Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Recently received a "zipped" folder uploaded to tonymac and unzipping it produced the result in the screenshot below. This was caused by the Apple-supplied "Winzip.app" application in my Sonoma Applications folder being pre-set to unzip with Winzip, rather than the Unarchive Utility.
Unzipped by Winzip in Sonoma.jpg

I fixed this by changing the GetInfo "Open with" option to Unarchive Utility. This reset the app to give back the one actual file that had been zipped, instead of that confusing result in the picture above. I also found that the Winzip.app has that option as well... just had to find it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Apple does not supply Winzip.app. Perhaps you installed it from the app store?

Apple does not supply Winzip.app. Perhaps you installed it from the app store?
Really? I assumed it's there as the result of installing Sonoma. I don't recall ever ordering it from anywhere. The original Sonoma installer came from "Mr. Macintosh" and is supposedly direct from Apple. As I'm the only person who has ever used this computer, either I'm having a senior moment or this app was here from the original installation.

This was caused by the Apple-supplied "Winzip.app" application
Winzip is a third party app, Apple do not supply it.

Open the App Store, Click on your name and then look at your purchased apps.

Open the App Store, Click on your name and then look at your purchased apps.
I answered this twice yesterday, but posts are gone today. The solution was that the latest version of Roxio Toast ("Toast 20 Pro") to which I upgraded a few days ago, bundled WinZip and set MacOS to use it when unzipping. All without my knowledge. I just needed to reset to "ArchiveUtility.app" to clear away all that nonsense.
Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 9.38.49 AM.jpg

Last edited:
I answered this twice yesterday, but posts are gone today.
Your posts were removed because you included your registration details for Winzip.

Your posts were removed because you included your registration details for Winzip.
I see what you are saying, but please realize that I did not register Winzip at all; I registered Roxio Toast, and the screenshot I posted is just the window displayed by Winzip from the menu item "About Winzip." If they want to display their own serial number, that's up to them, I guess.

Back