Contribute
Register

Stork's Zorro Build: Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Stork's Sandy Bridge Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000 - Lion

Stork, are you running Lion 10.7 or 10.7.2 on this system? If the latter, is it fairly straightforward to upgrade from 10.7 to 10.7.2?

I think I'm going to go straight to Lion when I get my rig built (using a unibeast USB drive) and then update with the combo installer. Looks like unibeast would be much easier than having to install Snow Leopard first.

Something else I noticed and don't understand (please excuse my ignorance of such things--I've been using Macs for 26 years so have no understanding of BIOS):

In the OP you said:

"I booted into the BIOS to update to the latest BIOS version."

How do you update to the latest BIOS version?

Thanks for all the help so far!

EddyMac said:
Stork, are you running Lion 10.7 or 10.7.2 on this system? If the latter, is it fairly straightforward to upgrade from 10.7 to 10.7.2?
10.7.2. Yes. I used the Combo Upgrade, running repair permissions before the update, MultiBeast before the rebooting the Update and, after the reboot, repairing permissions again.

EddyMac said:
I think I'm going to go straight to Lion when I get my rig built (using a unibeast USB drive) and then update with the combo installer. Looks like unibeast would be much easier than having to install Snow Leopard first.
With UniBeast you either have to have 10.6.8 already installed or use a Mac to create the USB installer thumb drive. If you use the current MAS Install Lion app, you'll get 10.7.2.

EddyMac said:
...In the OP you said:

"I booted into the BIOS to update to the latest BIOS version."

How do you update to the latest BIOS version?...

- Download the latest BIOS which is a Win 7 .exe file;

- Use Stuffit to extract the BIOS (Yes, it will do it);

- Put the BIOS file on a USB stick formatted as FAT32;

- Boot into the BIOS and, at the BIOS Post screen hit the key for Q-Flash;

- Select the USB thumb drive, select the BIOS update, and watch it load;

- Reboot and off you go.

Well, that's how I remember it. Something like that. ;) You can also search the Forum for BIOS update or upgrade.

Stork said:
With UniBeast you either have to have 10.6.8 already installed or use a Mac to create the USB installer thumb drive. If you use the current MAS Install Lion app, you'll get 10.7.2.

I have a house full of Macs! LOL

Thanks for the multibeast screenshot. This would be very helpful. Know I have to wait for my board...

The case, i7 processor, and LG CD/DVD drive have arrived. The other stuff should all be here tomorrow.

Does anyone know of a good, detailed guide on how to put all this stuff together?

The most computer assembly I've ever done is to plug in the mouse and keyboard of the various Macs I've bought down through the years.

Any help much appreciated.

Does anything special has to be done for the HD3000 to work?
I can't seem to get it working. Only get 1024x768 resolution and animations don't work.

Thanks

You can search the 'net for building a PC, but it's quite easy. Your mobo will have a book that shows how to do the installation. Here's a synopsis.

Install the PSU. If you have a modular PSU, only plug in the cables you'll need for the mobo, graphics card (if any), DVD and hard drives. Snake them around if your case has cable management like my 600T does.

Mobo next. Before inserting the mobo, put the CPU on the the mobo. Then, clean the top of the CPU with alcohol and use a coffee filter (lint free) to wipe it dry. Put the CPU cooler thermal paste on the CPU and install the CPU cooler.

Next, add your memory. Now, put the mobo in the case and screw it down.

Install your drives and hook up the power and SATA cables to the drives. Hook the SATA cables to the mobo. I've learned the following is best hook up:
  • SATA0 -> DVD drive
    SATA1 -> Mac OS Drive
    SATA2-n -> other drives
Install the fan and front panel header cables (see mobo book).

Finally, install the graphics card. I'd wait to button the case up until you've installed your OS especially if you're dual or triple booting. See the install guides in my signature block.

I've probably left something out, but that's the main stuff.

OK thanks Stork.

My build is exactly the same as yours except for the hard drives. I literally just clicked through to Amazon and Newegg and ordered the parts you listed. So I have the same case, same motherboard, same processor, etc.

Is the thermal paste you talk about supplied or do I need to buy some?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back