1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Plus
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Z77X-UD5H Catalina Clover

Oddly, post installation I did have use of the upper Ethernet port. However, with no changes to the system it is unable to connect to my network suddenly. OSX System Preferences states Either the cable for Ethernet is not plugged in or the device at the other end is not responding.

I have trouble shooted cable, router, IP address, etc. I do not believe it is a network issue. And the network works with all other devices in the house.

Looking at the Hackintosh as culprit. The port has two lights. Upper is solid orange, lower is flashing green. OSX activity monitor shows activity on Packets in: Packets out: but I am just not connected to the internet. The lower Ethernet port does not light at all when patched in.

Ideas?

Thank you!

Your Gigabyte Z77-UD5H motherboard has these two Ethernet controllers:
  1. 1 x Atheros GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit) (LAN1)
  2. 1 x Intel GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit) (LAN2)
So I assume you are injecting AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext for LAN1 and IntelMausi.kext or IntelMausiEthernet.kext for LAN2.

How are you injecting the two Ethernet kexts? Where are the kexts located, in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder, in your /OC/Kexts folder or your /Library/Extensions folder?

Did you have the kexts in place when you installed Catalina, or did you add them after you installed the OS?

Have you tried mounting the Catalina drive in Read/Write mode and then deleted the three NetworkPreferences.plist related files from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder?

Screenshot 2021-10-10 at 21.37.15.png /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder

You would also need to delete the two Ethernet devices from the System Preferences > Network pane, so macOS recreates the plist(s) & Ethernet devices when you next boot the system?

Screenshot 2021-10-10 at 21.38.43.png System Preferences > Network Pane
  1. Use the '-' (minus) icon below the list of Network devices to remove all the devices.
  2. They should reappear when the system reboots.
  3. It they don't then you will need to manually recreate the devices, using the '+' (plus) icon and following wizard.

Thanks for the ideas. I will step through and report back.

I've found the Intel kext here on the site v1.0.7.
Can you direct me to latest version of the Atheros E2200 kext?
Is possible to drop them into my /Library/Extensions folder on the Catalina install/boot drive?
Otherwise I can install by running Multibeast - I see both kexts are included. Mausi v1.03, and Atheros v2.3.0.
Then delete devices from network, delete plists and reboot?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited:
Back in business after deleting the ethernet device in Catalina/SystemPreferences/Network. Injecting both kexts with Multibeast and rebooting. New Ethernet device was recognized and new plists written.
Thanks for setting me in the right direction!

Thanks! I can solved it with this method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back