Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I finally got all my parts and after some trouble getting the lion installer working I have now have lion installed. A couple of notes

My system is pretty much the custo-mac
GA-H67N-USB3-B3, F7 Bios. with I5-2500K
8gig of Corsair CMX86X3M2A1333C9 Ram
1tb WD Black Harddrive
in the SG05 case
HDMI Monitor (No Audio)

DSDT installed, and all drivers as per tonymacx86's attachment in the first post, w/ Realtek ethernet. Did NOT install Tuneup kit.

1st. This thing is FAST :)

2nd. I couldn't get the xmove installer to install to a USB drive. It would freeze about 15% of the way and just sit there (estimated time would cont. to increase). I got it to work installing to a partition on the harddrive though.

3rd I noticed artifacts right away, and ALOT of them.. Then I realized that the video mem in the bios was still set at 64mb, changed that to 480mb and set voltage to 1.010.. It helped for a while then a few artifacts showed up.
I have decided to take out a stick of ram, and lower the bios mem to 384 (Matches the system profile in lion) and put the voltage to auto. I'm testing this now and I haven't had any artifacts (Playing a video now while working).. Maybe ?????

Anyway, playing around.. Any idea's why the usb drive didn't work with Xmove?

a couple of updates.
I put the ram back (8gig total) and set the memory in the bios to 480, and left the voltage on auto. Rebooted and artifacts came back right away (had some at the login screen).
Shutdown, took a memory back out, changed bios memory to 384, left voltage on auto.. Artifacts seem to be gone now??

Also, I got the ASus USB-BT211 to work with not to much trouble with my mighty mouse.. Just need to decide if i want to buy the usb or wireless apple keyboard now :).

I am using the exact components mentioned in customac build 2011.

CPU: Intel Core i3-2105 with Intel HD 3000 Graphics
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3
RAM: CORSAIR 4GB 240-Pin DDR3
Case + Power Supply Unit: APEX MI-008 Mini-ITX with 250w PSU
Solid State Drive: Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SATA 6Gb/s $195.39
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500 GB SATA 6Gb/s
Operating System (10.6): Mac OS X Snow Leopard

Updated BIOS to F7
changed SATA to AHCI mode, and set HPET to 64-bit mode.
Tried PCIRootUID=1, PCIRootUID=1 -x, -x & GraphicsEnabler=No.
I am not getting to next screen.
In the -v verbose mode, that last message i see is ""hit rate below threshold (6 hits on XXXX lookups)

Any help and direction is appreciated.

dmreddy said:
So I finally got all my parts and after some trouble getting the lion installer working I have now have lion installed. A couple of notes

My system is pretty much the custo-mac
GA-H67N-USB3-B3, F7 Bios. with I5-2500K
8gig of Corsair CMX86X3M2A1333C9 Ram
1tb WD Black Harddrive
in the SG05 case
HDMI Monitor (No Audio)

DSDT installed, and all drivers as per tonymacx86's attachment in the first post, w/ Realtek ethernet. Did NOT install Tuneup kit.

1st. This thing is FAST :)

2nd. I couldn't get the xmove installer to install to a USB drive. It would freeze about 15% of the way and just sit there (estimated time would cont. to increase). I got it to work installing to a partition on the harddrive though.

3rd I noticed artifacts right away, and ALOT of them.. Then I realized that the video mem in the bios was still set at 64mb, changed that to 480mb and set voltage to 1.010.. It helped for a while then a few artifacts showed up.
I have decided to take out a stick of ram, and lower the bios mem to 384 (Matches the system profile in lion) and put the voltage to auto. I'm testing this now and I haven't had any artifacts (Playing a video now while working).. Maybe ?????

Anyway, playing around.. Any idea's why the usb drive didn't work with Xmove?

a couple of updates.
I put the ram back (8gig total) and set the memory in the bios to 480, and left the voltage on auto. Rebooted and artifacts came back right away (had some at the login screen).
Shutdown, took a memory back out, changed bios memory to 384, left voltage on auto.. Artifacts seem to be gone now??

Also, I got the ASus USB-BT211 to work with not to much trouble with my mighty mouse.. Just need to decide if i want to buy the usb or wireless apple keyboard now :).

Set Graphics DVID to -0.030

And everybody try Stork's solution:

"...set one Advanced BIOS Features parameter - On-Chip Frame Buffer Size. I had 8GB RAM, so I set it at 480MB+2MB for GTT. If you have 4GB RAM, set it to 384."

dmreddy said:
Mate94 said:

Ok changed that.. 8gig ram back in, 480 buffer size..

Still some artifacts..

Hm... damn it!

I think it's the PSU. Maybe in the APEX case the PSU in not enough for the HD3000.

Mate94 said:
dmreddy said:
Mate94 said:

Ok changed that.. 8gig ram back in, 480 buffer size..

Still some artifacts..

Hm... damn it!

I think it's the PSU. Maybe in the APEX case the PSU in not enough for the HD3000.

I'm using the Silverstone SG05, 300w power supply.

I went back to 4gig ram, 384 frame buffer, left DVID at -0.030, and I haven't had any artifacts yet.... ?

Then the RAM's... namely the BIOS and the memory control.

But why? This works...

Last thing, the motherboard?

Mate94 said:
Then the RAM's... namely the BIOS and the memory control.

But why? This works...

Last thing, the motherboard?

I don't know. I saw that thread to.

I switched the ram sticks as well to ensure I don't have a bad stick.. Still no artifacts.. But I think its probably to soon to tell and will run the system with 4gb ram for a day or so to see if they come back.

I think I might have to buy a video card. Was wondering if the Sapphire 6450 1gb DDR3 passive cooled works well with this.. I can get the 5570 that is recommended for 25 bucks more though..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back