Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-OC
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. iMac
Really stupid - I need to get back to the bios setup to change boot drive selection, and I now find that multiple DEL keys will allow me into bios setup but only for maybe 10 times. At some random point, it decides I can't go there any more and produces a large flashing cursor on the top left of the screen. Tomorrow sometime after resting all night, it might work, or it might not, who knows?

Power down for a minute or so doesn't seem to affect this behavior... it's as if there are only so many bios accesses available to you and then that's it, that's all. Reason I need so many accesses is that the disk selection in this bios is not easy since you can't really see the entire field so you have no idea which disk you're moving to the boot position. Another total stupidity but that's a rant for another day.

So what's the trick to get into bios every single time? I am stunned this is so difficult.

You can often use the boot menu key - Usually f12.
Where you choose the drive to boot from but there is usually the option to enter setup also.

You can often use the boot menu key - Usually f12.
Where you choose the drive to boot from but there is usually the option to enter setup also.
Thanks, but that choice only produces a black screen... it never opens the bios screens.
Really???

With older Gigabyte boards (Z68X) I also had issues with recognition of DEL or F12, especially when using original Apple keyboards and/or certain USB ports. But changing ports usually helped.
Not knowing if this could also have an effect, but have you considered changing the CMOS battery?

Really stupid - I need to get back to the bios setup to change boot drive selection, and I now find that multiple DEL keys will allow me into bios setup but only for maybe 10 times. At some random point, it decides I can't go there any more and produces a large flashing cursor on the top left of the screen. Tomorrow sometime after resting all night, it might work, or it might not, who knows?

Power down for a minute or so doesn't seem to affect this behavior... it's as if there are only so many bios accesses available to you and then that's it, that's all. Reason I need so many accesses is that the disk selection in this bios is not easy since you can't really see the entire field so you have no idea which disk you're moving to the boot position. Another total stupidity but that's a rant for another day.

So what's the trick to get into bios every single time? I am stunned this is so difficult.
You may try :

- remove any un-necessary devices (USBs, other dongles, HDD, WiFi, BT, etc)
- use a PS/2 keyboard ( if MB has a PS/2 port, no need for mouse )
- use a wired USB 2.0 keyboard (in a USB 2.0 port on the rear panel, no need for mouse )
- remove the battery and measure voltage ( CR 2032, 3 Volts )
- replace the battery if needed
- gentle touch of keys

With older Gigabyte boards (Z68X) I also had issues with recognition of DEL or F12, especially when using original Apple keyboards and/or certain USB ports. But changing ports usually helped.
Not knowing if this could also have an effect, but have you considered changing the CMOS battery?
I doubt that would have any effect; according to my notes and memory this issue has plagued me on and off since 6 years ago so it's some kind of common affliction on my setup I guess. Thankfully I was able to get into setup briefly enough to at least get boot drive set to close to what I want and I can just arrow over to the proper drive from there. It is annoying though.

Pressing the Del/Delete key, while the Gigabyte splash screen is showing, provides access to the Gigabyte BIOS.

Pressing the F12 key, while the Gigabyte splash screen is showing, will bring up the Bios Boot Menu, which also offers a option to enter the main Bios.

Screenshot below if from the user manual for the GA-X87X-HD3 motherboard.

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 19.42.52.png Function Keys for Gigabyte motherboard.

If you don't see the Start/Splash screen, then you have different issues to face. Pressing/spamming the F8 key when you power on the system, might bring up the Dual Bios options, so you can switch to a functioning Bios chip.

Alternative is to remove the CMOS battery for 5-minutes and see if that clears the bios and allows the system to boot. This will reset your bios, so you would need to change the bios to work with macOS, as shown below.
  1. Virtualization : Enabled
  2. VT-d : Disabled
  3. XHCI Hand-Off : Enabled
  4. Legacy USB Support: Auto/Enabled
  5. IO SerialPort : Disabled
  6. Network Stack : Disabled
  7. XMP Profile : Auto / Profile 1/Enabled
  8. UEFI Booting set to Enabled and set Priority over Legacy
  9. Secure Boot : Disabled
  10. Fast Boot : Disabled
  11. OS Type: Other OS
  12. Wake on LAN : Disabled