Contribute
Register

[HOW TO] Wi-Fi 6 Intel AX210 on macOS Sonoma

If you have 2 x Intel WiFi cards installed, as it appears is the case in the IOReg screenshot above. I would recommend physically removing (or disabling in the BIOS) the card you don’t want to use (en1). See if the 6e card then becomes active.

I would also recommend deleting the Networkinterfaces.plist and AirportInterfaces.plist and any backup files from the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder. Plus the two WiFi devices from System Settings > Network pane. Assuming both WiFi devices have been added to the Network Settings menu.

I agree @Edhawk :thumbup:

I do see what you see and worry that having two Intel wireless chipsets activated by AirportItlwm.kext might not work.

As the built-in one is CNVW it may, or may not, be able to be turned-off in BIOS. CNVW cards are linked to the CPU. My own BIOS does not allow turning the built-in card off at all and it would take precedence.

The only way to have two wireless chipsets in a system is to have the PCIe variant as a, say, Broadcom one and then disabling or removing the AirportItlwm kext. I can do this, when not using Sonoma for example.

Not sure if the OP is using their Z97 build or the Z490 in their signatures ... I assume the Z490.

:)

Hi,

Tx for the quick reply. You guys rock. Definitely gave me some ideas.

1. I cannot disable en1 in BIOS. So I do it in macOS by, Removing (en1) network devices and only add en2 as my network device using System Settings >> Network

2. What pci Broadcom wifi 6e pci cards do you recommend ?

3. I'm using Z490 mobo and not my Z97 if that is what you mean by "Not sure if the OP is using their Z97 build or the Z490 in their signatures ... I assume the Z490" Please explain briefly ?

I agree @Edhawk :thumbup:

I do see what you see and worry that having two Intel wireless chipsets activated by AirportItlwm.kext might not work.

As the built-in one is CNVW it may, or may not, be able to be turned-off in BIOS. CNVW cards are linked to the CPU. My own BIOS does not allow turning the built-in card off at all and it would take precedence.

The only way to have two wireless chipsets in a system is to have the PCIe variant as a, say, Broadcom one and then disabling or removing the AirportItlwm kext. I can do this, when not using Sonoma for example.

Not sure if the OP is using their Z97 build or the Z490 in their signatures ... I assume the Z490.

Hi,

Tx for the quick reply. You guys rock. Definitely gave me some ideas.

1. I cannot disable en1 in BIOS. So I do it in macOS by, Removing (en1) network devices and only add en2 as my network device using System Settings >> Network

2. What pci Broadcom wifi 6e pci cards do you recommend ?

3. I'm using Z490 mobo and not my Z97 if that is what you mean by "Not sure if the OP is using their Z97 build or the Z490 in their signatures ... I assume the Z490" Please explain briefly ?

Hi

1) I've not heard of this is a technique, but if it works then - :thumbup:. Check IOReg after and see if en1 has gone. If this works, and survives reboot, then thanks for the heads-up!

2) As far as I know there are no Broadcom 6E devices available to buy third-party. The ones Apple now uses are bespoke to them which is why for Sonoma we have to go Intel.

3) I've built on Z490 motherboards and generally their BIOS does not allow the turning-off of CNVW wireless cards. Older motherboards did have the functionality.

Previous to Sonoma I would use a Broadcom PCIe card - and not load an Intel kext - to enable Apple iServices. Sadly this isn't an option for Sonoma at this point.

Ok, looks like I'm stuck for now.

What high end mobo can you recommend (for a fact) that would do wifi 6e OR 7 ?

Hi

1) I've not heard of this is a technique, but if it works then - :thumbup:. Check IOReg after and see if en1 has gone. If this works, and survives reboot, then thanks for the heads-up!

2) As far as I know there are no Broadcom 6E devices available to buy third-party. The ones Apple now uses are bespoke to them which is why for Sonoma we have to go Intel.

3) I've built on Z490 motherboards and generally their BIOS does not allow the turning-off of CNVW wireless cards. Older motherboards did have the functionality.

Previous to Sonoma I would use a Broadcom PCIe card - and not load an Intel kext - to enable Apple iServices. Sadly this isn't an option for Sonoma at this point.

Ok, looks like I'm stuck for now.

What high end mobo can you recommend (for a fact) that would do wifi 6e OR 7 ?

