Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it was a fun build, I got everything to work pretty well, except the sound was kind of weird. (This was the exact same hardware listed in the article.)

But I figured there would always be something that isn't quite right, and I'd never know if I could trust it completely, so tonight I installed Windows 7 64 bit, and guess what? Everything works! Could be because it's a PC, not a Mac. Plus, no Mac weirdness.

So, it's going to be my new media PC, hard to beat Windows Media Center and a tv tuner card.

Just built this config. Everything is working great so far.

However, if I try to remove the rBoot disc, I get a kernel panic.

I applied the 10.7.2 Combo Update, downloaded the DSDT-GA-H67N-USB3-B3-F7.aml
and ran Multibeast 4.0.3 with the options specified here.
download/file.php?id=14736&mode=view

When I try to boot from HDD, I get a kp.

Thoughts?

**EDIT** I didn't rename the DSDT file to DSDT.aml. Everything works now...so far so good...

toleda said:
HD3000 is not supported in Snow Leopard. What you got is all you get. For HD3000, the only option is Lion at this time.

Okay, I decided to go with the default Intel graphics HD3000 for this build. I have built straight to Lion using Gordo's instructions that I previously mentioned. The only gotcha that I had was during the MultiBeast setup after running the 10.7.2 Combo Update. I was getting Installation Failed, I retried 3 times and then decided to reboot the machine - leaving the rBoot disc in the DVD drive. I was able to get back to the desktop and rerun MultiBeast using Tony's setting listed at the top of this thread with SUCCESS!!! :D :D :D

Now I can play and look around and get the know Macs and Lion. My next build may be either an i7 or i5, which may turn out to be my main system. I could then potentially give this Mini to my wife. She prefers a smaller case for her main systems.

Thanks go our to toledo for the help, and to Tony and Gordo for the well written instructions.

PS: I am writing this post from my new Mac Mini 2011 system running Lion.

For who get sleep issues try this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0 npci=0x2000</string>

Has anyone successfully booted from an external drive? Does this MOBO support this?

Just installed the EvOreboot kext in MB, to try to get restart /shutdown working. When I rebooted all I get are kernel panics even on my backup partitions. Any ideas on how to fix the kp and get restart and shutdown working?

Montmac said:
I'm getting 70 MB/sec through the USB 3 ports on my H67N build. I'm using the USB 3 driver in MB 4.0.2

This is baffling. I'm using the USB3 driver from MB 4.0.3 with no luck :(. I see the "USB Super-Speed Bus" under the system profile, but have yet to see my Seagate USB3 drive connect. So maybe something changed from 4.0.2? I'm going to try and hunt it down...

Are you using the MacMini profile?
Is the device already connected during boot?
I'm assuming this is a USB3 drive your using?

Moonshine said:
Montmac said:
I'm getting 70 MB/sec through the USB 3 ports on my H67N build. I'm using the USB 3 driver in MB 4.0.2

This is baffling. I'm using the USB3 driver from MB 4.0.3 with no luck :(. I see the "USB Super-Speed Bus" under the system profile, but have yet to see my Seagate USB3 drive connect. So maybe something changed from 4.0.2? I'm going to try and hunt it down...

Try this.

Moonshine said:
Montmac said:

Yes, I am using the MacMini profile from MB 4.0.3.
The device isn't connected during boot.
I have 2 different sub $20 USB3 cases with 2.5" 500gb drives in them. The drive cases are 2 different brands as well.

I'm beginning to think that the screen artifacts that many are seeing are really a Lion issue, not one with the CustoMac Mini build. I am writing this on an older iMac (Core2Duo) and have been using 10.7.2 on it for about a week. Just today I began having some "artifacts." I had about 4-5 thin red lines going horizontally across the screen, only in white areas. They would sometimes be in slightly different places and were not totally continuous. Does this sound like what others are seeing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back