Contribute
Register

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH Thunderbolt (Updated to 10.8.2 and MultiBeast 5.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good guide. It helped me out a lot. However, I am having one problem...

I have absolutely no sound. I am certain I installed all of the right things on multibeast, but I could be wrong. Or this could be because I somehow plugged something in wrong because my computer is not showing any sound devices whatsoever.

I should say, I am running a Corsair 500R Case with a GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH motherboard.

Johnson13,

Try running Multibeast 5.1.3 and installing UserDSDT, Sound > Realtek Without DSDT ALC898 and reboot. This should fix your problem.

Thanks for the Great Guide Alfa
I m facing some rare issues:
Below are my specs:
Z77x UP5 TH Bios F11
Core i7 3770k
Corsair Ram 2x4Gb 1600Mhz
WD Black 1TB
Asus Nvidia GT640 2GB DDR3
TX750W PSU
TP LINK WN781ND (worked with kext)
Mountain Lion 10.8

Use your bios settings and the install went fine without any issues.
Use same multibeast configuration as yours once without the TRIM Enabler. (Coz i dont have SSD)
Replaced the Boot.plist file with yours.
Installed the COmbo update ( around 680 Mb)
And after restart Installed the supplementary update supplied in ur thread ( Around 25mb)
And ran the Macbook Pro and air package.

Everything went fine but only audio was not working.
Any ideas?
I ran mulitbeast again with User Dsdt or Dsdt free --> Drivers & Bootloaders--> Drivers --> AUdio --> Realtek --> Without DSdt --> ALC898

But after reboot it stuck on spinning apple logo.

Should I Install the Patched HDA? Or something similar??

And Last thing My bottom Thunderbolt Port works good but the top one has scribbled image cant see anything .Any fixes so that I can use both thunderbolt displays?

Check the below attachment. That is the issue i m facing.

Attachments

• 20121219_185611.jpg
    20121219_185611.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 227
I have a problem. Suddenly all my USB ports are gone USB2 as well as 3.0. I was installing little snitch that is all. Maybe a bit earlier I formatted a SSD with fat for later use with windows.

In verbose mode the system halts.

please somebody help.

Edit: after some search, little snitch is a Hackintosh killer!

Johnson13,

Try running Multibeast 5.1.3 and installing UserDSDT, Sound > Realtek Without DSDT ALC898 and reboot. This should fix your problem.

Thanks. It worked, my front headphone jack won't work, but the audio ports on the motherboard work. I am just glad I have sound now.

Gameboy35,

Try adding these two lines into your org.chameleon.Boot.plist in /Extras to help:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>

About your screen problem you can plug monitors onto the Nvidia too but you need to be aware you can only plug two monitors into either Thunderbolt ports and they MUST BE SEPARATED by a non-display device ie. storage etc ie. when you connect them it must be TB socket > TBDisplay > Storage > TBDisplay. This is stipulated in the Gigabyte manuals. In addition when using the DVI-D on the back with a TBDisplay, you cannot use TB Port 2 for displays but storage only.

As for the sound I don't know, but you could try replacing the AppleHDA.kext with a previous backed-up version and see if that helps, in addition to another Multibeast Realtek ALC898 update from v5.1.3.

If problems still persist trying to get in, try booting with -v -x, or -v -f.

Thanks. It worked, my front headphone jack won't work, but the audio ports on the motherboard work. I am just glad I have sound now.

You're welcome! hehehe :D

Hi SPS,

You're welcome! There certainly has been a lot of contributions here from everyone (not just myself). We all hope the process of installation gets easier...and I believe with if we foster a helpful but fertile community spirit we will all get there...
OK to answer your questions :) :

1) As far as I know at the moment we have to patch the Nvidia cards when we install it the first time. If you are coming from installing OSX from a HD4000 bootup, then yes you have to use Multibeast. But any changes you've made so far, no I don't think with the 10.8.3 it would break it. If anything it should be native by then.
Though I could suggest for stability and speed you could install the Nvidia Mac GeForce driver set, and the CUDA drivers.

2) I don't know about Alfa, but in my experience using 10.8.2 I didn't need to install any USB drivers as USB 3.0 is now running native (as 10.8.2 is for Ivy Bridge) - so I would leave it out - it's been working out fine on my setup so far with no hiccups. Also the Lacie drivers I found before on another setup to have been problematic at times. You probably need them on a 10.8 system, but not on 10.8.2 as far as I know. Also to resolve your USB 3.0 issues you should enable XHCI in BiOS if you can on your system (SET TO AUTO)....heard a lot of problems about that.

3) I've not bothered with the Macbook Update - unlike Alfa I think the Macbook Update is not necessary (for my 560Ti) though not sure for other cards ie. 660/670 etc. But if you have problems you could also add TRIM afterwards with Multibeast or TRIM Enabler (if you so desire). I used TRIM Enabler myself.

4) I use MacPro 3,1 for my definitions. It's worked out for me so far....

Thanks Middleman. Will be setting up my system tonight as I had to go out of town for couple days. Just couple things make sure I understand:
For 1) In the prev system - I never used the HD4000 as I mentioned and chose the Discreet option, I will follow the current instructions in this thread. I did not patch or modify my 660Ti, other than setting Graphics Enabler = No and installing the nVidia GFX + CUDA as you recommended and it worked great! I assume that if I set the BIOS to DISCREET option, I may not have to do this again?
In Alfa's thread http://i.imgur.com/dYrB4.png, I followed OpenCL Enabling to use Patched 10.8.0 GeForceGLDriver.bundle for 670xxx, I assume we don't do that anymore?

The rest, I will try and report with progress. Thanks for the help. I too will be using the MP 3,1. I assume the iMac 12,1, audio glitches haven't been resolved?

Thanks
SPS

Hi SPS,

Of course not....no need for the OpenGL patch since the drivers from Nvidia would have installed everything.
You've got CUDA running as well....what more do you need? :D

Also Alfa's patch was just a temporary fix until 10.8.2 was released with the correct drivers (I believe). As far as I know, the Kepler 6xx cards are now supported natively with OSX 10.8.2, so you're set! There's no need for the fix.

And yes, you choose the Discreet option, it shouldn't have any effect now since your system is using it already. Personally speaking I would just leave it as is just in case something happens and I need to go back to my setup.

Middleman,

So after 2 hours or so of fooling around and following the instructions, all good but AutoSleep/Wake was broken. I was getting NVDA DMA Errors with Channel Exceptions all over the Console when waking up and there was no output on display and only a reboot would solve this. After looking around, I have seen many were having such issues with the 660Ti and the only solution was to accept or go to 670. We need the Sleep function working so looks like I'll have to swap it out with a 670 before I can continue. Funny thing is that we have an identical system with 660Ti working w/o issues but that was built on 10.8.1 w/ MB 5.02 and then combo updated to 10.8.2. Although I saw the issues in the posts, I never encountered them and kept the 660Ti. So not sure what could be the cause and don't have the time to fiddle so 670 it is as I haven't found any solution to this from those who are having this.
For AutoSleep I used the default darkwait=0 and also the darkwait-10 flags. No difference.

Thanks
SPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back