Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97-HD3
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GT 710
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi everyone, i tried to find some information about these two and i'm pretty confused so my questions are:
- can Monterey be installed on this motherboard?
- if so, should i go with Clover or Opencore?

Right now i'm on 10.12.6 Sierra and i'm using Nvidia GT 710 card (i got this one because of Kepler core)

Thank you

Hi everyone, i tried to find some information about these two and i'm pretty confused so my questions are:
- can Monterey be installed on this motherboard?
Yes, but it will be wise to remove the GT 710 and use the HD4600 integrated graphics. All Kepler cards lost support in Monterey. If you use Macmini7,1 SMBIOS then the HD4600 will work as it's natively supported in that Mac mini model.

Read and follow this guide by Edhawk. You can and should use a newer OC version than 0.7.5. It's ok to start with that, get the OS installed and then upgrade OC later.

should i go with Clover or Opencore?
OpenCore is the way to go for Big Sur or newer macOS versions. Try installing Monterey to a clean SSD so that you can leave the Sierra install alone and keep it as a backup. You can migrate to the new drive with a time machine backup of the Sierra drive.

The 2014 Haswell based Mac mini actually has HD5000 graphics. The HD4600 are the same thing, with half the EUs and shaders of the HD5000. This is why HD4600 is fully supported in Monterey when you use Macmini7,1 as your SMBIOS.

4600:5000 iGPU.jpg

thank you soo much! will give it a try for sure. should i first install 12.0.1 and update to 12.3 or 12.6 or i can directly install 12.3 or 12.6?

should i first install 12.0.1 and update to 12.3 or 12.6 or i can directly install 12.3 or 12.6?
Start with the newest available version of Monterey. You can use GibMacOS to download it.

Start with the newest available version of Monterey. You can use GibMacOS to download it.
An alternative source and method is here. You can download the "InstallAssistant.pkg" for Monterey 12.6.2 and go from there. (It worked for my Skylake computer with no problems.)

ok thanks everyone

Yes, but it will be wise to remove the GT 710 and use the HD4600 integrated graphics. All Kepler cards lost support in Monterey. If you use Macmini7,1 SMBIOS then the HD4600 will work as it's natively supported in that Mac mini model.

Read and follow this guide by Edhawk. You can and should use a newer OC version than 0.7.5. It's ok to start with that, get the OS installed and then upgrade OC later.

OpenCore is the way to go for Big Sur or newer macOS versions. Try installing Monterey to a clean SSD so that you can leave the Sierra install alone and keep it as a backup. You can migrate to the new drive with a time machine backup of the Sierra drive.
ok today i decided to give it a go and its driving me nuts. first i lost few hours trying to make usb and finally managed when i changed usb. after that, i followed this guide, set everything in bios, tried to boot from usb and i get "reboot and select proper boot device". then i opened clover configurator, mounted efi on a monterey installation usb and copied efi from this guide to efi on usb. when i try to boot from usb with f12 now i dont get this message but it just shows gigabyte logo and thats it. i dont know whats wrong and i dont know why is this so complicated, i installed sierra without any hickups but monterey is driving me nuts. any help please? thank you

update: i managed somehow to install it but for some reason it crashes setup assistant when i try to enter my ethernet info

Grandy, could you upload your current version of your EFI folder? Might be able to help... my "Mini-ITX 1" listed below runs OpenCore version 0.8.8. However it is also running High Sierra. The OpenCore Guide for Haswell CPUs/motherboards would still be the same, though. I'm somewhat familiar with Monterey because of my "Mini-ITX-2," which runs version 12.6.3 now... so maybe I could help if I could see your EFI folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back