Contribute
Register

Trying to "roll my own" DSDT for ASRock H77M-ITX: HELP! :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
BoomR said:
Sadly, my audio-over-HDMI is **not** working. I followed the instructions at the Interim Realtek Ivy Bridge Lion AppleHDA post and, of course, used your patched DSDT, Mieze (thanks again for that!).

I double-checked the audio settings for my Toshiba HDTV and it is set to "HDMI Auto" - so the HDTV is expecting audio over that connection (the LCD displays a "splash screen" showing the currently selected HDMI-1 connection; it also displays PCM for audio). I also tried different Lion Sound preferences options - basically every option BUT "Internal Speaker" (which is what works when I have my Bose desktop 2-ch speakers connected).

I found this thread: viewtopic.php?f=162&t=31948 - but I'm curious if those are the edits that you've already made to my DSDT file? If not, then I need to study these instructions & make these final edits. If you have already made these edits, then I'm not sure what the next steps would be.
Hello BoomR,

yes, I did most of the edits described in the this thread, but in device IGPU the method _DSM was missing because I limited the edits to those absolutely necessary to get HD3000 graphics working as it simplifies tracking down errors. I attached a completed version of the DSDT.

I also want to note that there is one difference between the edits proposed in the thread and my edit. On a real Mac mini the value of the property "hda-gfx" is "onboard-1" instead of "onboard-2". Therefore I decided to stick with the value Apple uses. In my experience both values should work fine as long as consistency is preserved i. e. the value of the property "hda-gfx" is either "onboard-1" or "onboard-2" in the method _DSM of both devices IGPU and HDEF.

In case you want to use the power button to send the machine to sleep / wake it up (needs to be enabled under Mac OS X in system preferences too) it might be necessary to add another patch.

Good luck!

Mieze

Attachments

• H77MITX-patched-2.aml.zip
    13.9 KB · Views: 80
Mieze said:
Hello BoomR,

yes, I did most of the edits described in the this thread, but in device IGPU the method _DSM was missing because I limited the edits to those absolutely necessary to get HD3000 graphics working as it simplifies tracking down errors. I attached a completed version of the DSDT.

I also want to note that there is one difference between the edits proposed in the thread and my edit. On a real Mac mini the value of the property "hda-gfx" is "onboard-1" instead of "onboard-2". Therefore I decided to stick with the value Apple uses. In my experience both values should work fine as long as consistency is preserved i. e. the value of the property "hda-gfx" is either "onboard-1" or "onboard-2" in the method _DSM of both devices IGPU and HDEF.

In case you want to use the power button to send the machine to sleep / wake it up (needs to be enabled under Mac OS X in system preferences too) it might be necessary to add another patch.

Good luck!

Mieze

THANK YOU AGAIN!!

I understand your logic on those edits & appreciate your detail. BTW, I think sleep/wake is working on power button. I was playing with the new version of Plex tonight & it appeared to have locked up. I tried to do 8-second press of my power button to force-shutdown. But evidently I don't know how to count 8 seconds :crazy: When I pressed again, my cube came back to life - and seemed to be functioning properly!!

I will do a proper test tomorrow after work with the new DSDT, and also report on sleep/wake again.

Stay tuned!!! Again, many thanks!!!

Hello BoomR,

I just upgraded DSDT Editor from version 0.7 to 0.8 and found out that the patched DSDT I sent you wouldn't compile with it. Therefore I had to make some additional changes. Please try the corrected DSDT I attached to this post and report back if it works flawlessly.

Mieze

Attachments

• H77MITX-patched-3.aml.zip
    13.9 KB · Views: 79
Mieze said:
Please try the corrected DSDT I attached to this post and report back if it works flawlessly.

