Graphics
Sapphire 5700XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
GA-Z97X-UD5H Random Freezing

Now I know this has been an issue for many members going on my recent searches of the forums and I cannot work out why Tonymac have such a hard on for these dam Gigabyte boards but anyway wanted to see if anyone has permanently resolved the issues with random freezing etc. My old Sandy Bridge rig with the 2600k was rock solid for over 1.5yrs.

What I have tried so far:

3 Fresh installs
GTX 780 / Titan X graphics cards
Disabled Audio / Lan controllers
Changed out ram from 16gb 1600 to 32gb 1866 Corsair Vengence
Changing SMBIOS definition from Mac Pro 3,1 to iMac 14,2
Throttling CPU down to 3.8ghz
Throttling ram back to 1333mhz with and without XMP profiles & Enhanced stability mode

Bear in mind the system is 100% stable in Windows even at 4.5ghz

Close to burning the rig to the ground and getting a Mac Pro after these crashes have corrupted my FCPx libraries twice from crashes.

I have the Z97X UD5H Black version and mine is solid. The only time I can recall a crash is when I accidentally kicked it and knocked a loose GPU board out of its slot as it wasn't screwed in properly. Stupidity on my part. I also use mine with FCP X but I have the 280X cards as opposed to nVidia.

Anyway, enough of whats working for mine, lets see the differences to yours.

I'm away from my system at the moment, but from memory

1. GTX 780 / Titan X graphics cards - I use AMD cards. I assume that all your nVidia drivers are up to date.

2. Disabled Audio / Lan controllers - I do not use the crappy killer network interface. I use the Intel one as Intel make proper Ethernet controllers that don't rely on the CPU. Which Ethernet driver are you using?

3. Changed out ram from 16gb 1600 to 32gb 1866 Corsair Vengence. - This is the one that makes me suspicious. I can't remember what RAM I have but I was very, very picky on it and triple checked it would work. I also have 4 x 8GB so I know that the motherboard supports it and works well with the right memory in. I have to say that would be the area I would check very closely.

4. Changing SMBIOS definition from Mac Pro 3,1 to iMac 14,2 - Same as mine.

5. Throttling CPU down to 3.8ghz - Never needed to. What CPU are you using? If its the 4790K you need to update the BIOS, but the 4790K won't work in Windows either without the right BIOS. So don't think this is the issue. I have F6 (from memory).

6. Throttling ram back to 1333mhz with and without XMP profiles & Enhanced stability mode - This is really the same as 3. I do use XMP and did try the Enhanced Stability but went back to XMP.

The fact mine is the Blk version should make zero difference as its just undergone additional checks at the factory.

Other things that come to mind:

1. Are you using Multibeast or Clover? I had random crashes with Multibeast, normally after restarting. Once it started and lasted beyond 30 minutes it normally stayed up. I have Windows as well but it only gets used for Battlefield 4. Clover, whilst not as simple to install, has been very, very reliable. I'm struggling to remember a crash under Clover (notwithstanding me kicking the sodding machine by mistake).

2. PSU. Whilst I can't get too excited about them, have you the right PSU. The fact that Windows works does tend to indicate that its fine, to be honest this would be almost at the bottom of things to check.

3. Is everything tightened down? I would have sworn on a stack of bibles that everything was really screwed down in my machine and then I found I had simply forgotten to screw one of the 280X cards in. Basic simple, stupid error.

4. Heat - Unlikely given that Windows works.

5. USB - Any USB activity?

6. Are you sleeping the machine? I run mine 24x7 (its often crunching databases) and so have disabled anything that can put the machine to sleep. Not sure if sleep even works on my machine.

I'm sure I'll think of something else.

I really, really like the Z97X. For me its been very, very reliable (the words perfect and rock solid are banned from my vocabulary), but I'm happy with mine.

Clover was the biggest change for the better as well.

Hope that gives you something to think about.

Rob.

1. Are you using Multibeast or Clover? I had random crashes with Multibeast, normally after restarting. Once it started and lasted beyond 30 minutes it normally stayed up. I have Windows as well but it only gets used for Battlefield 4. Clover, whilst not as simple to install, has been very, very reliable. I'm struggling to remember a crash under Clover (notwithstanding me kicking the sodding machine by mistake).

2. PSU. Whilst I can't get too excited about them, have you the right PSU. The fact that Windows works does tend to indicate that its fine, to be honest this would be almost at the bottom of things to check.

3. Is everything tightened down? I would have sworn on a stack of bibles that everything was really screwed down in my machine and then I found I had simply forgotten to screw one of the 280X cards in. Basic simple, stupid error.

4. Heat - Unlikely given that Windows works.

5. USB - Any USB activity?

6. Are you sleeping the machine? I run mine 24x7 (its often crunching databases) and so have disabled anything that can put the machine to sleep. Not sure if sleep even works on my machine.

I'm sure I'll think of something else.

I really, really like the Z97X. For me its been very, very reliable (the words perfect and rock solid are banned from my vocabulary), but I'm happy with mine.

