on the desktop and I downloaded, installed and run Kextbeast and then rebooted and I can to set up the wifi (I guess it's the 2.4 GHz) and connect to my Airport's network as seen on the picture but still don't works the BT 4.0. I done something wrong or I forgot something. I don't know.
Anyway, I'm more pleased and encouraged by what I am going to try to put the 760 GPU to see what happens. Again fingers crossed...

Did you replace the wifi card?

I only use bcm4352.kext, and not the Toleda kext with AW-CE123H card. If that is the card you have, they may be stepping on each other.

5Ghz can be enabled, with a patch.

I am really glad to hear that the motherboard is working. That is a big step.

@JuanLobo:

Did you find over the last weeks a good spot for the wifi antennas ? As i also wrote in the low power Mac Pro Mod thread i've tried around 1-2 weeks different wifi cards and antenna combinations and the speed still was very bad. So i've switched over to powerlan adapters and are now happy with a constant 100 mbit network speed which not slows down my internet connection.

But if there is hope to speed up the wifi i will give it another try again :)

@JuanLobo:

Did you find over the last weeks a good spot for the wifi antennas ? As i also wrote in the low power Mac Pro Mod thread i've tried around 1-2 weeks different wifi cards and antenna combinations and the speed still was very bad. So i've switched over to powerlan adapters and are now happy with a constant 100 mbit network speed which not slows down my internet connection.

But if there is hope to speed up the wifi i will give it another try again :)

Klausi, I ended up putting the antennas external mounted to the base. Also, added some RF shielding inside the case. The last time I looked, it was connected at 513Mbit to my router in another room (802.11ac). I haven't tested the actual throughput, I'll do that when I get everything closed up again.

AntennasBack.JPGInternalRFShielding.JPG

Edit: Test with case off using iperf going wifi from this hack to a wired Mac Pro through Netgear R7000 running DD-WRT:

------------------------------------------------------------
Client connecting to 192.168.1.10, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 129 KByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[ 4] local 192.168.1.147 port 49454 connected with 192.168.1.10 port 5001
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 4] 0.0-10.0 sec 474 MBytes 397 Mbits/sec

I'm happy with that! Works out to about 49MBytes/sec.

Did you replace the wifi card?

I only use bcm4352.kext, and not the Toleda kext with AW-CE123H card. If that is the card you have, they may be stepping on each other.

5Ghz can be enabled, with a patch.

I am really glad to hear that the motherboard is working. That is a big step.

Yes, John. That's was one of the first things I did because it was clear that it wouldn't work.
Well, I partially dismantled the setup and I tried the GPU directly on the PCIe slot and it works fine so then I have returned to rebuild with 3M extender included and I have returned to test the computer and Voilá! works well. But where I am stuck and didn't advance is the amount of testing I've done installing and deleting kexts and patches for that works best for the wifi and I have not even managed to change the settings of country or channels (only FCC and US has changed and the amount of channels), nor takes the patch effect for the 5 GHz and of course the BT nothing and that it is simply not recognized although I have also updated (BTFirmwareUploader.kext), just says Azurewave in the USB section on system profile, but bluetooth nothing in system profile and on system preferences does not appear of course. I tried with a usb dongle and boom! BT recognized at the first time and I was able to pair my mouse and keyboard without any problems, then I removed the dongle and I've rebooted and nothing ... again without BT . I have also tried to change some box codes with Hex Fiend (the first time I'm use it ), but don't let me save the replace it . I don't know, probably I don't do it well or just don't quite understand by the language issue. Anyway ... I put some images.

About this mac.jpgNVIDIA GTX 760.jpginstall HWsensors.jpgHWmonitor.jpgBluetooth profile.jpgWifi before.jpgAirport renamed.pngIORegistry Brcm4360.jpgDCPImanager1.jpgDCPImanager2.pngHex Fied detail.jpgNot be saved.jpgUSB profile.png

Attachments

• IORegistry 1.jpg
    IORegistry 1.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 150
Odd that you are having so many issues with BT. I only use Toleda's bcm4352.kext. I don't use the ToledaARPT.kext or the firmware uploader. Nothing patched except for 5Ghz.