I wish I could report that it works flawlessly... :( (I just tried it - no audio over HDMI) :(

My process was:
1. Download latest MultiBeast, then place your latest DSDT on my desktop
2. Run MB with the following:
[x] User DSDT
[x] System Utilities
Drivers & Bootloaders
[x] Disk > 3rd Party SATA
Misc
[x] SMB Motherboard Plugin
[x] Hardware monitor app
[x] Patched AppleIntelCPUPower for 10.7.4
Network
[x] Lnx2Mac's Realtek RTL81xx
Bootloaders
[x] Boot options > SSDT > i5
Customization
[x] MacMini profile

3 Reboot.
4. Used KextBeast to install Toleda's Interim IB/Lion AppleHDA kext (and rebooted)

Then tried Plex to watch a video - no audio. Used VLC to watch another video - again, no audio. Double-checked HDTV's settings to confirm that PC audio input was disabled; HDMI input 1 audio set to "AUTO" - Also tried to set it to "Digital" (I even tried "Analog"). No luck.

Went into the BIOS to check the audio settings. There is a line-item for HDMI HD Audio - it was set to Auto; I changed it to "ENABLE" - I also changed the main HD Audio setting from "Auto" to "Enable" as well. Rebooted; re-installed Interim IB/Lion AppleHDA kext.

Still nothing... :(

I think I need a drink - and of course I need to buy you several for all your hard work & assistance!!

First you should check if there are any sound assertions in /var/log/kernel.log. Next would be to verify IORegistry as described in the thread about HDMI Audio.

Unfortunately there is nearly no information about HDMI audio in the Interim Realtek Ivy Bridge Lion AppleHDA thread. I hope this doesn't indicate that it's not supported. Comparing the DSDT with the one of an 2011 Mac mini I might have found another piece of information to demystify HDMI audio. It has an additional device called HDAU which carries the "hda-gfx" property instead of HDEF. I will keep digging further to get more information.

I attached another version of the DSDT in which I set "hda-gfx" to "onboard-2". I don't think that this will help but who knows?

Good luck!

Mieze

Attachments

• H77MITX-patched-4.aml.zip
    13.9 KB · Views: 84
(((SIGH))) No difference with the v4 DSDT file :(

Here's a copy of my kernel.log.txt - EDIT (removed all but the most recent log entries & uploaded revised txt file)
kernel.log.txt

I will go take a look at this now. Also will go have a look at IORegistry, but that might be difficult right now. I am having problems with my AppleID - I am getting messages on my MacBook Pro (Early 2011 model) that my Apple ID has been disabled. I think I have to purchase some tool from the App store to get the IORegistry app...??

Attachments

• kernel.log.txt
    22.8 KB · Views: 160
Well, after many days of research, hard work (esp on the part of Mieze), I am happy to report: COMPLETE SUCCESS!!!

My ASRock H77M-ITX board that powers my Cube 2.0 build is fully-functional, including audio over HDMI via onboard Intel HD3000!!

My steps to success:

BIOS settings:
Used all the recommended/proper BIOS settings as found in Lnx2Mac's Blog post on BIOS settings Of course, since this is ASRock board, and ESP since it is new UEFI BIOS, some critical thinking involved in order to map/match-up parameter names from traditional Gigabyte BIOS to ASRock UEFI. But basically whenever possible, just used default settings; however, making sure to enable things like ACHI mode, as well as enabling on-board HD Audio and HDMI audio.

OSX Installation:
Using latest UniBeast (1.4) I did a fresh install of Lion 10.7.4 from my retail purchase of OSX in the App Store, taking care to follow these instructions.

DSDT file for ASRock H77M-ITX:
MANY MANY thanks to Mieze for all his hard work. He took my extracted DSDT file from the motherboard & applied necessary edits & patches when my attempts to follow the "create your own DSDT" instructions failed. The last tweak to the DSDT file was done last night - a change to the layout-id in order to activate the HD Audio via HDMI settings.

For those of you who are currently trying (or are thinking of trying) to use this board, ESPECIALLY if you want to use on-board HD3000 graphics and have audio over HDMI, then this DSDT file will give you the success you want:
H77MITX-patched-layout-id-392.aml.zip

Note in the filename that it uses layout-id 392 which activates the HDMI audio feature. If you plan to use a discrete graphics card, or want some other more advanced multi-channel audio configuration, that may require additional edits to the DSDT in order to define the proper layout-id. (Mieze - please correct me if this assertion is incorrect).

