Contribute
Register

AMD 7600 GPU Launch

Would appreciate some advice as I’m out of my depth with Radeon GPUs. I’m desperately needing to upgrade my video editing workstation from High Sierra, where I’ve been trapped still holding onto my Nvidia GPU that’s still great but I can’t upgrade OS X with it so still also on old versions of Adobe software. The Radeon RX 7600 seems best in my price range and mildly outperforms the GTX 1080ti According to a benchmark test I found.

Am I right in thinking that the Radeon will still be backwards compatible and work fine as an IDE 4.0 card in my old IDE 3.0 motherboard? Apparently this is the case.

And the other query is, do these cheaper Radeon RX 7600 GPUs listed above still perform as good as the AMD Radeon RX 7600w for double the price? And would the cheaper ones suffice migrating my Asus rig (which is AMD crossfire compatible) to OSX Big Sur or would I need the AMD version?

Be careful. So far I don't think there are any macOS drivers for the latest series of cards. Only a few of the 6000-series. Happy to be proved wrong though ...

:)

Would appreciate some advice as I’m out of my depth with Radeon GPUs. I’m desperately needing to upgrade my video editing workstation from High Sierra, where I’ve been trapped still holding onto my Nvidia GPU that’s still great but I can’t upgrade OS X with it so still also on old versions of Adobe software. The Radeon RX 7600 seems best in my price range and mildly outperforms the GTX 1080ti According to a benchmark test I found.

Am I right in thinking that the Radeon will still be backwards compatible and work fine as an IDE 4.0 card in my old IDE 3.0 motherboard? Apparently this is the case.

And the other query is, do these cheaper Radeon RX 7600 GPUs listed above still perform as good as the AMD Radeon RX 7600w for double the price? And would the cheaper ones suffice migrating my Asus rig (which is AMD crossfire compatible) to OSX Big Sur or would I need the AMD version?
currently no support for 7 series AMD cards:

And I’ve read some other posts mentioning native OS X Monterey support for these so would we be safe in thinking they will still support later OSX updates?
The AMD 6800XT still has support in Sonoma and should continue to have support in macOS 15 next year. That is dependent on whether there is still Intel support in macOS for all of us hackintoshers. Time will tell. We'll know by June of 2024 at WWDC. I think that it's likely macOS 15 is the last version to support Intel Macs. Hope to be proven wrong though.

Unfortunately the AMD RX 7000 series of GPUS aren’t supported in macOS, in any way shape or form.

You need to look at the RX 6000 series for a compatible AMD GPU.

Top end is the RX 6900 XT & 6950 XT, not far behind is the RX6800/6800 XT. Lower end is the RX 6600/6650 XT cards.

The RX6650 XT is probably in the same price range as the RX7600 and offers the same performance you were looking at buying, possibly can be obtained a bit cheaper than the newer RX 7600. The RX6600 XT goes for sub £200 in the UK.

Have a look at the TechPowerUp page for more information on the RX 6650 XT.

Unfortunately the AMD RX 7000 series of GPUS aren’t supported in macOS, in any way shape or form.

You need to look at the RX 6000 series for a compatible AMD GPU.

Top end is the RX 6900 XT & 6950 XT, not far behind is the RX6800/6800 XT. Lower end is the RX 6600/6650 XT cards.

The RX6650 XT is probably in the same price range as the RX7600 and offers the same performance you were looking at buying, possibly can be obtained a bit cheaper than the newer RX 7600. The RX6600 XT goes for sub £200 in the UK.

Have a look at the TechPowerUp page for more information on the RX 6650 XT.

Many thanks Edhawk and the others for your tips. As a professional video editor then, assuming I go for an RX 6000 range GPU for my work rig, Should I then assume Monterey would support them And update to that or go for a clean install of Ventura with better support for these GPUs?

The RX 6800 & RX 6900 cards first gained native support in Big Sur. The RX 6600 cards gained support in Monterey 12.1.

So all the natively supported AMD 6000 series graphics cards work in the latest release of Monterey. They also work in macOS Ventura and the soon to be released Sonoma.

Not sure I can say the same for your X99 system.

Update Edit - I just found this one which really would be a better and cheaper upgrade (AMD Rx 6800XT) for pro video editing.

And I’ve read some other posts mentioning native OS X Monterey support for these so would we be safe in thinking they will still support later OSX updates?

And could anyone plz point me in the direction of good Setup guides for modifying my clover installer? Much appreciated guys
I presume you meant PCIe instead of IDE?

Back