Contribute
Register

10.11.0-10.11.3 Skylake Starter Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skylake Starter Guide

17,1 works fine with a single monitor and the board-ix patch in Clover. I'm only using 1080p displays which makes it all the more confusing. Originally I thought it was the cabling (I posted in the Graphics forum about that) but after hooking up my monitors in a bunch of different ways I would always get the reset if they were both connected at boot.

(Combinations I tried: 2x DP -> HDMI passive, 2x DP -> HDMI active, HDMI + DP-HDMI passive, HDMI + DP-HDMI active, DVI + DP-HDMI active, DVI + HDMI)

My best guess is that there's something else going on in the AppleGraphicsControl kext aside from the EDID injection, since it happens at about the same time as the "regular" black screen would occur.

The only other relevant setting I can think of is that I have IGP disabled in the BIOS.

EDIT: I attached my config.plists for 14,1 and 17,1, maybe someone can see if there's secret sauce I'm missing.

I've the exact same graphics card as you and I had a little trouble booting with dual monitors and the reason I found was a BIOS setting. I'm not sure how it is worded in the Gigabyte BIOS but in the ASUS Z170 Deluxe under Advanced/Boot:

CSM - Compatibility Support module
CSM Support = Enabled
Boot from PCI-E/PCI Devices = Default is Legacy First, I've set it to UEFI Driver First

This has allowed me to boot dual monitors, haven't tested a third but I'd assume it would be ok. Worth a shot at least. You'll still require the Display Policy patch otherwise you'll get no signal to either monitor.

Ah I've had that exact problem!

There is a problem on my machine (not sure if others are affected), where using the idx patch stopped my secondary monitor from working and even invoked a reboot. Use the specific (config2 to none) patch in the AppleGraphicsControl plist file instead.

It does not work optimally, as I'm unable to change my wallpapers unless I turn off "Displays have separate spaces", which I suspect is caused by something else in the iMac 17,1 config (I haven't tested other smbios as I don't need that feature anyway).

Take a look above and give it a try.

Skylake Starter Guide

ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel Core i7 6700K - EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

Thanks a lot for this great guide. Here's my pleasant experience with El Capitan install on Skylake. After updating the Asus Bios to 1204 and setting the recommended BIOS settings, I followed ammulder's Skylake Starter Guide exactly to modify "config.plist", and used "IntelMausiEthernet" and "SSDT-USB-Z170-ProGaming.aml".

There were absolutely no issues with the installation followed by a smooth boot into El Capitan 10.11.3 – after having to wait for the morning because I forgot to buy a USB mouse as I only had a Bluetooth Magic Mouse... :)

What immediately worked
- System definition showed iMac17,1
- All 32 GB RAM recognized
- USB keyboard, mouse, and USB 2.0 and 3.0 memory sticks
- Ethernet

What didn't work - and the fixes
- Audio. So, I ran MultiBeast 8.0.1 and set "Realtek ALC1150" and "Clover UEFI Boot Mode" as a minimal selection. After that, I wasn't able to reboot anymore (stuck at "Still waiting for root device"). According to various posts, this is a problem with USB. I tried MultiBeast with various selections but I was never able to boot anymore (same "waiting for root device" problem) afterwards and had to do a new install every time. So I decided to skip MultiBeast.
As a workaround, I used audio_CloverALC (https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC) to add ALC1150 to the EFI.
To make my system disk bootable, I used "Clover_v2.3k_r3320-UEFI.pkg" (under Downloads - El Capitan Install Tools). I copied the kext files and "config.plist" from my USB stick to the EFI of the harddisk.
Both audio and booting work.
- Graphics. As you are aware, there are some graphics glitches when using the mainboard Intel HD 530 graphics. The fix is using a graphics card.
My NVIDIA GPU however needed the following step to work. Fix is not to use iMac15,1 or iMac17,1 or MacPro 6,1 system definitions, as described here (http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/161256-solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.html) by slim.jim (Problem 4). After that, my GTX 980 Ti works.

Again thanks!

Thank you luke-99 for this post! :clap: It helped me a lot to get my first ever hackintosh working properly!

My hardware:
ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming, i7-6700K, EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC 4GB ALC2.0, 16GB Corsair 2666MHz

I followed the guide in the first post to setup BIOS and get my config.plist configured. I used IntelMausiEthernet.

Some noticeable things that I had to do to get this working:
1. nv_disable=1 to get into install (set once in Options at Clover boot)
2. nv_disable=1 to get FIRST boot from disk after install (set once in Options at Clover boot)
3. At first boot:
  • Skip MultiBeast and instead use "Clover_v2.3k_r3320-UEFI.pkg" from El Capitan Install Tools (can be found in Downloads) to make disk bootable
  • For audio use "audio_CloverALC" from https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC - use .command and answer yes (y) to all in terminal
  • Copy everything in kexts and the config.plist from USB EFI to system EFI
  • Install NVIDIA Web Drivers for 10.11.3 and finally reboot
  • At this point boot with nv_drv=1 (this is default) and of course no longer use nv_disable

These steps were crucial in avoiding the prohibit sign / waiting for root device error.

