Contribute
Register

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH Thunderbolt (Updated to 10.8.2 and MultiBeast 5.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It works!

Just wanted to report a success installing ML on my new rig. Relevant gear:

• GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH LGA 1155 Intel Z77 Thunderbolt Motherboard (BIOS F11)
  • Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) HD 4000 Graphics. No separate graphics card yet.
  • CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
  • TL-WDN4800 - TP-Link PCI Express Wifi Adapter
  • SanDisk Extreme SATA 6Gb/s 240GB SSD

I basically followed tonymac's shopping list for IvyBridge CustoMac Pro 2012, and then the instructions by alpha in this thread.

The install was not without problems. It would install fine, but then hang on restart. After a few tries I settled on a winning combination:
  • kernel flags: darkwake=0 PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x3000 (PCIRootUID=1 was the crucial bit, the rest was supplied by Multibeast)
  • graphics patch (see in the beginning of the thread). Without it the video was jerky on certain videos, and the resolution was far from optimal.

The sound - the simple kind - was working fine until I installed latest Apple's ML update. It killed the sound. I had to re-run Multibeast with just one option for the sound kext. Works fine now.

WiFi, Ethernet, eSATA, USB all work fine. I do not know how to check whether USB3 works to its full speed.
Next thing to do is get a BT dongle and a separate video card.

Many thanks for the instructions!

Karaimv,

In the BIOS, you can further increase the speed of the machine through the use of memory XMP profiles by changing it to Profile 1 and using the Expert settings to adjust the timing. This is a guide from GSkill Memory on how to do it > http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10714

As for the USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt tests, you can easily try this out with disk copying or cloning. If it's via SSD to SSD it should only take about 1GB per minute on Thunderbolt whilst about the same with USB 3.0 (just a slightly bit longer). You could also try the BlackMagic speed test with USB 3.0 drive to try out how copy speeds are on your setup and compare.

Typical speeds are shown here:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj4OTbUNMPw - OCZ SSD USB 3.0 Test
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9eR_gAhzH0 - 2.GB Folder 7.2K SATA2 HD USB 3.0 to Agility 3 USB 3.0 Test

no idea why, but going into the bios and disabling "auto core PLL voltage" seems to cure some USB problems. for me it was unresponsive USB keyboard/mouse for 20-30 seconds after wake, and also USB disks would be 'force ejected'. turing off that setting fixed it. seems crazy that it would have anything to do with USB.
thanks! but not sure where to find it! I look under M.I.T.\Advanced Voltage Settings\CPU Core Voltage Control\ but here there is "PLL voltage" voice but you can set it to Normal, Auto or a specific voltage. You cannot disable it. Can you check where this menu is?

Hi,

Firstly, thank you for this guide! I have some noob questions.

1. I've installed system definition iMac 13,1 with Multibeast 5.2.1. i would like to change it to iMac 12,1 for testing purposes. After running multibeast, selecting just the iMac 12,1 option and rebooting, my definitions still registers me as iMac 12,1. What is the correct method to update/remove kext?

2. I seem to have some issues with sleep. The system sleeps but the CPU fans still runs. I am able to wake it up but should sleep stop the fans?

thanks! but not sure where to find it! I look under M.I.T.\Advanced Voltage Settings\CPU Core Voltage Control\ but here there is "PLL voltage" voice but you can set it to Normal, Auto or a specific voltage. You cannot disable it. Can you check where this menu is?

What version is your BIOS? IIRC, you need F9 or higher to turn it off.

What version is your BIOS? IIRC, you need F9 or higher to turn it off.
I have the F12e ... and still looking for the right voice in the menu ...

1. I've installed system definition iMac 13,1 with Multibeast 5.2.1. i would like to change it to iMac 12,1 for testing purposes. After running multibeast, selecting just the iMac 12,1 option and rebooting, my definitions still registers me as iMac 12,1. What is the correct method to update/remove kext?

I'm having the same problem.

I'm having the same problem.

Normally it is through Multibeast selection then reboot but if it doesn't work you need to somehow check permissions, clear cache, touch and rebuild or reboot with -v -f. Sometimes I use OSXTools to do this, but you can try Disk Utility Repair Permissions first.

Hi,

Firstly, thank you for this guide! I have some noob questions.

2. I seem to have some issues with sleep. The system sleeps but the CPU fans still runs. I am able to wake it up but should sleep stop the fans?

Bgoh82,

1) Errr....you selected iMac 12,1 so thats what you get....

2) I think thats normal function for a desktop unless you've made changes to the BIOS

Alfa (and all),
Thanks so much for the guide and hard work. Its been perfect for the previous system and about to use it for another. Few questions for the newest build (will be same as Main Rig in Sig)..

1) If you will never use the HD4000 and only the 660Ti, do you still need to patch file with GFX? I remember you had an option in the guide if you only want to use the discreet card. If I do end up patching it, will the upgrade to let's say 10.8.3 when released break this and will have to do this all over?

2) I noticed some folks saying no USB3 drivers are needed but in the guide there are 2 pictures, one that selects the LACIE USB3.0 options (down below in first post) and another that doesn't list it. Which is the right one? Pick the USB3 (Lacie) option?

3) For my last system (which is running fine with similar components on 10.8.2), I had to use TRIM hack which is now baked in but few have complained that the MacBook Update disables that. Any thoughts please?

4) I use the MacPro 3,1 definition for the better PSTATES and the audio glitch on the previous system, any reason to go iMac (other than Airplay) and is MP3,1 still the better for PRO use for Video/Audio

Thanks so much
SPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back