Contribute
Register

Install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on Ivy Bridge Based PCs

Found an unused Simpletech 4 GB usb flash drive for Unibeast ML to make a bootable drive. Rebooted with iboot-ivy-bridge in cd drive. chose my usb drive, no go: gray apple screen.

Can I rescue the process at this point? New USB drive? UM?
should I start all over? If so, how do I do that? This isn't supposed to be difficult, is it?
Thanks (I hope)

4Go flash is too small - you need 8Go and format or 16Go/32Go partitioned with 8Go + rest of drive as desired to make the ML UniBeast USB installer.

I have Unibeast on a 16 GB USB flash drive.
I followed instructions to start the computer, pressed F12 to specify USB/Unibeast as the boot drive. >>the iBoot screen appeared with USB highlighted on the left and Snow Leopard on the right--pressed "enter". Gray apple screen with rotating spokes and a small white square over the stem of the apple with a gray circle superimposed over a backslash. I left for 20 min--nothing happened.

restart. but typing -x at the iboot screen>>same square circle slash

restart. typing -s letters>>>>numbers on black screen, messages at bottom: Error 0xe000404f and Still waiting for root device

Rechecked the BIOS SATA: AHCI. High Precision Event Timer: Enabled.

I even hooked up the hard drive to a SATA 2 header after reading something about OSX not able to handle SATA 3, but cannot recall the date of that posting. still no go.
Moving the hard drive connections and the USB drive around and rebooting; also, exploring the Chimera/iBoot screen, I found that the down arrow does stuff! Anyways:
HDD
SATA #
Flash drive in
USB:/mobo header
typed
modifier
down arrow
modifier
Boot into Mountain
Lion Installation?
2 2/ N
2 2/ -x N
2 2/ ignore caches N
2 3/01 -x N
3 3/01 -X N
3 3/01 ignore caches N
3 3/01 -X ignore caches N
2 3/01 -X ignore caches N
2 2 -x Ignore caches Y!!!
3 2 -x ignore caches Y!!!
3 3/02 -x ignore caches Y!!!
3 2 N
3 2 ignore caches N
3 2 -x y
3 3/03 -x ignore caches Y
3 3/03 inconsistent
3 3/03 -x Y

It doesn't make much sense--I'll take it .
Seemingly, I have moved forward another baby step. While USB mobo header 01 worked for getting a bootable Flash drive, it wasn't suitable for booting from the flash drive. I switched USB port wires to test that header to isolate the "fault" to it. I must have reset the computer a hundred times. Cannot judge if one can source the issue to mobo or OSX.

Moving on. This could be valuable for others contemplating a KISS build like mine. (no video card)

my install steps were:
- create and boot ivy bridge CD
- swap to snow leopard official install DVD from apple telephone order (now available on web order)
- install 10.6.8 update
- reduce ivy bridge CD ISO to a bootable USB flash drive for everyday booting
- of course I also had to install the audio driver for the RME RayDAT interface, and the firewire driver for the Profire 2626.
Just ordered another motherboard, this time the GA-Z77X-UD5H since another poster here had reported good results on his pro audio machine, decided to build yet another hack!
[h=1][/h]

Hello and thanks a lot for your project ! :thumbup:

Hi Guys!

I'm officially stuck.

Tried this method to install ML on a GA-H77-DS3H rev 1.0 with 8GB RAM and a i3570K processor. I have the retail SL disk and was able to install it pretty easily following this method. Here is were problem came. The on-board network does not work and hence I can't use app store to buy ML.

My old macbook is old and wont let me purchase ML due to system incompatibility.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

ivylegacyiboot.jpeg

Just updated iBoot for Ivy Bridge to 1.1.0.

Changes:
Added Atheros driver - Shailua's ALXEthernet v1.0.2

Official iBoot for Ivy Bridge guide here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leop...x-10-6-snow-leopard-ivy-bridge-based-pcs.html

NOTE: FOR IVY BRIDGE AND 10.6 SNOW LEOPARD ONLY

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tonymacx86,

thank you for the update, but the new kernel didn't quite work. If you enable "EthernetBuiltIn=Yes" it panics (see attachment). I believe the Shailua's ALXEthernet v1.0.2 included is a solution for a system when ML is already installed, and mostly for people with GA-H77-DS3H rev 1.1 board, neither applies in my case.

I've been messing with this driver before my previous post to no result.

Tried to compile it from source in my macbook with SL, but haven't had any success yet (not that I'm all that expert - long time, no coding).

***SOLVED*** I solved my problem with a somewhat convoluted solution. Details here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...untain-lion-appstore-unsupported-macbook.html

Attachments

• Kernel Panic.jpg
    Kernel Panic.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 935
Hi,
i tried the guide with iboot for ivyBridge but no result :(

My components are Z77-DS3H rev1 with 3770

I tried with one ram of 4go, with 2
With and without graphic card

The install of SL don't finish: kernel Panic

Is there a tip in supplement of the guide: [edit] choose the iboot 1.1.0... it works.

but no ethernet yet :(

I hoppe i'll write some words from my first hackintosh: VERY IMPRESSIVE WORKS! THANK YOU!:clap:

I'm also having trouble doing this. I can boot into Snow Leopard 10.6.3 using iBoot Ivy Bridge 1.1.0, but Ethernet is still not working for me meaning I can't upgrade to 10.6.8 and access the App Store to buy Mountain Lion. I know I can buy a ethernet or wireless card that supports SL, but I'd much rather just use my Motheboard's built in ethernet.

Specs:
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H (Rev. 1.1)
Intel i7 3770k @ 4.0 GHz
12GB DDR3 RAM
850w PSU

Back