So glad to hear the extender is working too.

Finished up the fan controller. Works well so far... but I am missing one blasted 3mm nut needed to mount the circuit board to the rail inside. Anyone have small nuts? ;-)

FanController.JPG

Used 123Circuits to draw out the circuit. Its free, but can be very buggy. Frequently doesn't erase lines that it should, I had to refresh the browser frequently to get rid of them. Also has the nasty habbit of placing lines on top of each other for no good reason

FanCircuit.jpg

I used these neat little breadboards: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040Z6OK6 But, if you did want to have circuit boards printed, they can be ordered through 123Circuits... 3 for $15 didn't seem too bad.

FanBoard.jpg

The code is very simple. It just checks the voltage provided on the motherboard case fan connector and converts it to a matching PWM signal, speeding it up if the temp sensor detects the GPU getting hot. For this motherboard, the case fan is voltage controlled, not PWM, even though it is a 4-pin connector on the motherboard. When I was first testing on an HP desktop computer, the motherboard fan controller would lose its mind if the fan didn't obey. That would have required me to provide a fake tachometer signal to the motherboard so I could speed the fan up faster than it was requesting. Luckily, the Gigabyte motherboard doesn't care. It just says "Here is 5-12v volts, do what you want with it."

Code:
        `*******************************************************
        `PICAXE 3-wire to 4-wire fan controller with
        `auxiliary temperature sensor speed boost
        `v1.0 - Jaun Lobo
        `
        `Inputs:
        `  C.1 = Pin 2 of motherboard fan via 7.5k/4.7k divider
        `  C.4 = TMP36 temp sensor (mounted to GPU heatsink)
        `
        `Outputs:
        `  C.2 = 25KHz PWM signal to pin 4 of PWM fan
        `
        `Motherboard Fan Input:
        `  1 - Ground
        `  2 - Fan voltage
        `  3 - Tach input
        `  4 - Not Connected (5v)
        `
        `Fan Controller Output:
        `  1 - Ground
        `  2 - 12 Volts
        `  3 - Tach output
        `  4 - PWM input
        `
        `Tach signal is passed through from fan to motherboard
        `*******************************************************
        #picaxe 08m2
        #terminal 4800
        #define testmode

symbol maxduty = 160
        symbol minduty = 48
        symbol boostsetpoint = 165

setfreq m4
        input C.1,C.4
        output C.2

`Set 25Khz/100% duty cycle
        pwmout 2, 39, maxduty
        `1 second at full blast
        pause 1000

`Set starting average voltage
        w2 = 960
        `Set starting average temp
        w4 = 150

`Sample current voltage
main:    readadc10 1, w1
        `Weighted average of 4 samples
        w2 = w2 * 3 + w1 / 4

`Sample current temp
        readadc10 4, w3
        `Weighted average of 4 samples
        w4 = w4 * 3 + w3 / 4

`Boost fan speed if temp over setpoint
        if w4 < boostsetpoint then
            w5 = 0
        else
            w5 = w4 - boostsetpoint * 3 max maxduty
        end if

`Duty should be 100% if adc >= 960 (maxduty * 6)
        w6 = w2 / 6 + w5 min minduty max maxduty
        pwmduty C.2, w6

#ifdef testmode
        sertxd("Voltage:", #w2, " Temp:", #w4, " Boost:", #w5, " PWM:(", #w6,"/", #maxduty, ")", 13, 10)
        #endif

pause 500
        goto main

The result is when the GPU get hot, the top fan gets a boost. Here is Valley running while monitoring the debug info from the Picaxe

FanControlRunning.jpg

Bamboreta, something I forgot about.... Instead of mounting the fan grill to the case, you may want to mount it to the fan itself. I am thinking of doing that, just to see if I can get a bit of the Mac Pro recessed lip effect of the real mac pro.

Finally got front panel jacks wired up and working in OSX. Detects when headphone/mic is plugged in, and sound control panel switches from Speaker to Headphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back