Contribute
Register

Install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on Ivy Bridge Based PCs

Hi,

I'm building the customac mini deluxe build using the intel core i5 3570k processor with the gigabyte
GA-Z77N-WIFI mb and 16gb ram. I've downloaded the ivy bridge iboot and it boots up but the image is slightly different to the one in the guide (see image below) and it doesn't change no matter how long I wait. In the guide the iboot image is a square. If I eject the the iboot disk and insert the snow leopard disk and press f5 nothing happens. would the problem be that I have 8gb of ram as I haven't got a 4gb or less stick. Any advice much appreciated.​

Dave

Apologies for the image being upside down it seems to do that when I upload it.

photo (3).jpg

8 gig not a problem for my system: Z77 UD5H, i7 3770K. Gotta love the tonymac crew!

Thanks!

Hi All, this is my first post.

Seeing Carpenge's post, I now have hope that my build might work using this method. I have the same MoBo and processor. I have 16Gb of memory (2X8Gb).

Carpenge, did you use the onboard ethernet to download Mountain Lion? Any other changes to BIOS or other command lines you had to enter to get it all to work? Were you trying to just get Snow Leopard to work, or was your goal to get Mountain Lion working?

My goal is to get Mountain Lion working by using a retail version of Snow Leopard then being able to download Mountain Lion via the app store.

Thanks all!! This site has been most helpful so far. I'm just wanting to make sure everything will work before I spend additional money on Snow Leopard.

I've got friends with Macs, but would rather not bother them with what they might see as a nefarious use of their computer.

***Edit*** Carpenge, you mention 8Gig. I'm assuming that means RAM. Is that 2X4Gb, or just one stick of 8? Sorry for all the questions!!

Deleted by Manshear due to not meeting criteria, or spirit of the thread.

Hello,
My computer is:
Motherboard - Gigabyte h77n-wifi
Graphics - nvidia geforce gt 640 2 MB ddr3
cpu - intel core i5 3570K

I've just download the iboot ivy bridge for snow leopard.
First I inserted the cd boot and then insert the dvd from snow leopard that I purchased from Apple. The installation go well. In the first run of SL I update for version 10.6.8. All ok.But the resolution of lcd (I have LG w1934s native resolution 1440x900) was 1024x768.The sound is not well.It has much noise.
Another thing is that I must have the cd boot inserted when I turn the computer.When the screen shows the icon of Snow Leopard I click on it and it launches the application.
How can I solve these problems?

Thank you in advance,

Joao Miguel (jmrfd)

Hi everyone !

Several users in this thread said they managed to copy iBoot Ivy Bridge on a USB stick so that a CD is not needed to boot their system on SL... Would one of them be kind enough to explain me his method to do it ?

I would really like to have my system run fully SL...

Thanks in advance !

My install of Sno Leo on Ivy Bridge machine

GA-Z77-DS3H (rev 1.0) with Core i3 3225 CPU. 16G RAM. HDMI from board to monitor. TPLink PCI ethernet card that runs natively in Sno Leo.

iBoot (using a CD) boots my Sno Leo (fully current 10.6.8) install without KPs. It loads 4G RAM by default, so it doesn't matter how much RAM is installed. 6G SATA3 ports work fine. Boot up is incredibly fast from 6G SATA3 port. Haven't tried to use USB 3 device yet, but USB 2 stuff works fine in USB 3 ports.

Issues:
• Tried using MultiBeast Mountain Lion 5.2.1 drivers for audio and ethernet -- no joy.
• No built-in audio; outputs noise -- am using USB sound card (iMic) for sound.
• No built-in ethernet -- no available kext that I can find works to enable the on-board Atheros ethernet under Sno Leo.
• Ethernet PCI card works fine but is en(1) and download of Mountain Lion, if that's what you need, is not allowed by Apple App Store -- returns "unknown error." No way to use ethernet for the App Store that I can find. App Store apparently wants en(0). Work around may be the recommended TPLink Wi-Fi card running under Airport -- an expensive fix if wi-fi isn't regularly used. My NewerTech USB wi-fi adaptor (Ralink drivers) does not work for the App Store, but works fine otherwise.
• Graphics defaults to 1024x768; no other res available -- apparently need to have GraphicsMode res string in Boot.plist, but that's on the iBoot CD; maybe have to enter that manually at boot up, which is annoying, but haven't tried that, don't even know if that can be done. It appears that the only way to change res (including running ML install) is to specify res in Boot.plist. Not so hot
• Chrome browser does not work -- loads but freezes, which is really strange. Safari mostly works, but cursor comes and goes.
• Most apps run OK. HP printer works fine.
• This board looks like a new machine to some apps I bought from the App Store, and they will not run without being re-registered (or whatever the store does) but you need the en(0) ethernet to do that. I hope the wi-fi solution works.

Overall, this is not a great solution for running Sno Leo on this board and CPU. The App store would not let me download ML from my older board/CPU, an EP-45 with C2D, because "ML is not compatible..." So, hoping that using a new board and CPU, I would be able to make the ML upgrade, I bought this stuff. Then Sno Leo wouldn't boot on the new hardware, so I found iBoot-I-B, and thought I was golden. Sigh.

Mac os x 10.6 (Snow Leopard), it's not a bad OS X verison but.. i think they will stop support it next year or this year..:thumbup::thumbdown:

Every disc I burn doesn't want to boot up.

Any tips on burning the disc?

Is it better to burn the disc with Windows?

CD or DVD... is one form of media better than the other?

@ BSan -- I used Dragon Burn and all was well. Didn't need a PC -- I think I made the disc combo format for Mac & PC, but it's been a while.

Back