Contribute
Register

[Z77 Build] SkeletalMac MKII - Z77X-UD5H w/Nvidia 560ti 448

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you attempted to install OS X, yet? I haven't see any reference.

Gronko said:
Beautiful! :clap:

I'm going to replace my Asus P8Z68 V-Pro GEN3 with this motherboard I think :)

Give it some time, I wouldn't jump to fast onto this board if you have a working system. Right now no USB3 and possible SpeedStepping issues in future revisions of OSX. Not to mention No Audio.

schubbe226 said:
Yea, i was waiting for this bulid, love thus motherboard, so much usb3 and msata + firewire for my old ipod is really cool :))
Haven't tried the mSATA (don't see a reason it wouldn't work. EEEPC's used it with OSX in the past)
But the USB3 is not working as it's Intel (granted haven't tried LaCie drivers) but as of right now they are only USB2. Which is an improvement over Z68/NEC/RENASS which (if I remember right) had to have the LaCie drivers for it to even be recognized/USB2.

Stork said:
philz said:
The two NEC 2490WUXi2's that I have are amazing screens, very little anti-glare coating (which causes a sparkle effect), best of breed IPS panels, and true 1920x1200 resolution. You'll be amazed what 120 pixels can do! They are the best screens I've seen no questions asked, and they are from 2009! Newer isn't always better ;) and you can even pick them up sometimes off of NEC's refurb store for sub $450 each. That's a steal.
I agree 100% with your assessment of the quality of the NEC 2490WUXi2 monitor. I had one on my desk at work before I retired. (I justified it because of my bad eyes. The IT guys were jealous.) I now have a used Apple 23" ACD with the DVI connection (USB & FW hubs, too) and a HP ZR24W 24" IPS monitor which are OK. But, I miss my NEC 2490WUXi2. Think I'll see if I can find a good used one or two. Thanks for reminding me of the NECs. :thumbup:

I have the HP ZR24W, how does the NEC compares to it?

Well, the NEC is twice as much as the HP. I never got to compare them side by side. But, I'm impressed with the HP. Almost as good as my 23" ACD. However, the NEC is far superior. I wish I can afford one.

I recommend you try to find a place that has both monitors and compare them size by side. Probably tough to do today.

schubbe226 said:
Yea, i was waiting for this bulid, love thus motherboard, so much usb3 and msata + firewire for my old ipod is really cool :))
Haven't tried the mSATA (don't see a reason it wouldn't work. EEEPC's used it with OSX in the past)
But the USB3 is not working as it's Intel (granted haven't tried LaCie drivers) but as of right now they are only USB2. Which is an improvement over Z68/NEC/RENASS which (if I remember right) had to have the LaCie drivers for it to even be recognized/USB2.[/quote]

Does firewire work?

philz,

Great build and it looks good. Last week, I was shopping for some parts to build my first hackintosh. Wanted to use the recommended GA-Z68 platform. However, the store I went to did not carry those anymore. I had no choice but to get the new GA-Z77 on my i7 2700k processor, along with HD7750 GFX.

I've assembled it and got it running on Windows 7. Now, I'm trying to do a dual boot. I'm thinking of getting another hard disk for Mac OS. My question to you is, have you got your system to work on Snow Leopard/Lion? Also, any advice how to start it? I'm a newbie to hackintosh, this will be my first. I've read some postings on how to do it, just wondering if you have anything specifics for this build. I'm also quite interested on how you overclock it :)

schubbe226 said:
Does firewire work?
Most probably yes. Haven't actually plugged anything in but it does show up as supported, does on first boot come up with GUID too. It does do:
Code:
4/17/12 8:01:36.000 AM kernel: FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!
But that's normal even on a Z68 board, and only after sleep in the console

adriantan1982 said:
philz,
I've assembled it and got it running on Windows 7. Now, I'm trying to do a dual boot. I'm thinking of getting another hard disk for Mac OS. My question to you is, have you got your system to work on Snow Leopard/Lion? Also, any advice how to start it? I'm a newbie to hackintosh, this will be my first. I've read some postings on how to do it, just wondering if you have anything specifics for this build. I'm also quite interested on how you overclock it :)

You biggest thing off the bat is the 7750 is not supported. Also if I were to use OSX daily I'd get it's own drive, dual booting is a headache. Without knowing what board you have no idea where to tell you to start. I do plan on posting how I've done it but not yet, waiting for certain fixes to materialize.

Right now over clocking is not working with the latest BIOS for my UD5H, did on F4 (ish), but now on F5 that I needed to boot from PEG it ignores all turbo settings. Plus I think the TIM I found was ancient... Temps are all out of whack so waiting on some X23 and a new set of Arcticlean (lost my #1 bottle somehow. No idea)

I'm assuming the fan controller came with the case? How much fan control does 3D Bios give us? I personally am looking for the ability to very precisely control my front and top fans independently.

MicMak said:
I'm assuming the fan controller came with the case? How much fan control does 3D Bios give us? I personally am looking for the ability to very precisely control my front and top fans independently.

It didn't come with the case, it's a Scythe fan controller. Does temp monitoring and you can set it to act accordingly or manual (I have it on manual, I really never look at the fan controller. I just crank the top exhaust when doing any video encoding/benchmarks, etc. Otherwise it's a pretty silent machine).

The gigabyte board itself has four system fans that you can control in a few ways, download the manual and check it out. Better than a lot of boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back