Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Connie Mac said:
I'm interested in dual displays but not HDMI audio - I need the green or black audio ports on the back to be active. Would you suggest I remove the Tuneup V3 kexts (i.e., restore to 10.7.2 vanilla)?

Thanks for you work on this - it is greatly appreciated.
The vanilla 10.7.2 AppleHDA.kext results in no audio devices; no inputs, no outputs.

toleda said:
The vanilla 10.7.2 AppleHDA.kext results in no audio devices; no inputs, no outputs.

OK, thanks. What would you recommend I do to get dual displays and sound out of the rear green (or black) port?

toleda said:
Regarding the black screen, set GraphicsEnabler=No -v at the boot prompt. You will get a VESA resolution and that should be enough to get to the next step.

Thanks, toleda! That worked. It got me past the black screen, but if I were to stay at 10.6.8 for whatever reason how do I correct the graphics problem - just run MultiBeast and add the option for GraphicsEnabler=No? What do I lose going this route?

scockman said:
Thanks, toleda! That worked. It got me past the black screen, but if I were to stay at 10.6.8 for whatever reason how do I correct the graphics problem - just run MultiBeast and add the option for GraphicsEnabler=No? What do I lose going this route?
HD3000 is not supported in Snow Leopard. What you got is all you get. For HD3000, the only option is Lion at this time.

Connie Mac said:
OK, thanks. What would you recommend I do to get dual displays and sound out of the rear green (or black) port?
** Edit - I found a problem so I'm removing the post/attachment temporarily. **

toleda said:
For MultiBeast 889 audio select both choices (ALC8xxHDA and AppleHDA rollback). No need to select anything else. The native Lion AppleHDA.kext does not support the ALC889. An 889 edited Lion AppleHDA.kext has been edited to enable 889 on board audio in Lion. Installation is performed by KextBeast or Kext Wizard. If you're interested, I can post a beta 889 edited Lion AppleHDA.kext to try.

If you think that the beta 889 edited Lion AppleHDA.kext would offer better performance (or even the same performance) than making the change using MultiBeast then I'd be very happy to give it a go. I'm assuming I'd simply put the AppleHDA.kext on the Desktop and run KextBeast and that's all I'd need to do, correct? Anyway, I won't change anything until I hear back from you, because I would like to give your solution a try.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see you previous message prior to posting. Thanks, will try it now.

toleda said:
Try the attachment. It is a beta edited 889 AppleHDA_v2.1.3 (10.7.2). It has:
1. Pink - Mic in front and rear (auto switching with mute) Note: Front Mic In reported as Line in
2. Green* - Speaker/Rear (Front Speakers in surround) and Headphones/Front (auto switching with mute)
3. Blue - Line In Rear.
4. Black* - Line Out Rear (Rear speakers in surround)
5. Orange* - Line Out Rear (Center/SubWoofer in surround)
6. SPDIF* - Optical Out Rear (Encoded digital audio in surround)

* Use Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup to configure analog 5.1 surround sound with 3 Line Outs and Optical Out for Encoded digital audio.

Installation: Copy unzipped AppleHDA.kext to desktop from 889HDA_V2.1.3 Folder in Downloads. Run KextBeast. Reboot. Verify in System Preferences/Sound/Output and Input.

Another note: AppleHDA.kext has no effect on dual displays.
Feedback welcome.

toleda, I've been testing this for over an hour now and here are my results. Keep in mind I only have a two channel stereo amp connected to this computer so have not used the Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup at all.

OUTPUT:
I show five output selections now:

Internal speakers: Sound through green "out" jack but it's still "muddy" (loss of high ends). Plugging headphones into front green jack does cause rear jack to silence but sound quality appears to be the same.

Line Out (first of two): This is exactly the same as the next entry but doesn't appear to send the sound anywhere.

Line Out (second of two): This is the one that sends crystal clear audio to the black "rear" jack. HOWEVER, this only works from the "sound" preference panel. Some programs (Zoiper, Audacity, etc.) have their own audio selectors and in those programs it shows the same group of audio selections, but NEITHER of the Line Out selections work. This is not good.

Digital Out: Didn't try this but strangely it does show as a selection.

iMic USB audio system: The audio output is actually working on this now (using headphones OR my amplifier), and it's good clean output, and everything (including Zoiper and Audacity) can use it. So for the moment that's my default output.

INPUT:
I show four input selections now:

Internal microphone: No joy here at all. Front jack is totally unresponsive. Rear mic jack produces an audible click when I plug in the microphone, but doesn't actually produce audio. It almost appears that it's not getting enough input from the microphone, but this is the same mic that works fine with the iMic USB device. If I crank the volume all the way up I get internal background noise, but tapping my finger on the microphone does nothing.

Line In: I didn't try this.

iMic USB audio system: This worked before and it works now.

Logitech EyeToy USB Camera: Before the mic on this produced "chipmunk sounds", now it produces clean input.

So to recap, the problems I am now having are:

"Muddy" sound on the green "out" jacks using built-in speakers.

Two appearances of "Line Out", only one of which works (to send output to the black "rear" jack) from programs that do not have a buit-in output selector, and neither of which works from programs that do have a built-in output selector.

Built-in Microphone inputs don't work - front one acts dead and rear one produces clicks only.

Do you want to try making any changes and let me test again? I'm good with the iMic USB device for now, but eventually I'd like to try getting the above issues resolved.

Paul said:
Montmac said:
I have used both of the recommended graphics cards and both work OOB. Graphics enabler=yes for the Nvidia GT240, Graphics enabler=no for the ATI 5570.

Both worked for me OOB with no artifacts whatsoever. Also the VGA ports worked as well.

Of note, the ATI 570 card was silent and the Nvidia GT240 was loud.

You used those graphic cards with the apex mi-008 250w psu? does it have enough power? if so il buy the 5570

Yes, worked fine.[/quote]
Can i have the exact model number of the graphic card you used?[/quote]

I hope it's okay to post this?

Sapphire HD5570 - Newegg part number N82E16814102874

TreeMan2011 said:
Most of us have had video artifacts (I suspect those who say they haven't don't try to play YouTube videos much, because certain formats of YouTube videos seem to trigger them even if you have pretty much expunged them otherwise) and sound issues of one kind or another. Some are blaming this on the Customac Mini Tuneup Kit (and actually, I'd love to know if there is a way to CLEANLY uninstall that once it's been installed, just to run some tests) but I installed that to get sound to work.
I just installed the tuneup kit correctly for the first time and now I have artifacts in youtube videos and random horizontal lines in the occasional safari window. My magic mouse and BT keyboard have also apparently gone haywire and I'm having to use an old keyboard and mouse now. It's still all fun though... :banghead:

TreeMan2011 said:
So to recap, the problems I am now having are:

"Muddy" sound on the green "out" jacks using built-in speakers.

Two appearances of "Line Out", only one of which works (to send output to the black "rear" jack) from programs that do not have a buit-in output selector, and neither of which works from programs that do have a built-in output selector.

Built-in Microphone inputs don't work - front one acts dead and rear one produces clicks only.

Do you want to try making any changes and let me test again? I'm good with the iMic USB device for now, but eventually I'd like to try getting the above issues resolved.
Thanks for the feedback. I pulled it when I discovered the Orange Line Out was not working. Regarding the green ports, I have good audio from both front and back. I realize you are the not only one with poor audio out of the green; I can't replicate the issue. When the issues are resolved, I will ask you to test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back