Core i7
Graphics
Intel
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
There has been some chatter in the inter webs about better support for NVMe drives in 10.13. So, moving forward, does that mean we wouldn't need to use patches for drives like Samsung NVMe 960 pro?

There has been some chatter in the inter webs about better support for NVMe drives in 10.13. So, moving forward, does that mean we wouldn't need to use patches for drives like Samsung NVMe 960 pro?

Correct - specially the Samsung NVMe 960 pro.

Any experience so far with this?

After reading an article, it seems right now there should be support but possibly not bootable support for NVMe. I bet there's an update when the new Mac Pros come out. Meaning 10.13.3 or something.

My USB installer would not see my 960 EVO, so I cloned my High Sierra (HS) install from SATA to the NVMe. No APFS support doing this....though the install file in 'applications' seemingly would allow install to the EVO when initiated from within the SATA HS install, but would upon restart, give the circle-with-slash. So for me, boot via a cloned to NVMe/hfs volume install, yes, boot to install to fresh or preinstalled macOS NVMe via USB/installer from within SATA install to NVMe, no. I wonder if my lack of NVMe recognition via USB is because of the systems 'MP 6.1' model description...

Last edited:

Since I heard this mentioned a while back I've been wondering if the kext might be something that could be plugged into Sierra to get native NVMe support without patches etc. Would be cool to have that in the meantime until all the kinks are worked out in High Sierra.

I do nothing about patching driver blahblah, but Intel 600p NVMe works perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back