I used the MacPro3,1 system definition. All RAM recognized.

---

One thing I want working which is not:
I want to use the front audio panel, but doesn't seem to work properly. Is this possible? Is it due to a SSDT config? In Sound settings in OSX both "Internal Speakers" and "Line Out" settings output audio from the back panel (two different outputs). If I plug in my headphones in the front panel though, the "Internal Speakers" recognizes this and changes to "Headphones" but the audio is (very) broken, and at the same time it outputs perfectly on the back.

Any clues?

Skylake Starter Guide

I have created a bootable USB with Unibeast on a mac and after it boots and then I select external for the usb in the menu, I get the following screen: [...] And after this the the installation process stops, the bar doesn't even start loading and doesn't do anything.

Please boot verbose (space bar from the Clover menu) and post a photo of the screen where it stops.

Skylake Starter Guide

Please boot verbose (space bar from the Clover menu) and post a photo of the screen where it stops.

Hey, really appreciate your help!
FullSizeRender-1.jpg

This is where it stops!

Thanks for your help!

Skylake Starter Guide

Thanks cnrd and wildwillow! I'll give it a try when I have some spare time and report back.

On the Gigabyte BIOS at least, CSM support doesn't appear unless the OS type is set to Win8/10 but I assume that's not going to be too much of a problem.

Skylake Starter Guide

Thank you luke-99 for this post! :clap: It helped me a lot to get my first ever hackintosh working properly!

One thing I want working which is not:
I want to use the front audio panel, but doesn't seem to work properly. Is this possible? Is it due to a SSDT config? In Sound settings in OSX both "Internal Speakers" and "Line Out" settings output audio from the back panel (two different outputs). If I plug in my headphones in the front panel though, the "Internal Speakers" recognizes this and changes to "Headphones" but the audio is (very) broken, and at the same time it outputs perfectly on the back.

Any clues?

Does the headphones jack work in Linux or Windows?

Skylake Starter Guide

Looks like I already had CSM enabled, since under the Gigabyte BIOS it seems to "stick" if you toggle it on while it's in Windows 8/10 mode and then switch to "Other OS".

CSM on + iMac17,1 + both displays + board-ix patch: forced reboot
CSM on + iMac17,1 + both displays + manually editing the AGDP config for my board-id to "None": it works!

Since I'm going to have to boot with nv_disable at least once after every system update to install NV web drivers anyway, re-editing the plist won't really be that much of a pain. And there's probably going to be a non-5K Skylake iMac eventually that will fix the compatibility problem for good.

Skylake Starter Guide

I've the exact same graphics card as you and I had a little trouble booting with dual monitors and the reason I found was a BIOS setting. I'm not sure how it is worded in the Gigabyte BIOS but in the ASUS Z170 Deluxe under Advanced/Boot:

CSM - Compatibility Support module
CSM Support = Enabled
Boot from PCI-E/PCI Devices = Default is Legacy First, I've set it to UEFI Driver First

This has allowed me to boot dual monitors, haven't tested a third but I'd assume it would be ok. Worth a shot at least. You'll still require the Display Policy patch otherwise you'll get no signal to either monitor.

Thanks, I have completely disabled CSM support, to ensure a full UEFI boot chain, Gigabyte uses the UEFI as default when CSM is enabled (I will try to play with the CSM and UEFI settings when Iv'e got the time).

What I'm seeing is the following: At boot up (The moment the monitors turn on) I have the wallpaper on my secondary monitor show up on my primary, then after about 1 second, both monitors flash black (Like when you connect a monitor on a real Mac) and the wallpaper goes to the second monitor.

I'm not completely sure, but I think it in some way creates "virtual" monitors that gets deleted every time I reboot, which is why the wallpaper won't stick.

If I turn off "displays have separate spaces" then it does not do the go to black for a split second thing, the problem also does not happen if I do not connect a monitor to the dual-link DVI port, but use a DP -> mDP -> HDMI -> DVI adapter (With a 1200p monitor), which I'm unable to do as my secondary monitor only has a dual-link DVI and is 2560x1440p.

Also even if my primary monitor (DP connected) is the one showing BIOS, Clover and OS X boot screens, OS X still uses the DVI connected monitor as default primary display.

Skylake Starter Guide

Thanks for this. I can get to the gray screen with the spinning beach ball, but it doesn't go any further than that.

Is this a tell-tale sign of a particular problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back