Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Today, tonymac and I released a new version of MultiBeast that include SSDTs and fixes 10.7.4 Sandy Bridge power management issues.

For details on 10.7.4 power management, you can read our blog post here:
10.7.4 Power Management and Sandy Bridge CPUs
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2012/05/ ... ridge.html

So what is the story on these SSDT: they are based on what Greggen posted in the temp fix topic and have been optimized. So why did I optimize them? If you used his SSDT on a non-overclocked system, you would lose lower P-states; the more energy efficient states. So what I did was edit them down to cover the range for the maximum Turbo Boot frequency of the i5 or i7. That way on the appropriate CPU, you will see the lowest P-states and get the highest possible P-states too. As for the over-clocked SSDT, I reduced the maximum clock to 4.2 GHz since that is the maximum that OS X can report. I will do a blog post in more detail on why I did this and how to tweak.

I know there are implementation questions that I'll answer now:

1) Do I still need to use DropSSDT?
  • No, if you had added it you can remove it when you use one of these SSDTs.

2) Do I still need GeneratePstates?
  • In my testing I see the same results with or without it so it's safe to keep.

3) I'm not overclocking now but might be in the future, which one do I use?
  • It's up to you. If you use the overclock version on a non-overclocked system, you will lose some lower P-states or replace the SSDT when you decide to overclock.

4) What P-states should I see with these SSDTs?

• GA-Z68MA-D2H F10 BIOS (F9 DSDT from the database) i5-2500K.

With the i5-2500K running stock at 3.3 GHz and the i5 SSDT:
    Code:
    MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 17 18 19 20 21 34 35 36

• With the i5-2500K Overclocked to 4.2 GHz and the Overclocked SSDT:
    Code:
    MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 17 18 19 20 42

• GA-Z68XP-UD3 F10 BIOS (F8 DSDT from the database) i7-2600K.

With the i7-2600K running stock at 3.4 GHz and the i7 SSDT:
    Code:
    MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 17 18 19 20 21 38

• With the i7-2600K Overclocked to 4.2 GHz and the Overclocked SSDT:
    Code:
    MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 17 18 19 20 42

UPDATE 2012-05-18:

BIOS settings are very important when using these SSDTs.

Here are the appropriate settings required on a Gigabyte motherboard:

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.) -> Advanced Frequency Settings -> Advanced CPU Core Features

• Real-Time Ratio Changes in OS: Disabled
    Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech.: Enabled

Wow thanks guys. Tony, MacMan, the crew. I appreciate this very much, funny how I only had to drop back to 10.7.3 for a few days. Was having issues with Drop SSDT as well.

You guys fix stuff faster than Corporate companies. Lmao

:)

I used multibeast 4.5 installed generic i7 ssdt, added back gen p & c states, removed ssdtdrop but still only hitting 16 and 35.

Anyone know what's going on with my build? I'm hitting 13200 on geekbench with 10.7.3 was getting 15320.

I have the turbo mode set on my motherboard so my top end should be 44...

This is driving me nuts.

-mrengles

PS. I'm using nullpower, because the speedstepper hack is not available in multibeast for 10.7.4. Also no patched bios for the Asus Z77 boards yet.

Awesome work guys! Thanks for getting on this so quickly.

mrengles said:
I used multibeast 4.5 installed generic i7 ssdt, added back gen p & c states, removed ssdtdrop but still only hitting 16 and 35.

Anyone know what's going on with my build? I'm hitting 13200 on geekbench with 10.7.3 was getting 15320.

This is driving me nuts.

-mrengles

PS. I'm using nullpower, because the speedstepper hack is not available in multibeast for 10.7.4. Also no patched bios for the Asus Z77 boards yet.
With NullCPU I think this SSDT method is not working.

Mate94 said:
mrengles said:

This is driving me nuts.

-mrengles

With NullCPU I think this SSDT method is not working.

Do you know if there is a patched 10.7.4 speedstepper available for download?

In the main post it says the first i5 that is supported is the 2500. I am using the i5-2400 which the standard clock speed is 200MHz slower I believe. I have been affected by the 10.7.4 update and am wondering if it is safe for me to use this new fix?

When I added DropSSDT to chameleon before now the pc would fail to boot with something similar to TJMax=0.

Thank you for the update and hope it supports my system!

MacMan said:
1) Do I still need to use DropSSDT?
  • No, if you had added it you can remove it when you use one of these SSDTs.

2) Do I still need GeneratePstates?
  • In my testing I see the same results with or without it so it's safe to keep.

3) I'm not overclocking now but might be in the future, which one do I use?
  • It's up to you, if you use the overclock version on a non-overclocked system, you will lose some lower P-states. Or replace the SSDT when you decide to overclock.

Thanks for the answers MacMan! My 2600k is overclocked to 4.2 and the OC SSDT worked wonderfully. I removed GeneratePstates, GenerateCStates, and DropSSDT from my Boot.plist and my system works perfectly. Thanks for all the hard work and quick turnaround!

@Mate94

I found this in another forum post:

MacMan said:
... NullCPUPM disables Apple power management so you won't get TurboBoost. The only other thing I can think of is for you to try the flAKed SpeedStepper and then remove NullCPU...

MacMan was not referring to 10.7.4 in that thread, but did support what you said about nullpower. Guess I will just have to wait for a patched speedstepper update.

Thanks,

-MRengles

My results compared to the "10.7.4 temporary fix" thread

Z68X-UD7-B3 F9 with database DSDT, chimera 1.9.2
i7 2600

Geekbench scores
10.7.3: 11665

10.7.4: 5446

replacing "GeneratePStates" with "DropSSDT"
10.7.4: 11553

MultiBeast 4.5 SSDT; DropSSDT removed; GeneratePStates reactivated
10.7.4: 11858 (even 12948 with never version of Geekbench)

Gentlemen, I appreciate your attitude :thumbup: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back