Contribute
Register

Z77 motherboard died - worth replacing motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Gene V
CPU
i7-3770k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello Everyone,

My Asus P8Z77-M motherboard gave up the ghost a couple of days ago. It gave me five years with a mild overclock (i5-3570k running at 4.2GHz), so I can't really complain. Performance was more than acceptable running Sierra (10.12.6) using MS Office for Mac including Skype for Business and a Windows VM on Parallels for MS Visio. I only have/had two issues: graphics performance, especially in Visio, and no handoff/continuity. I can resolve these issues by installing a Sapphire RX580 and one of the supported Broadcom mPCIe cards. But what to do about the motherboard? Is it worth buying another Z77 through eBay, Craigslist, etc., or should I just replace the whole system? There isn't a budget, per se, but no need to spend money if I don't have to, right? And will Mojave support a Z77 chipset/Ivy Bridge processor system?

Hello Everyone,

My Asus P8Z77-M motherboard gave up the ghost a couple of days ago. It gave me five years with a mild overclock (i5-3570k running at 4.2GHz), so I can't really complain. Performance was more than acceptable running Sierra (10.12.6) using MS Office for Mac including Skype for Business and a Windows VM on Parallels for MS Visio. I only have/had two issues: graphics performance, especially in Visio, and no handoff/continuity. I can resolve these issues by installing a Sapphire RX580 and one of the supported Broadcom mPCIe cards. But what to do about the motherboard? Is it worth buying another Z77 through eBay, Craigslist, etc., or should I just replace the whole system? There isn't a budget, per se, but no need to spend money if I don't have to, right? And will Mojave support a Z77 chipset/Ivy Bridge processor system?

If you can find another Z77 motherboard, why not? It works for you before, and there is every reason to believe another similar motherboard will work.

Mojave will support Ivy Bridge as it supports the 2012 Mac mini which is based on Ivy Bridge hardware.

Thanks for the input. :) I found a good deal on a Asus Maximus Gene V and pulled the trigger. Now I need to figure out the mPCIe card, so I can get handoff and continuity working. There is a lot to absorb in those threads!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back