Contribute
Register

10.9.2 Update and spinning wheel of death at boot (Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

XQC

Motherboard
GA Z170 UD3
CPU
i7 6770K
Graphics
AMD RX580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,

unfortunately the 10.9.2 update doesn't play nicely with my configuration:

i7-3770K
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
Radeon HD 6670

After the update I get to the boot screen with the spinning wheel of death and the alternative verbose boot shows nothing of interest.

I "solved" this with copying the whole /System/Library/Extensions folder from my 10.9.1 time machine backup and the system boots up again (phew!). It's certainly not an ideal solution, but it works.

So the new drivers could cause boot problems.

Just as a warning to people with a similar setup.

Same MB and CPU here. Same problem.

Verbose mode shows it stopping on "vm swap subsystem is on".

I was able to boot from a cloned backup taken before the upgrade to 10.9.2. I copied the S/L/E folder from the clone to the main boot volume and I was able to boot. HOWEVER, there are several changed extensions in 10.9.2. I already know that iPhoto is all messed up, although I'm not sure that's related.

Bottom line: I'm going to revert to 10.9.1 even with the zero day SSL bug because I need to get work done and I'm not comfortable operating with outdated kexts.

Some other information about my system:
* I have an eSATA PCI card (Marvel 88SE9213 6G driverless)
* ATI Radeon 5000 PCIe card
* using onboard sound (Realtek 898), onboard network
* bluetooth is disabled with no external bluetooth adapter

I pulled the eSATA card out just to see if it would boot (as well as restore 10.9.2 S/L/E folder) and while I got further into the boot process than before, I was unable to get a login screen. Just a gray screen with a spinning wheel (occasionally). Judging from the hard drive activity light the computer seemed to be stuck in a loop of some sort.

Verbose mode revealed nothing (blank black screen).

Can't even boot into safe mode.

Will do a restore operation from a cloned drive to get back to 10.9.1.

Thank you for your insights.

The boot problem with 10.9.2 is certainly linked to a or several kext updates in the S/L/E folder. Unfortunately I don't have the time to find out which one is responsible, I have a working CCC backup on an external drive which I used to copy kexts back and forth, but it takes 10 minutes to boot every time.

Since my hackintosh is my main workstation I have to accept that this runs with outdated kexts... and the 0-day SSL exploit is closed at the same time. If it wasn't for that exploit I would have waited with the update much longer.

updated from 10.8 today, same problem, machine don't boot.
(gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R-2.0-FB board with a core i7 3.0 ghz / 24 gb ram and a ati 6870 graphic card.)

can boot in safe mode but not use multibeast, get a errorscreen. not only with multibeast also other software prompt errors by installing. is it because safe mode?

is there a solution???

greetings kristian

I have exact same setup as yours, but with NVIDIA GFX.

I had issue with monitors during the initial bootup after the upgrade, but all I did is reconfigure my 3 monitors (2 landscapes, 1 portrait) setup, and all set to go. No issue.

I wonder why many ppl have issues with the GFX.

Thank you for your insights.

The boot problem with 10.9.2 is certainly linked to a or several kext updates in the S/L/E folder. Unfortunately I don't have the time to find out which one is responsible, I have a working CCC backup on an external drive which I used to copy kexts back and forth, but it takes 10 minutes to boot every time.

Since my hackintosh is my main workstation I have to accept that this runs with outdated kexts... and the 0-day SSL exploit is closed at the same time. If it wasn't for that exploit I would have waited with the update much longer.

My hackintosh is also my primary workstation. But I can guarantee you, as a software developer, that if you run new system files on old kexts your OS will be unstable. For instance, I know when I had old kexts (S/L/E folder) in 10.9.2 all my photos in iPhoto looked like someone had scrambled their pixels into random colors. There was another app, I forget which one, that also had severe GUI issues. This is why I had to rollback to 10.9.1 because an unstable system is worse than a theoretical security issue (that has not been demonstrated in the wild yet).

Somehow this needs to get figured out. I spent an entire morning of an otherwise busy workday trying my best to solve it. I couldn't. Hopefully someone can provide some insight.

I should also add that I repaired permissions before the update to 10.9.2 and I ran the combo update. Did everything by the book.

My rig is straight from the Buyer's Guide in 2013 ("Hack Pro"). The only difference being the graphics card (Radeon 5000 - which I ordered from Apple and uses native OS X drivers) and eSATA card (which I removed while troubleshooting). It's not a video issue because it won't even boot into safe mode.

There must be thousands of people with my computer out there and, I'm just guessing, they haven't run the update yet. Once they do, there should be many more people reporting issues.

XQC, you have a very similar setup to mine. I have a GA Z77X-UP4 TH (vs your UP5 TH) and I have a GA HD6850 Radeon card; same CPU. I was wondering if you might take a moment to tell me which install method you used? I used unibeast to create the USB stick, clean install, and multi beast to install DSDT-free (sound driver, SATA driver, ethernet driver). Reason I ask is, I haven't been able to get my Radeon GPU to work. Are you using a DSDT file, or are you DSDT free? Is your Radeon GPU working? If so, any tricks you had to pull to get it to work? Thanks.

XQC, you have a very similar setup to mine. I have a GA Z77X-UP4 TH (vs your UP5 TH) and I have a GA HD6850 Radeon card; same CPU. I was wondering if you might take a moment to tell me which install method you used? I used unibeast to create the USB stick, clean install, and multi beast to install DSDT-free (sound driver, SATA driver, ethernet driver). Reason I ask is, I haven't been able to get my Radeon GPU to work. Are you using a DSDT file, or are you DSDT free? Is your Radeon GPU working? If so, any tricks you had to pull to get it to work? Thanks.

Hmm, wrote an answer a few hours ago, got the message that it will get reviewed by a mod... but still didn't appear.

Basically I wrote that I did it exactly like you, DSDT free and it worked almost out of the box. I had no special options set for the AMD GPU. I just installed sound, SATA and ethernet driver with multibeast after the first boot and that was it.

But I would recommend to try 10.9.1., since there seem to be many problems with the new update.

I myseld reverted back to 10.9.1 from a time machine backup, as the 10.9.2 system choked up on several occasions with the old S/L/E kexts and preview didn't work (pixel mess instead of pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back