Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming-5
CPU
Intel i7-6700k
Graphics
Gigabyte Radeon RX560 Gaming OC 2G
I was running 10.12.4 just fine and updated to 10.12.5. This leads to a blank screen upon booting up. Running in verbose mode the last message is:
IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0
This is the same issue reported in this thread. The suggested solution was to boot up with a with a Unibeast USB and install the kexts.

The problem I am running into now is that when I boot up using the USB drive I used for the original install the system get stuck on a gray screen with a spinning mouse cursor and never progresses past that point. My hardware is the same and my BIOS settings are unchanged. However I have been using BIOS F22 previously and when I originally installed everything I was using an older BIOS version.

Any ideas how to get past this? Any assistance is much appreciated.

My hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5, Intel HD 530 Graphics, i7 6700k.

• In BIOS Features:
    • Fast Boot: Disabled
    • VT-d: Disabled
    • Windows 8/10 Features: Other OS
    • LAN PXE Boot Option ROM: Disabled
    • Storage Boot Option Contro: UEFI Only
    • Network Stack: Disabled
  • In Peripherals:
    • Initial Display Output: IGFX
    • XHCI Hand-off: Enabled
  • In Chipset:
    • VT-d: Disabled

Try to boot from USB with the HD unplugged see if it boots , if it boot means you have to erase the hd and reinstall the OS ( i did this way and now i'm fine with the latest sierra ) unplugging the HD was the only way i manage to pass the boot screen when it get stuck but i'm sure there is a solution to your problem but i'm not enought expert to help you, just to let u know how i fix it

Hi, try this with my experience. Now my custom mac works fine on 10.12.5.

LatteCat, Thanks a lot for the tip! That allowed me to boot into my system again.

From Clover Boot
Select Options > Graphics Injector > FakeID
For FakeID I replaced 0x00000000 with 0x12345678.

Interestingly this also allowed my system to use 4k resolution whereas previously it maxed out on 1080p.

Now I'll need to install the Lilu.kext and IntelGraphicsFixup.kext and hopefully that will fix everything.

After using kext beast to install lilu.kext and intelgraphicsfixup.kext (for 10.12.5's blank screen issue) I get a kernel panic on booting up.

8j1aLpm.jpg

I'm quite at a loss at what to do next.

Is it ok to just delete the kext directories from /Library/Extensions?
If so how do I get into a state where I can even just delete them?

My original issue started here, but that was marked Solved so I didn't want to reopen with this seemingly different issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back