Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I decide to finally go to 10.6.3

I download, install then restart.

I try to boot back into OSX, video not working (just black screen and monitor saying no signal). I try booting with -x. No keyboard/USB.

FML :(

jgv115 said:
I decide to finally go to 10.6.3

I download, install then restart.

I try to boot back into OSX, video not working (just black screen and monitor saying no signal). I try booting with -x. No keyboard/USB.

FML :(

There are solutions in this post about the 10.6.3 Update:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/03/ ... pdate.html

Best thing to do would be to download and burn the latest version of iBoot- on a separate computer. Then use that to access the drive. Then you can run 1.0.2 version or later of MultiBeast and select 10.6.2 IOUSBFamily.kext to reinstall the one from 10.6.2. Then reboot- from the hard drive.

Good luck!

I downloaded the newst iBoot ATI.

I went and put the CD in and booted from Snow Leopard. Black screen.

Then I went back into the CD and booted with -x. Black screen.

I'm going to reinstall.

This 10.6.3 is pissing me off. I'll just use HSF explorer on windows to get my files.

Ok now I can't install....

I put the iBoot ATI version in. Swap it with my retail 10.6.0 disk. Press enter. Everything loads then I get this:

ACPI-SMC-Platform.Plugin :: Start - waitforservice (resource matching Apple Intel CPU PowerManagement) times out.

Something along those lines.

I try booting with -x still the same problem.

Someone please help!

I can boot from the hard drive using safe mode but I don't have a keyboard and mouse to use.

I can't boot OSX from the latest iBoot ATi disk with -x or without -x. Does it have IDE support? I have an IDE drive.

I think my only option is to install the USB thingo from terminal.

How do I get into terminal? And what is my OSX's volume name? Is it the name that the tutorial told me to do: Snow Leopard?

You should have enabled remote login under sharing in the preferences. This would allow you to login via SSH from another machine or you could have enabled remote desktop and used the keyboard and mouse on another machine to fix your system.

You can get to terminal from the SL install disc but it sounds like your system won't even allow that now.

All else failing, you'll need to completely reformat that drive using a live CD for linux or gparted or some other tool.

This is why the first step before updating to 10.6.3 is to make sure you have alternative ways into your system or better yet, a clone of your system hard drive on a USB or firewire drive you can boot into if the upgrade fails.

There is still no workable solution for the 10.6.3 update, the only people applying that update should be people who have prepared for it in the ways I've just mentioned. Unfortunately, if you don't prepare you will end up starting all over again from zero.

You could probably boot single user mode, as that's text only and no need for graphics to be working. That will get you to be able to use bash-terminal (or whatever it is), to mount and edit file system; but may (probably wont) have kbd working if it's not also working under safe mode. Nevertheless, single user mode can be a lifesaver in other situations...

If you have USB hub to connect kbd/mouse to, or say Apple USB keyboard, then that should still work under 10.6.3 w/o that USB kext. Well, does for me, no problems.

ne0shell said:
You should have enabled remote login under sharing in the preferences. This would allow you to login via SSH from another machine or you could have enabled remote desktop and used the keyboard and mouse on another machine to fix your system.

You can get to terminal from the SL install disc but it sounds like your system won't even allow that now.

All else failing, you'll need to completely reformat that drive using a live CD for linux or gparted or some other tool.

This is why the first step before updating to 10.6.3 is to make sure you have alternative ways into your system or better yet, a clone of your system hard drive on a USB or firewire drive you can boot into if the upgrade fails.

There is still no workable solution for the 10.6.3 update, the only people applying that update should be people who have prepared for it in the ways I've just mentioned. Unfortunately, if you don't prepare you will end up starting all over again from zero.

If I can't repair my installation, I'm happy to reinstall... but it's just I can't get to the installation page with the iboot cd!!! Basically what it does is it gets past the chameleon screen but at the night screen (the black one with white text) something always stuffs up and it freezes.

and at humph, I have an USB hub. I will try that first. Thanks

jgv115 said:
ne0shell said:

If I can't repair my installation, I'm happy to reinstall... but it's just I can't get to the installation page with the iboot cd!!! Basically what it does is it gets past the chameleon screen but at the night screen (the black one with white text) something always stuffs up and it freezes.

and at humph, I have an USB hub. I will try that first. Thanks

Like I said, you need to reformat the drive first OUTSIDE of the OSX installation. Once you do that it will be just like it was the first time you installed and was able to. You might even want to try using the old version iBoot CD you used the first time around.

For some reason previous installations have an effect on later re install attempts. I believe it's OSX trying to hold onto certain files and drivers from the previous install in case you want to migrate them into the new one. Chameleon has been notoriously buggy when the system has an existing OSX / Chameleon setup on it.

thanks for the input guys.

I am able to get into OSX in safe mode with my keyboard and mouse plugged into a USB hub (weird yea?)

I reinstalled the 10.6.3 package and I am using Multibeast to install the UD4P DSDT. I also downloaded the USB family pack and ran that. I hope everything goes well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back