Contribute
Register

10.11.0-10.11.3 Skylake Starter Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skylake Starter Guide

Quick question: What's the current workaround for Ethernet then? Can we get a third party Ethernet card and slap it in? I think that's the main thing holding me back at the moment.

I'm looking to build a new hackintosh primarily for high end motion graphics/video editing work.
I'm thinking GA-Z170X-UD5 TH, 64GB RAM, 6700k, Samsung M.2 SSD, and GTX 980Ti. I'm not interested in integrated graphics etc. As long as built in audio and USB works, I should be off to the races, but I need Gig ethernet as my entire studio is wired.

Any thoughts/comments would be most appreciated.

I have been doing work work full-time on my Skylake system with an Nvidia card and third-party m.2 WiFi/BT card, and I'm very pleased.

But Thunderbolt 3 is not supported as far as I know and there's no ETA. No ETA on good integrated graphics support or i219 Ethernet support either.

Skylake Starter Guide

Quick question: What's the current workaround for Ethernet then? Can we get a third party Ethernet card and slap it in? I think that's the main thing holding me back at the moment.

I'm looking to build a new hackintosh primarily for high end motion graphics/video editing work.
I'm thinking GA-Z170X-UD5 TH, 64GB RAM, 6700k, Samsung M.2 SSD, and GTX 980Ti. I'm not interested in integrated graphics etc. As long as built in audio and USB works, I should be off to the races, but I need Gig ethernet as my entire studio is wired.

Any thoughts/comments would be most appreciated.

I have that exact setup. It works great. I bought StarTech ST1000SPEX2 PCI-E Ethernet adaptor and I'm all set.

Skylake Starter Guide

Oh man, that makes me excited! :D Did you follow the guide in this thread to set things up and that was enough to get it all working? Was the M.2 drive recognized automatically or was there any tricks you had to do to get it to mount?

I have that exact setup. It works great. I bought StarTech ST1000SPEX2 PCI-E Ethernet adaptor and I'm all set.

Skylake Starter Guide

FYI, I've been able to get running on an ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac. So far I've had to disable Legacy USB support in BIOS, which means only a PS/2 keyboard/mouse works in the BIOS and Clover menu (but all USB devices work in OS X). First post updated with a USB SSDT for this board.

Skylake Starter Guide

Is your Z170A materially different from the previous poster's Z170A Gaming 3?

Edit: you don't need the E1000, Atheros, or Realtek kexts. UniBeast put some common network drivers out there, but none of those are applicable to your board.

I'm not sure.

I removed those kext files .. still not sure what to do.

Skylake Starter Guide

Oh man, that makes me excited! :D Did you follow the guide in this thread to set things up and that was enough to get it all working? Was the M.2 drive recognized automatically or was there any tricks you had to do to get it to mount?

Yes I followed the guide in this thread. I used the config in the first post as a starting point. I followed the tips for USB and grabbed the SSDT in the bottom of the second post for the z170x-ud5 th. On 10.11.1 I have working USB, sound, graphics with the Nvidia web drivers, after following the guide to edit the AppleGraphicsControl kext file plist and ethernet by using a Realtek 8111 based PCI-E Card. The system is super stable and runs great. I am using the SM951 AHIC version (not nvme version) and it boots from it right away.

Drop me a PM if you run into any trouble.

Skylake Starter Guide

Yes I followed the guide in this thread. I used the config in the first post as a starting point. I followed the tips for USB and grabbed the SSDT in the bottom of the second post for the z170x-ud5 th. On 10.11.1 I have working USB, sound, graphics with the Nvidia web drivers, after following the guide to edit the AppleGraphicsControl kext file plist and ethernet by using a Realtek 8111 based PCI-E Card. The system is super stable and runs great. I am using the SM951 AHIC version (not nvme version) and it boots from it right away.

Drop me a PM if you run into any trouble.
That settles it I am buying the z170x ud5 th the next time I see a decent deal on it.

By the way, we can't pm people until we have 75 posts.

Skylake Starter Guide

carsonp, can you post your config and other things you have done? no stuck on installscreen?

Skylake Starter Guide

ANY HELP SOMEONE ? !
I followed the guide in this thread but no luck still stuck in (still waiting root device..) ! i have asus z170 pro gaming i5-6k ! i tried everything on the internet every solution i found ! stil stuck :( !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back