Contribute
Register

10.9.2 Update and spinning wheel of death at boot (Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hummm, I don’t see any of this problem on my Z77xUP5 TH or Z77MX-D3H TH, both using i7-3770K CPUs. On the UP5 system I am running an Radeon HD 6870 and I configure it in the …Boot.plist as seen below.

These machines are at 10.9.2 via combo update from 10.9.1. And no tweaks other then rolling back the audio.

And you might note that I am using “GraphicsEnabler=Yes”.

Using Chimera v2.2.1 r2248.

Good modding,
neil

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Duckweed</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>AtiPorts</key>
<string>4</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I have the "spinning wheel of death" on my GA-Z77-DS3H system with a GTX 640 card. I assume it's same "wheel of death" in that if you leave the kernel boot flags at default there is just a spinning wheel which gets more and more "bold" as time goes on. If you boot with -f -v then you are left with a black screen with a block cursor top-left.

This seems to be a problem that Hackintoshers were seeing back in the Mavericks DP4 days. The system actually comes up and I can ssh into it and I see that WindowServer is repeatedly crashing. There are tons of crash logs in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports with the following:

Code:
[FONT=courier new]Application Specific Information:
Assertion failed: (new_main != nullptr), function <anonymous namespace>::LogicalOperationGroup::LogicalOperationGroup(const <anonymous>::DisplaySet *const, const <anonymous>::DisplaySet *const), file Server/Packages/PKGDisplay.cc, line 1171.
[/FONT]

and using "dmesg" I can see that the "Screen 0 is being recycled with pid XXX".

I can temporaily solve it using the same solution suggested for DP4, and that is to unplug the monitor during boot and plugging it back in once it's booted. The system then works fine until user logs out and I am then unable to recover.

Reverting to 10.9.1 is not an option for me as that also had problems once OSX Server 3.0.2 was installed in that the login window mis-behaves and doesn't accept passwords after a certain period of time. At least that problem has gone.

I have also tried the Nvidia Web drivers and that makes no difference, so it's not the Nvidia drivers per-se (at least I don't think so).

Does anyone have any ideas?

*** UPDATE: SOLVED ***

Turns out it's a problem with the MiniDisplayPorts in the ATI Radeon 5770. If you use the DVI port, this problem does not exist, at least for me.

In order to get it to work with the MiniDisplayPorts (since I have multiple monitors), I changed "GraphicsEnabler=No" to "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist. No other changes were necessary.

Earlier in this thread I mis-stated my video card as an ATI Radeon 5000. It's actually a Radeon 5770 and I ordered it from OWC (macsales.com). It's an Apple video card that you could order with the older Mac Pros. Not sure how many other folks have this exact card (other 5770s may be different).

I have the same problem with:
i5-3570K + Z77-DS3H + AMD HD5850.

If I unplug the 5850 from my MB, the 10.9.2 works.

*** UPDATE: SOLVED ***

Turns out it's a problem with the MiniDisplayPorts in the ATI Radeon 5770. If you use the DVI port, this problem does not exist, at least for me.

In order to get it to work with the MiniDisplayPorts (since I have multiple monitors), I changed "GraphicsEnabler=No" to "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist. No other changes were necessary.

Earlier in this thread I mis-stated my video card as an ATI Radeon 5000. It's actually a Radeon 5770 and I ordered it from OWC (macsales.com). It's an Apple video card that you could order with the older Mac Pros. Not sure how many other folks have this exact card (other 5770s may be different).

Thanks, It is surely the DP problem, when I turned to DVI output, it goes OK.
But GraphicsEnabler=Yes DO NOT make DP output works, it is still broken.
My card is AMD/ATI Radeon 5850

I made some BIOS tweaks and now my GA HD6850 Radeon card is recognized. System profiler says "Radeon 6xxx series" but I think that's fixable with a kext. What I did was set the initial display from auto/IGFX to PEG and I disabled the internal graphics. I also only connected the DVI output during boot and plugged in the mini display port after boot, but not sure if that's necessary.

Hummm, I don’t see any of this problem on my Z77xUP5 TH or Z77MX-D3H TH, both using i7-3770K CPUs. On the UP5 system I am running an Radeon HD 6870 and I configure it in the …Boot.plist as seen below.

These machines are at 10.9.2 via combo update from 10.9.1. And no tweaks other then rolling back the audio.

And you might note that I am using “GraphicsEnabler=Yes”.

Using Chimera v2.2.1 r2248.

Good modding,
neil

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Duckweed</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>AtiPorts</key>
<string>4</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Neil,
Do you have your P8P67M-PRO running on 10.9.2? I am going to tackle this next weekend. Have been on 10.8.2 for the longest. Anything I should look out for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back