Contribute
Register

10.11.0-10.11.3 Skylake Starter Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skylake Starter Guide

How likely does it look that eventually skylake will have the same support that boradwell/haswell have? If I were to buy parts now and take advantage of sales would I be foolish to invest in skylake stuff and for the time being just use windows until it works or does it look like skylake might never be supported?

Specifically I was looking at the z170x ud5 th and the gaming 7, both from gigabyte.

Skylake Starter Guide

How likely does it look that eventually skylake will have the same support that boradwell/haswell have? If I were to buy parts now and take advantage of sales would I be foolish to invest in skylake stuff and for the time being just use windows until it works or does it look like skylake might never be supported?

Specifically I was looking at the z170x ud5 th and the gaming 7, both from gigabyte.

If you're willing to wait long enough eventually Apple will release more Macs with Skylake hardware and then OS X should be easier to install. That's the hoped for scenario, but we cannot predict the future or what Apple will do so there is some risk involved. It's always rough going for early adopters, so if you can't wait for full support then a Haswell refresh build in the Buyer's Guide is the sure thing. Deals on them are better than those of Skylake systems too. If you won't need more than 32 GB of ram I'd say that Haswell is the better choice right now.

Skylake Starter Guide

I was more interested in a platform having thunderbolt 3 but I guess I have some thinking to do about that.

Skylake Starter Guide

I have been doing work work full-time on my Skylake system with an Nvidia card and third-party m.2 WiFi/BT card, and I'm very pleased.

But Thunderbolt 3 is not supported as far as I know and there's no ETA. No ETA on good integrated graphics support or i219 Ethernet support either.

Skylake Starter Guide

So if I am understanding correctly, skylake does physically function in its current for to work, it is just not working very well and will eventually get better. Even if thunderbolt 3 doesn't work for the next year or two, I am fine with that. I just didn't want to invest in an architecture that is already antiquated (haswell and ddr3). So it appears that it is indeed very promising. I think I will invest in skylake hardware when it is at a reasonable price (so highly possible tomorrow) and hold off on implementing el capitan until there is a better guide. Who knows maybe I can be of assistance in getting skylake support for el capitan.

Even if skylake doesn't work until q1 or q2 of 2016 that is fine with me.

Skylake Starter Guide

Installed successfully (With many issues) on MSI Z170A Gaming 3 Board, all details of my configuration can be found in my signatures. Nvidia Graphics not working on my GTX 750 Ti, Only USB 2.0 external drives work. Unable to boot without nv_disable=1. Sometimes the system triggers the USB 3.01 Error, sometimes I get the "Wake up not working" error. after trying for 5-6 time, it takes me to the mac. Sharing my config file here.

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.2 KB · Views: 370
Skylake Starter Guide

Your config.plist has some errors (such as a KextsToPatch block in the SMBIOS section), which would explain some of your issues. It also has a lot of flags set that I wouldn't have expected and not some that I would have expected. I'm not sure whether that part is a result of trial and error, so perhaps it's all necessary.

Do you have the Nvidia Web drivers installed?

Skylake Starter Guide

Your config.plist has some errors (such as a KextsToPatch block in the SMBIOS section), which would explain some of your issues. It also has a lot of flags set that I wouldn't have expected and not some that I would have expected. I'm not sure whether that part is a result of trial and error, so perhaps it's all necessary.

Do you have the Nvidia Web drivers installed?

Finally got everything working.... here is the final config file i'm sharing. I have total 10 USB Ports (8 Back & 2 Front), out of these 8 are working now. Audio patched to ALC 1150 with Multibeast 8.

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.6 KB · Views: 451
Skylake Starter Guide

You have put USBInjectAll.kext in there, but you haven't installed the port limit patch, so it's not really expected to work fully. See section 5.1 of the first post, and put that patch in your config.plist. Then see if you get past the prohibited sign.

It really means a lot that you are helping us out .. I add the patch on the config file still .. I'm not sure if I need all those Kexts. or not.

It might be best to take the clover file of someone who went a little farther than me with the same motherboard Asus z170-A .

but I'm willing to try more things if possible .

Skylake Starter Guide

Is your Z170A materially different from the previous poster's Z170A Gaming 3?

Edit: you don't need the E1000, Atheros, or Realtek kexts. UniBeast put some common network drivers out there, but none of those are applicable to your board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back