Contribute
Register

Losing My Mind Over OpenCore Boot Issues

I've tried each of these and can't get past the apple logo, or a screen saying "Halting on critical error"
press and hold option key on mac and turn on

should give you some boot options, one may be recovery that could work

We don't officially support the OCLP app because we don't make it and it's not intended for use on hacks.
You can visit the OCLP discord or go to macrumors.com to get help. They specialize in OCLP for older MPs.

The big lesson to learn from this: Never install 3rd party kexts to /System/Library etc. on your real Mac Pro. Let the OCLP app root patching do what is required.
I hear you, this is definitely on me, I’ve reached to other places, just wish there was a way to re inject that kext file so I can move on with my life!

Worth adding that if you have added any form of EFI folder in the EFI partition, that will need removing before you can progress. Hopefully you didn't?

:)

Worth adding that if you have added any form of EFI folder in the EFI partition, that will need removing before you can progress. Hopefully you didn't?

:)
Good question… anyway I can see to check this from my current situation?

Good question… anyway I can see to check this from my current situation?
I was messing around with a Mid2011 iMac, could only achieve High Sierra

I updated the hard drive to a SSD and doubled the ram

I used OCLP to download Sonoma and let it do its thing

after bootup, had no wifi and bluetooth issues

ran the OCLP root patches and rebooted, reset nvram/pram 3 times in a row and wifi and bluetooth started working

all seemed fine until the use of Logic, the play head required metal to actually make it appear, and seeing as this mac was too old, didn't have metal support

anyway, i had created a High Sierra bootable USB stick prior to this as was using it to fix a family member's mac

Booted up with it and erased the drive and did a clean install of high sierra

so if you happen to have a usb installer that has a previous version of mac on it, then boot boot from that and erase everything and start again from fresh

or use another mac to create the installer:

I was messing around with a Mid2011 iMac, could only achieve High Sierra

I updated the hard drive to a SSD and doubled the ram

I used OCLP to download Sonoma and let it do its thing

after bootup, had no wifi and bluetooth issues

ran the OCLP root patches and rebooted, reset nvram/pram 3 times in a row and wifi and bluetooth started working

all seemed fine until the use of Logic, the play head required metal to actually make it appear, and seeing as this mac was too old, didn't have metal support

anyway, i had created a High Sierra bootable USB stick prior to this as was using it to fix a family member's mac

Booted up with it and erased the drive and did a clean install of high sierra

so if you happen to have a usb installer that has a previous version of mac on it, then boot boot from that and erase everything and start again from fresh

or use another mac to create the installer:
When you say everything, do you mean everything involved with opencore? Erasing all my data is not an option with the clients I produce for. I backup every week however this would mean I lose stuff from this previous week

if you have added any form of EFI folder in the EFI partition
After installing with an OCLP created USB there is an option to install the OC EFI folder to the EFI partition. I'd assume that zyther05 did that after the initial install so as to not have to boot from the USB every time.

When you say everything, do you mean everything involved with opencore? Erasing all my data is not an option with the clients I produce for. I backup every week however this would mean I lose stuff from this previous week
yes, erase the entire drive

Erasing all my data is not an option with the clients I produce for. I backup every week however this would mean I lose stuff from this previous week
Do you have any other Mac you can connect the 2010 MP hard drive to ? Then you could pull the data off it before doing a clean install.

Is there possibly a way to connect the SSD with everything on it to a different device and re-add the missing kext file somehow that way?

Back