Register

HP ProBook 4x30s Bios update v: F.29/F.30 - fixes sleep issues + sata 3/6

Status
Not open for further replies.
HP ProBook 4x30s Bios update v: F.29 - fixes sleep issues + sata 3/6

Bios update F.30

Version: F.30 (3 Dec 2012)
Enhancements
- Updates the preboot execution environment (PXE) boot code. - Provides the ability for systems running a UEFI BIOS to bypass the power-on password when the system is restarted.

Bios update F.30

Version: F.30 (3 Dec 2012)
Enhancements
- Updates the preboot execution environment (PXE) boot code. - Provides the ability for systems running a UEFI BIOS to bypass the power-on password when the system is restarted.

just updated to f.30, observed some minor graphic glitches on first boot - maces - typing on macos now, see some more graphic glitches as i type. eg the spell check /suggestions on this reply is looking like static.

maybe wait for the more advanced users like rehabman to run it throught their tests on pacifist or something before doing a fresh dsdt with the new f.30 and maybe updated patches?

usb super-speed bus, aka usb3 detected and working, with a mouse in it.

sd card reader works

no ata devices

audio works ok

ext display works ok

just updated to f.30, observed some minor graphic glitches on first boot - maces - typing on macos now, see some more graphic glitches as i type. eg the spell check /suggestions on this reply is looking like static.

maybe wait for the more advanced users like rehabman to run it throught their tests on pacifist or something before doing a fresh dsdt with the new f.30 and maybe updated patches?

usb super-speed bus, aka usb3 detected and working, with a mouse in it.

sd card reader works

no ata devices

audio works ok

ext display works ok

I updated to F.30, re-patched DSDT. Everything working as before. No issues.

Think I'll stick to F29, doesn't seem to be all that important of an update. Unless someone has seen any noticeable improvements?

Think I'll stick to F29, doesn't seem to be all that important of an update. Unless someone has seen any noticeable improvements?

f30 on w7/w8 its noticably snappier. don't know why.

f30 and hactosh 10.82 and custom dsdt, its stable so far, did notice a usb storage device unplug itself, or unmount, was busy doing stuff not sure if me or the os. still unable to do itunes wifi sync, any ios device users here? report back plz. battery life noticably increased 30 mins?.. fans still at about 2500 to 3000 when over 50c to 60, at 70 it goes full throttle. annoying, but guess its not as bad as a real mbp or ma.

testing out traktor pro soon, so hopefully system is stable in them middle of a long tough set,

at the moment i guess i'm only using only 25 to 50 % of the capacity of the overall system, try some system stress tests? or benchmark apps to try out?

Can anyone comment on long term and/or heavy use stability of USB 3 port using USB 3 HDD? I have a USB 3 HDD I want to use routinely using that port alongside my FW800 HDD via the express card slot (which already works fine) and to pick one as my go-to after benchmarking which will yield the highest transfer rates. However I remain hesitant as I have had issues with USB 3 ejecting the drive randomly, which could include in mid-write, which could in turn easily corrupt the drive.

I am really hoping that it will be stable enough to trust permanently but really want to get some encouraging feedback before going through all this and repatching DSDT to try. Also the data will be very important (audio files for personal music projects and client contracts) so losing any data would be a nightmare.

Thanks!!

Can anyone comment on long term and/or heavy use stability of USB 3 port using USB 3 HDD? I have a USB 3 HDD I want to use routinely using that port alongside my FW800 HDD via the express card slot (which already works fine) and to pick one as my go-to after benchmarking which will yield the highest transfer rates. However I remain hesitant as I have had issues with USB 3 ejecting the drive randomly, which could include in mid-write, which could in turn easily corrupt the drive.

I am really hoping that it will be stable enough to trust permanently but really want to get some encouraging feedback before going through all this and repatching DSDT to try. Also the data will be very important (audio files for personal music projects and client contracts) so losing any data would be a nightmare.

Thanks!!

I have been actively testing this, but so far it seems I am the only person interested in usb3 or posting feedback about usb3 here, as well as some other issues such as itunes wifi sync, so hope some other users can tip in some feedback too.

At this point, f30 bios, custom dsdt - with most recent patches, and the current probook installer
- usb3 is ok for general input devices such as keyboard and mouse.
- usb3 is not recommended for data devices with critical data, and critical daily use - high risk of data corruption.
- usb3 at your own risk - for large file transfers, e.g.. just to quickly copy stuff between usb3 and mac.
these are just my observations up to today.

previously, i forgot at which probook beta version, usb3 data devices was functioning normal, i could leave it plugged in all day, and sleep, and wake no issues. data/files/folders would not go missing - i.e data corruption.

i'm not an expert user, just a complete noob, and hope it helps others avoid problems.

merry xmas everyone!

Yeah it's what I thought. Guess I will stick with FW800 and my SDD caddy in the optical slot. The FW800 HDD via expresscard is also not ideal as it is fairly easy for it to be accidentally disconnected. It happens to my FW400 sound card all the time and it's very frustrating.

I would just get a really large SDD but price is still an issue there. I guess there's no perfect solution.

But I can't blame USB 3 because it's not like Apple ever promised it would work. They decided to go with their own Thunderbolt and ditched USB 3 altogether it seems. Funny how they came out with it at the same time as their new iOS device connector, forcing new (proprietary?) connectors on everyone.

It's things like that that make me feel perfectly justified in going the Hackintosh route. 10 years ago they really supported the pro audio and video crowd with their Mac Pro line, dependable software, etc. Nowadays they all but abandoned us.

Yeah it's what I thought. Guess I will stick with FW800 and my SDD caddy in the optical slot. The FW800 HDD via expresscard is also not ideal as it is fairly easy for it to be accidentally disconnected. It happens to my FW400 sound card all the time and it's very frustrating.

I would just get a really large SDD but price is still an issue there. I guess there's no perfect solution.

But I can't blame USB 3 because it's not like Apple ever promised it would work. They decided to go with their own Thunderbolt and ditched USB 3 altogether it seems. Funny how they came out with it at the same time as their new iOS device connector, forcing new (proprietary?) connectors on everyone.

It's things like that that make me feel perfectly justified in going the Hackintosh route. 10 years ago they really supported the pro audio and video crowd with their Mac Pro line, dependable software, etc. Nowadays they all but abandoned us.

i posted somewhere apple did include usb3 on recent systems. maybe i'm wrong, anyway for now i only use the usb3 via w7, saves lots of time backing up 500gb files over usb3. does using 2 usb3 drives on the one same usb3 port affect overall r/w speed?

but again, some point back in the earlier beta's and pre f30 usb3 was working fine.

I have a different problem after F.29/F.30, the HDD and WiFi LED are allays on after shutdown and in sleep, they are amber. Also the CPU fan runs all the time after shutdown, in OSX turns off when average below 50*C below which is ok.
I did reset (60sec no power) and patch DSDT, before F.29 was everything ok.

Any idea what it is?

Edit: I downgraded to F.20 and same thing. What I noticed if powered off and power supply disconnected the HDD LED is off.

Found the problem, after I removed and insert the WiFi card the problem is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back