Graphics
AMD Radeon 7760m, 1GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm going with a Customac Pro build and while I've done Hackintosh builds before, I'm definitely more excited about having something that will fully work! I have a question though, I can never remember the exact right steps for dual booting Windows. I will have Windows on a separate SSD then Mountain Lion. What do I install first and what SATA ports should the SSD's be plugged into? I know that can make a difference with Windows installs.

My build:
Intel i7 3770K
Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH
16GB Corsair Vengeance
256GB Sandisk Extreme SSD
128GB Kingston HyperX SSD
nVidia GTX 670
LG Bluray

I'm going with a Customac Pro build and while I've done Hackintosh builds before, I'm definitely more excited about having something that will fully work! I have a question though, I can never remember the exact right steps for dual booting Windows. I will have Windows on a separate SSD then Mountain Lion. What do I install first and what SATA ports should the SSD's be plugged into? I know that can make a difference with Windows installs.

My build:
Intel i7 3770K
Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH
16GB Corsair Vengeance
nVidia GTX 670
LG Bluray

OS X drive should be connected to SATA Port 0 and the Windows drive to SATA Port 1.

My build:
Intel i7 3770K
Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH
16GB Corsair Vengeance
nVidia GTX 670
LG Bluray

For steps to dual boot install see http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

SATA ports - some boards work better installing if the drive is on port 0 - i.e. the first port the BIOS recognizes as the system boots up. Windows, especially, wants to be on this port and, if you have a different HDD connected there and the Windows drive on a different port, Windows installer will put its boot files on that drive.

I have found it easier to connect to the SATA x_0 (depending on the board nomenclature this might be 1_0 or 2_0) to install each OS. Then connect OS X to any port and Windows to the 0 port. This prevents Windows update installer from possibly messing up another drive on port 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back