The only ones are the later generations - such as my Intel 14th gen builds. Maybe 12th or 13th too. You would still have to go Intel and forego some of the Apple services such as Airdrop, Continuity and Handoff. You would have to check the manufacturers Specs pages to determine what Intel chipset you were being offered and check it against the OpenIntelWireless Compatibility FAQ. Be careful though, my latest Gigabyte build came with a Realtek option (it seems different regions have different chipsets). Then I had to buy an add-on Intel Wifi 6 card. :rolleyes:

I'm writing on mine now so I know it works BUT with limited Apple services...

As for BIOS ability to turn-off the built-in Intel wireless. Modern boards don't allow that.

P.S - By the way, people often ask for guaranteed solutions. Sadly in the Hackintosh world that doesn't happen. Each build is a "journey". Buying a real Mac is the only way for that.

You may be able to disable the CNVW connector with an SSDT-NO-CNVW.aml table. The one attached below is from another Gigabyte Z490 motherboard, so may work without any edits.

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 17.19.43.png contents of SSDT-NO-CNVW.aml table

Just check that the correct IOReg Name is used to identify your CNVW connector. The IOReg name used in the SSDT is SB.PCI0.CNVW, if yours is different this will need to be edited to match your setup.

Alternatively you always have the option to physically remove the built-in Intel CNVW card.

Probably means removing the motherboard and everything connected to it from the case, so you can get at the screws on the underside of the motherboard, LED cover over the rear I/O plate ports.

Attachments

• SSDT-NO-CNVW.aml.zip
    823 bytes · Views: 5
@MikeHoward
Do you have 2 Wi-Fi adapters? If so, you must have only one of them. macOS doesn't work fine with 2 Wi-Fi.

The only ones are the later generations - such as my Intel 14th gen builds. Maybe 12th or 13th too. You would still have to go Intel and forego some of the Apple services such as Airdrop, Continuity and Handoff. You would have to check the manufacturers Specs pages to determine what Intel chipset you were being offered and check it against the OpenIntelWireless Compatibility FAQ. Be careful though, my latest Gigabyte build came with a Realtek option (it seems different regions have different chipsets). Then I had to buy an add-on Intel Wifi 6 card. :rolleyes:

I'm writing on mine now so I know it works BUT with limited Apple services...

As for BIOS ability to turn-off the built-in Intel wireless. Modern boards don't allow that.

P.S - By the way, people often ask for guaranteed solutions. Sadly in the Hackintosh world that doesn't happen. Each build is a "journey". Buying a real Mac is the only way for that.

The statement "As for BIOS ability to turn-off the built-in Intel wireless. Modern boards don't allow that." must depend on the manufacturer and type of BIOS used. I have two Z790 boards, one MSI and one Asus, where you can disable wireless or Bluetooth independently. The Asus AMD X670E board I use also allows for disabling either. None use the dreaded CNVW socket though but I don't think that is the reason. I could be wrong.

The statement "As for BIOS ability to turn-off the built-in Intel wireless. Modern boards don't allow that." must depend on the manufacturer and type of bios used. I have two Z790 boards, one MSI and one Asus, where you can disable wireless or Bluetooth independently. The Asus AMD X670E board I use also allows for disabling either. None use the dreaded CNVW socket though but I don't think that is the reason. I could be wrong.

Fair point. My comment was too sweeping, and I assumed too much. I can't test all motherboards. Only Gigabyte - like the OP.

So thanks for the heads-up. This is what's needed. :thumbup:

If Asus and MSI don't use CNVW (check in IOReg, etc.) that's great news! I might be convinced to change! :D

Last edited:
You may be able to disable the CNVW connector with an SSDT-NO-CNVW.aml table. The one attached below is from another Gigabyte Z490 motherboard, so may work without any edits.

View attachment 582284 contents of SSDT-NO-CNVW.aml table

Just check that the correct IOReg Name is used to identify your CNVW connector. The IOReg name used in the SSDT is SB.PCI0.CNVW, if yours is different this will need to be edited to match your setup.

Alternatively you always have the option to physically remove the built-in Intel CNVW card.

Probably means removing the motherboard and everything connected to it from the case, so you can get at the screws on the underside of the motherboard, LED cover over the rear I/O plate ports.

Hi @Edhawk . Thanks for that. I can confirm it certainly works to block the built-in wireless card on my Gigabyte B760 motherboard. :thumbup:

As you say, just check the PCI path and adjust accordingly. For me that was to change to PC00, etc.

Back