Contribute
Register

iTunes 11.1.3 Video not playing (SD/HD/DRM Content) - solved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm struggling with this issue as well with a Haswell build (i7-4790k processor, GA-Z97X-UD7 logic board with the latest firmware) for my in-laws. I've had no issues running protected, purchased content (of which we own a LOT) on the display for my own Sandy Bridge machine, and broken iTunes functionality is almost never mentioned in modern Ivy / Haswell build descriptions. :|

On this new build, everything is working beautifully under Clover except Airplay mirroring (still struggling with the required DSDT edits) and playback of protected iTunes content. As my mother-in-law does have protected content that she'd like to watch, this is a high-priority issue for me. I would love it if one of the geniuses (upon whose shoulders I've stood to get this far) would be willing to invest time in exploring this issue. I know there are a great many of us who are learning a lot from these experiences but who simply lack the technical know-how to even speculate as to the cause of the problem.

I am using a DSDT (in order to apply all the handy fixes for sleep, etc.) but I'm not sure that the extraction was a clean catch -- my DSDT has a GFX0 section that looks rather different than what is described in this post and my attempts to make edits completely break the system.

I would love to have more information from jbamford - as his is the first success story with Clover+Ivy Bridge that I've come across, I would like to better understand how he's gotten things working.

This post has excellent research and ideas regarding DisplayPort being a critical element missing in many of our custom builds.

Keep the discussion going! :D Maybe someday there will be a fix...I'm always hopeful. There are some very smart individuals playing on our team.

As an individual with low/moderate tech ability, the idea of overwriting my BIOS is somewhat terrifying. Also, the last firmware upgrade on the Z97 board warned that there is no "rolling back" the BIOS so I don't know if that would preclude using Ozmosis. Pretty heady stuff for someone like me. Have you had any hands-on experience with Ozmosis? It's a newer bootloader; is it working pretty well these days?

Gotcha. Would you be willing to speculate as to why Ozmosis is successfully handling the DRM / handshake issue while all other bootloaders fail? Is it as simple as the order in which the various bits are loaded in the boot process, or is there a specific setting or flag that Ozmosis is successfully handling that other bootloaders aren't? I appreciate your contributions to the community, PJALM - I'm using your seemingly magical DSDT patches on my current build to great effect - thank you! I don't expect that you have any easy answers here but I am genuinely curious about this problem.

Thanks again - J.

don't like the thought of flashing my bios to Ozmosis or what ever the junk is called your better off building a core 2 or a sandy bridge or just buy a real mac if you just want to play iTunes DRM content. my Sandy bridge machine plays DRM protection fine! i wouldn't even even flash my bios to that Ozmosis its junk its dangerous if it goes wrong

You can still play your physical rip content in it, why must you buy iTunes stuff? it's protected and requires DRM removal, as you know, those applications cost a fair amount of money.. try google play if you insist going the Digital Route.

@ jbamford,

Do you run Yosemite?

I have still the issue of not beeing able to playback DRM Movies that I own.

But maybe its the graphics connector issue.

I have a dell e5520.

regards,

lemans

So - after a considerable amount of struggle, just successfully upgraded my own Sandy Bridge machine to El Capitan. Gained a lot of functionality (iMessage etc.) but lost iTunes playback of protected content on my computer monitor. I can still access and view my purchased content via Airplay on our AppleTV. I'm assuming that this is Apple closing the Sandy Bridge loophole and that all builds going forward will lack the ability to play protected iTunes content?

If yes, I think that this is something that should be underscored somewhere on this site. The iTunes "black screen" non-playback issue is, to the best of my knowledge, the only functionality that the community has not been able to implement / preserve / restore, and for people with large libraries of purchased iTunes content, it can come as a nasty surprise.

So - after a considerable amount of struggle, just successfully upgraded my own Sandy Bridge machine to El Capitan. Gained a lot of functionality (iMessage etc.) but lost iTunes playback of protected content on my computer monitor. I can still access and view my purchased content via Airplay on our AppleTV. I'm assuming that this is Apple closing the Sandy Bridge loophole and that all builds going forward will lack the ability to play protected iTunes content?

If yes, I think that this is something that should be underscored somewhere on this site. The iTunes "black screen" non-playback issue is, to the best of my knowledge, the only functionality that the community has not been able to implement / preserve / restore, and for people with large libraries of purchased iTunes content, it can come as a nasty surprise.

Hi there. Yes - well said!

New Hackintoshers should be advised that iTunes DRM video will not play on most builds. It's a long-known about problem. Perhaps there should be a thread for confirmed builds on which DRM video *will* play. If someone is aiming to use their machine to buy iTunes video, they are then guaranteed not to be disappointed.

What has always baffled me is that with this exact same hardware I use for OS X, if I run Windows the iTunes DRM video plays fine. So it would seem the hardware is fully compatible with any weird video protocols.

:|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back