RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
When ethernet NICs are discussed there is always the issue mentioned that these (especially 10Gbit ones) run pretty hot and sufficient cooling is a must. But then on the other hand I see the current mac mini with 10Gbit option.
How does that work? Do they use those devices in liquid nitrogen? :)
Has anyone here ever used one with that option?

Edit: Intro removed after new thread was created by moderator.

Last edited:
May I ask a nonessential question OT?
When ethernet NICs are discussed there is always the issue mentioned that these (especially 10Gbit ones) run pretty hot and sufficient cooling is a must. But then on the other hand I see the current mac mini with 10Gbit option.
How does that work? Do they use those devices in liquid nitrogen? :)
Has anyone here ever used one with that option?

Yup. Given you your own thread in the Network forum.

:)

A single 10GbE port is generally cooled passively. My Asus Z690 ProArt has a single on-board 10GbE port, albeit there are chassis fans that keep circulating air.

I also have a standalone 5-port 10GbE switch that is entirely passively cooled (no fans inside). That one does get hot to the touch depending on how many ports are in use.

Keep in mind that the Mac mini does have a fan inside should it become necessary.

Keep in mind that the Mac mini does have a fan inside should it become necessary.
Ah you're right - still had the early fanless versions in mind.

Interesting though how much heat those 10Gbit NICs in mac mini or studio would produce under "non pro user" workload. Does it depend on load? I remember comments about NICs that were considered as "always hot", maybe early older gear from the last decade.
Or whether this use case would justify to go beyond 1 Gbit at all...

I am awaiting an Intel CT desktop NIC for my TrueNAS test rig as the onboard realtek was disappointingly slow as I filled up the NAS. Maybe that's still slow for that task but good enough for daily usage.

The short answer is that 10G NICs all need some cooling, that is some airflow going their way. Not necessarily a lot of airflow.

SFP+ (optical) uses less power, and thus generates less heat, than 10GBase-T (copper), especially for long runs, so cabling matters too.

Back