Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Newegg have quickly listed the RX 7600 launch GPU, I would choose the Sapphire Pulse!. Initial reviews based on looking at the faces of the usual suspects within the YouTube Tech scene suggest they're not impressed, 6500 anyone.

Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 7.59.38 AM.png

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=rx+7600&cm_sp=KeywordRelated-_-INFOCARD-_-7600-_-rx%207600

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-announces-269-radeon-rx-7600-rdna3-graphics-card

Disappointed that AMD didn't spec these with at least 12GB VRAM (probably saving that for an XT version or maybe a 16GB RX 7650 (plain or XT) or a 7800 - which I don't see happening as it would then most likely cannibalize 7900 sales).

What would be better is for Apple to allow AMD to provide drivers for the AMD Radeon PRO W7900 and W7800 graphics cards, so the desktop versions of these cards can be used in the Mac Pro running Ventura.

The W7600 would also be a good addition (if such a card exists) but that is less likely than the Mac Pro getting access to the medium and high end cards.

I have seen so many reviews lamenting this card "not having more than 8GB VRAM".

Personally I think that given the price of this card I don't really believe you should expect more VRAM. A similar card with more VRAM will cost more, may be US$50 or more (Nvidia charges US$100 more for the upcoming 16GB version of the RTX 4060 Ti compared to the just released 8GB version). Willing to pay for that?

I will quote the relevant section of the TechPowerup review conclusion :
Radeon RX 7600 comes with an 8 GB VRAM buffer — just like AMD's last-generation cards, i.e. RX 6600 XT, RX 6600, RX 5700 XT. There have been heated discussions claiming that 8 GB is already "obsolete", I've even seen people say that about 12 GB. While it would be nice of course to have more VRAM on the RX 7600, for the vast majority of games, especially at resolutions like 1080p, having more VRAM will make exactly zero difference. In our test suite not a single game shows any performance penalty for RX 7600 vs cards with more VRAM (at 1080p). New games like Resident Evil, Hogwarts Legacy, The Last of Us and Jedi Survivor do allocate a lot of VRAM, which doesn't mean all that data actually gets used. No doubt, you can find edge cases where 8 GB will not be enough, and you'll run into stutter, but for thousands of games it will be a complete non-issue, and I think it's not unreasonable for buyers in this price-sensitive segment to set textures to High instead of Ultra, for two or three titles.

What would be better is for Apple to allow AMD to provide drivers for the AMD Radeon PRO W7900 and W7800 graphics cards, so the desktop versions of these cards can be used in the Mac Pro running Ventura.

The W7600 would also be a good addition (if such a card exists) but that is less likely than the Mac Pro getting access to the medium and high end cards.
I used to do a lot of 3D solid modeling starting with AutoCAD, then Solid Edge, some Pro-E, and then mostly Solidworks on workstations that usually had the FireGL pro cards installed (or the Nvidia Quadra alternatives). I can't imagine how bad those cards would have been without driver support.

Why would Apple do that given its focus on the Apple Silicon transition? Why would Apple support more hardware for the outgoing Intel Mac Pro? I simply don't see it coming.

I have seen so many reviews lamenting this card "not having more than 8GB VRAM".

Personally I think that given the price of this card I don't really believe you should expect more VRAM. A similar card with more VRAM will cost more, may be US$50 or more (Nvidia charges US$100 more for the upcoming 16GB version of the RTX 4060 Ti compared to the just released 8GB version). Willing to pay for that?

I will quote the relevant section of the TechPowerup review conclusion :
The writing is on the wall. GPUs aren't selling - especially with each of the 2 mfgs screwing up their latest offerings/launches. Unless the GPU market does even a modest bump in sales, then the RX 7600 8GB should have been a $249 launch with a second 12GB version at $299 and then maybe a 16GB SKU at $325-$350 - especially if they aren't going to offer either an XT variant OR an RX 7700/7800.

The writing is on the wall. GPUs aren't selling - especially with each of the 2 mfgs screwing up their latest offerings/launches. Unless the GPU market does even a modest bump in sales, then the RX 7600 8GB should have been a $249 launch with a second 12GB version at $299 and then maybe a 16GB SKU at $325-$350 - especially if they aren't going to offer either an XT variant OR an RX 7700/7800.
US$249 vs US$269? Not such a big difference, is there?

It may be true that "GPUs aren't selling" now, but I don't think the 2 companies (especially Nvidia which sells a large number of very expensive workstation GPUs for AI applications) really care too much about that. Have you wondered why AMD has not had a new card in the RDNA3 family after the 7900s until now? And as you said there may be no 7800 / 7700 at all.

The 2 companies may not have to rely on consumer GPU sales to maintain profits now. Besides, do we really have a third choice now when it comes to dedicated graphics cards? Intel still has a way to go, and there is no guarantee it will continue to invest in its own dGPUs down the road.

US$249 vs US$269? Not such a big difference, is there?

It may be true that "GPUs aren't selling" now, but I don't think the 2 companies (especially Nvidia which sells a large number of very expensive workstation GPUs for AI applications) really care too much about that. Have you wondered why AMD has not had a new card in the RDNA3 family after the 7900s until now? And as you said there may be no 7800 / 7700 at all.

The 2 companies may not have to rely on consumer GPU sales to maintain profits now. Besides, do we really have a third choice now when it comes to dedicated graphics cards? Intel still has a way to go, and there is no guarantee it will continue to invest in its own dGPUs down the road.
Crypto was just the tip of the iceberg but still showed what can be done with GPU farms. Too many other fields - such as AI, VR, and AR - among others - are all going to be the main (legit) drivers of GPU hardware AND software technology going forward. And even if gaming continues to grow - in terms of just graphics processing power alone, it will still be nowhere near the huge amounts of data crunching needed/used in the above fields. They might just push gaming into a niche market - albeit a huge one but most likely to be dwarfed by the new cutting-edge darlings mentioned above.

Would appreciate some advice as I’m out of my depth with Radeon GPUs. I’m desperately needing to upgrade my video editing workstation from High Sierra, where I’ve been trapped still holding onto my Nvidia GPU that’s still great but I can’t upgrade OS X with it so still also on old versions of Adobe software. The Radeon RX 7600 seems best in my price range and mildly outperforms the GTX 1080ti According to a benchmark test I found.

Am I right in thinking that the Radeon will still be backwards compatible and work fine as an IDE 4.0 card in my old IDE 3.0 motherboard? Apparently this is the case.

And the other query is, do these cheaper Radeon RX 7600 GPUs listed above still perform as good as the AMD Radeon RX 7600w for double the price? And would the cheaper ones suffice migrating my Asus rig (which is AMD crossfire compatible) to OSX Big Sur or would I need the AMD version?

Update Edit - I just found this one which really would be a better and cheaper upgrade (AMD Rx 6800XT) for pro video editing.

And I’ve read some other posts mentioning native OS X Monterey support for these so would we be safe in thinking they will still support later OSX updates?

And could anyone plz point me in the direction of good Setup guides for modifying my clover installer? Much appreciated guys

Last edited:
Back