If you've been following this thread, you may recall that a DSDT file is NOT required - I was able to get a somewhat successful build using EasyBeast option in MultiBeast. Check previous posts from me for the options I selected to get EB to work.

MultiBeast installation:
With the patched DSDT file from Mieze on my desktop, it's time to run latest MultiBeast. It's important you run MB 4.6.x as this new version now includes the necessary kext edits/enablers for 7-series Ivy Bridge motherboards. You no longer need to follow Toleda's Interim Ivy Bridge Realtek audio kext installation process in order to get audio working on 7-series IB motherboards! :headbang:

The MultiBeast settings I used are as follows (this configuration includes motherboard plugin & hardware monitor app, as I want to closely monitor CPU/mobo temp inside my Cube build):

[x] User DSDT
[x] System Utilities
Drivers & Bootloaders
Kexts & Enablers
[x] Audio > Realtek ALC8xx > Patched AppleHDA > ALC892
[x] Disk > 3rd Party SATA
Misc
[x] SMB Motherboard Plugin
[x] Hardware monitor app
[x] Patched AppleIntelCPUPower for 10.7.4
Network
[x] Lnx2Mac's Realtek RTL81xx
Bootloaders
[x] Boot options > SSDT > i5
Customization
[x] MacMini profile

Once you successfully complete MultiBeast install, reboot. To be on the safe side, at Chimera screen, I used GraphicsEnabler=No upon first reboot after MB installation. While I didn't have any problems without, there is still one more patch that needs to be done to speed the boot process and give full HDMI video functionality.

HD3000 video patch for HDMI
As instructed by Mieze, I booted up Terminal & patched AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext (there is also the option to use Dremwatcher's AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFBInjector.kext to resolve this issue). This step is crucial to get working QE/CI. For more info & instructions, please see http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=61821

Reboot after patch
Making this patch causes your kernel caches to be updated/rebuilt. Your first boot after applying this patch may take longer than usual. BUT the good news is: You should now be done with installation & configuration once reboot is complete.

Of course, to confirm full functionality, I checked System Preferences to make sure I had:
--working Ethernet
--all Displays resolution options
...and finally:
--Audio > Output - to make sure that I have HDMI audio option:Sound.png

And with that, I think it brings my journey to a close as it relates to getting a finely-tuned build. At the gray Apple boot screen & spinning progress indicator, I only wait about 1-2 seconds (1-2 spins of the progress indicator), and then I'm at the desktop!

If you are also considering this board for a new HTPC or MiniHack, it is a great option! And now, thanks to our great colleague Mieze, we have a functional DSDT file. If you download & use the file, please also share your thanks & appreciation to Mieze. And also maybe even consider a donation to tonymacx86.com.

Cheers to everyone!

Attachments

• H77MITX-patched-layout-id-392.aml.zip
    13.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Sound.png
    Sound.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 247
Hi BoomR! Just got a ASRock H77M-ITX and can't wait to get Lion up and running, and it looks like you and others here have got a lot of the legwork worked out.

How would you recommend changing these instructions for someone running an iB CPU (i5-3570k)? Thanks so much. Can't wait to get started

Hello BoomR,

You have done excellent job by making this work.. !!! I also bought the same motherboard taking inspiration from you. However mine is bit budget build and going to use "i3-2105 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz" instead of 2500k.

This will be my first hackintosh with no previous experience. However your work and provided instruction will make it easy for me. Only thing I am not sure is about the different processor which I am going to use ( i3-2105 instead of 2500K), can you please help me what changes in DSDT required for this. (if any).

Will appreciate your help .. Thanks.

mac_curious said:
This will be my first hackintosh with no previous experience. However your work and provided instruction will make it easy for me. Only thing I am not sure is about the different processor which I am going to use ( i3-2105 instead of 2500K), can you please help me what changes in DSDT required for this. (if any).
The DSDT should work fine with your CPU too. You can follow the instructions but as Core i3 doesn't support TurboBoost you don't need to install the SSDT.

Mieze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back