Clover was the biggest change for the better as well.

Hope that gives you something to think about.

Rob.[/COLOR]

Thanks for the reply :)

1. Using Multibeast, never really used anything else as I've never had issues in the past, could give clover a go but don't see how it could improve the situation?

2. PSU is a Antec HCP1000+ Platinum, everything in the system is top notch

3. Yup everything is mounted perfectly, just redid the Noctua cooler the other day also due to the ram upgrade.

4. Seriously doubt it as I can game for an entire day in Windows without an issue

5. I do have USB devices but just my cinema display hub, DAC and peripherals

6. Not sleeping this machine, this is just booting from cold

The freezing is weird, it can happen when crunching projects in FCPx or it can happen loading a web page. The NVIDIA drivers are at their latest version and it was never an issue in the past with my i7 2600k system. The current CPU is the i7 4790k. I disable all the onboard stuff usually with mainboards as I have an external DAC and an Intel CT network card which I carry over to each build.

I just assumed many people were having this issue after searching the forums and seeing countless posts in build threads with the same random lockups :(

Your machine is very, very similar to mine then. I also have the 4790K, Noctura cooler and a 1200W EVGA PSU (it was incorrectly priced at around £100) so is a little overkill but its quiet.

So with the exception of the nVidia cards (and possibly the memory) we're pretty closely matched.

The one thing that made the difference for me was the move to Clover from Multibeast. Whenever I booted from Windows back to Mac OS X it would freeze 50% of the time within 10 minutes and sometimes more than once. It would normally be OK after 2nd or 3rd reboot. My suspicion was something still in memory caused an issue but I have no idea to be honest.

I did a complete rebuild and installed Clover and have never had the issue come back. I have the occasional freeze but uptime would be in the days or weeks rather than hours. Its now no less reliable than my Macbook Pro or my 'real' iMac or my old Mac Pro.

I also thought that moving to Clover would make no difference as why should it, but for me it worked and I don't have the random freezes. I cannot guarantee that your installation will work, but you seem to have excellent kit, you know it all works under Windows, assuming your BIOS is at the right level, this might be the only thing left to try.

The only other thing is the nVidia driver under FCP X. I cannot help here as I don't use nVidia cards. Does this only happen with FCP X or basically anyime. I suspect 'anytime' but it would be good to confirm.

<rant on>I also share your pain and frustration with FCP X losses. The backup and archiving system under FCP X is utterly, utterly, utterly bollocks (thats a word that the profanity checked doesn't know :)) and the person who stopped us using network storage should be jailed in the worst Mexican jail imaginable and subjected to Frozen played at insane volumes for the rest of their natural life. I do not have the words to express my contempt for how awful it is. <rant off>

Just my 2p worth.

Rob

I also thought that moving to Clover would make no difference as why should it, but for me it worked and I don't have the random freezes. I cannot guarantee that your installation will work, but you seem to have excellent kit, you know it all works under Windows, assuming your BIOS is at the right level, this might be the only thing left to try.

The only other thing is the nVidia driver under FCP X. I cannot help here as I don't use nVidia cards. Does this only happen with FCP X or basically anyime. I suspect 'anytime' but it would be good to confirm.

<rant on>I also share your pain and frustration with FCP X losses. The backup and archiving system under FCP X is utterly, utterly, utterly bollocks (thats a word that the profanity checked doesn't know :)) and the person who stopped us using network storage should be jailed in the worst Mexican jail imaginable and subjected to Frozen played at insane volumes for the rest of their natural life. I do not have the words to express my contempt for how awful it is. <rant off>

Just my 2p worth.

Rob

Yeah it can happen anytime, it could go a day with no issue and you think its fixed then suddenly its freezes 5 times in 20 minutes just surfing the net which is probably the most frustrating part as you can't recreate it.

I shall give clover a go tomorrow and see if I have a breakthrough, would be a nice change as I have been at this for over a month now and basically left the system gathering dust lol. It could be an NVIDIA thing just hard to wrap my head around as it didn't happen with the previous build.

Yes the FCPx and network storage, don't get me started. Really need to learn Premiere and ditch the POS.

Yeah it can happen anytime, it could go a day with no issue and you think its fixed then suddenly its freezes 5 times in 20 minutes just surfing the net which is probably the most frustrating part as you can't recreate it.

I shall give clover a go tomorrow and see if I have a breakthrough, would be a nice change as I have been at this for over a month now and basically left the system gathering dust lol. It could be an NVIDIA thing just hard to wrap my head around as it didn't happen with the previous build.

Yes the FCPx and network storage, don't get me started. Really need to learn Premiere and ditch the POS.

I have never installed Clover over Multibeast so can't help here. P1lgrim has provided a link, as with all things like this, read once, twice and thrice before doing anything.

Carbon Copy Cloner is your very best friend here.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes

Rob

I have never installed Clover over Multibeast so can't help here. P1lgrim has provided a link, as with all things like this, read once, twice and thrice before doing anything.

Carbon Copy Cloner is your very best friend here.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes

Rob

Cheers guys will report back :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back