Contribute
Register

[Success] BacMook's Build - i7 4770k - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H - 32GB RAM - GTX 760 2GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Success] BacMook's Build - i7 4770k - GA-X87X-UD4H - 32GB RAM - GTX 760 [Working Audio!] 2GB

Noticed a few typos in the title. Please could a mod change it to:

[Success] BacMook's Build - i7 4770k - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H - 32GB RAM - GTX 760 2GB
Done.

Thanks Stork :)

I upgraded to Mavericks on Thursday using a USB stick and it went perfectly. There's no longer any need to go through that weird process to get audio working on this board. The current drivers in Multibeast work brilliantly. Current MultiBeast config:

Screen Shot 2013-10-26 at 14.27.56.png
Now that I can boot with Kernel cache enabled, the machine boots up so much faster.

Mavericks detects my GPU properly now (ML reported it as a GK104):

Screen Shot 2013-10-26 at 14.31.16.png
I dropped my overclock from 4.4GHz to 4GHz for stability. New benchmarks:

Screen Shot 2013-10-26 at 15.14.49.jpgScreen Shot 2013-10-26 at 15.12.31.jpgScreen Shot 2013-10-26 at 15.10.00.png

Since the original post I've added a LiteOn iHAS120 DVD writer to this machine and it works perfectly.

I added

Code:
    <key>SMmaximalclock</key>
    <string>4000</string>

to my SMBios to fix reporting of my overclock in System Information. Mavericks was reporting 3.9GHz even though the OC is 4GHz.

[Edit]
iMessage now working by including FileNVRAM 1.1.2 in /Extra/modules (1.1.3 does not work).

I have almost identical setup with you albeit monitor, mouse, keyboard, bluetooth.

Can I ask you what you have used for wifi adapter? sorry if its listed already but I cant seem to locate it.

I have tl-wn881nd and cant seem to get my wifi to work..

thanks~

Hi Bacmook,

I've got a question regarding your geekbench results. Are they 32 or 64 bit results?
In comparison to my results your results seem to be quite high and I'm wondering if this is only due to your amount of memory sind even withsetting the turbo multiplier to 40x I don't get your score.

Thanks for answering in advance

dasdf

PS. Using Mavericks: How many differents states is your processor using? Still only three?

Can I ask you what you have used for wifi adapter? sorry if its listed already but I cant seem to locate it.

Hi,

No wifi adapter in this build. I'm using gigabit ethernet instead.

Hi Bacmook,

I've got a question regarding your geekbench results. Are they 32 or 64 bit results?
In comparison to my results your results seem to be quite high and I'm wondering if this is only due to your amount of memory sind even withsetting the turbo multiplier to 40x I don't get your score.

Thanks for answering in advance

dasdf

PS. Using Mavericks: How many differents states is your processor using? Still only three?

I'm not sure what would cause the difference. What score are you getting? I'm over clocked to 4GHz, but you seem to have tried that too. They are 64bit results. Are you using a MacPro3,1 system definition?

I seem to get 6 P states. Unfortunately it jumps around between 8 and 35 a lot, but doesn't get anywhere in between. I'm not sure how to improve that.

Screen Shot 2013-10-27 at 22.16.33.png

Hi Bacmook,

thanks for your reply. I guess the differences are based on the memory and the 64 bit. Especially your single core score is higher than mine and I think it this will be due to 64 vs 32 bit. And yes, I'm using the MacPro3.1 definition.
I'm also not sure what to do about the p states, I'd love to have a 15 and 25 state or something...I will have to do further research there...

So this afternoon I did some research on the geekbench results: There is quite some difference between 32 and 64 bit. The i-4770k 32 bit score is about 300-500 points lower than the 64 bit score. So this is why our results are so different.
Regarding the p states:
There is a app called ssdtPRGen which has haswell support and allows you to create more p states. Until now I did not have the time to try it, but I will do so next weekend or so. I'll keep you posted :thumbup:

Ok..so I couldn't wait to use the p state generator:
Either I did it wrong or it is not working. The shell script works perfectly and I get the .aml file, but after rebooting and loading it I don't get more states...

Ok..so I couldn't wait to use the p state generator:
Either I did it wrong or it is not working. The shell script works perfectly and I get the .aml file, but after rebooting and loading it I don't get more states...

Hi dasdf, tonymac banned me for some post for 14 days lol and I couldn't get back to you re: this.

I've also tried generating a proper ssdt using ssdtprgen but it doesn't seem to work. I then tried changing the smbios to a 14,2 imac which should have haswell support but no luck. I guess we'd all like to hear a solution to this but I'm kind of surprised that people aren't talking about this more. For. ex. sometimes I view flash content in safari and the p state stays at the highest non-turbo state during the entire video when it could go down and save a ton of power.

Here's some more information some blogger posted regarding changes to applecpupowermanagement - http://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2013/10/05/xnu-cpu-power-management/

hope this helps.

Hi Nightlite,

I've already been wondering what happened to you ;-)
I'm following the blog of pikeralpha, but at the moment this is more of theoretical use for me. I don't have to much experience in os x coding and I guess we will have to wait a bit longer. I'm also suspecting that there will be some updates when the new macpro will be released and those might help us...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back