Contribute
Register

Z68X-UD3H-B3 latest DSDT - wake issues (Partial Solution)

Status
Not open for further replies.
nommex said:
http://www.osx86.net/view/2463-gigabyte_z68x-ud3h-b3_pack.html
How did you use it? What did you do? What did it fix? What did it break?

ChimpanZed said:
nommex said:
http://www.osx86.net/view/2463-gigabyte_z68x-ud3h-b3_pack.html
How did you use it? What did you do? What did it fix? What did it break?
  1. make a superduper backup[/*:m:2hx1lksw]
  2. install the pack[/*:m:2hx1lksw]
  3. see what happens[/*:m:2hx1lksw]
  4. tell us all[/*:m:2hx1lksw]
Thank you in advance for your efforts ;)

one thing i know. with this pack i can finally enjoy Integrated HD 3000
with full resolution!! :)

also everything working great after waking up...

Sleep mode not working after updating to UEFI Bios (z68x UD3H B3)rev1.3
we definitely need for new DSDT solution..

i tried to compile new DSDT from here (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=35559)
but the motherboard's specific patch from the list is not working for UEFI Bios, gives errors and making Kernel Panic.

p.s
getting lower geek bench score without DSDT (easy beast)
Decreased from 12,000 to 11,600

viewtopic.php?f=277&t=62760

I have come back to this thread rather than start a new one regarding the wake from sleep issues on the Z68X-UD3H-B3 that only some of us are experiencing. To bring everyone up to speed I have now had three of these boards, the first one as documented in this thread, another one which ran windows on a different machine (I tested it with a Hackintoshed hard drive and it worked better than the one this thread is about) and another one hackintoshed which has just gone back to Gigabyte as the ethernet has failed on it.

The reason for this post is to tell you about the one that the ethernet failed on - it was a Rev 1.3 Bios F12, i7-2600k no overclock. It suffered the same USB issues after wake from sleep as the first board (it was the replacement for it).

Last week ethernet failed, no longer detected by windows or os x. The interesting side-effect was that - the USB keyboard and mouse issues after wake from sleep DISAPPEARED - I had instant use of mouse and keyboard after sleep.

So this raises questions in my mind. I had found previously that changing ethernet drivers had some effect and this was confirmed by others who had the issue. However many reported no issues using the Lnx2mac kext while others had better luck with the official Realtek kext. What I now wonder is whether the underlying issue was actually the onboard hardware itself and some boards working better than others. I remember now that some recommended not using onboard ethernet as they had no issues when using an additional ethernet card pci/pcie.

So, no solutions only questions but I think if I get the board back from Gigabyte with the ethernet fixed I will test it and if it is still the same I will not use it but get an additional card. I am not suggesting everyone does this but it may be the way forward for those whose boards exhibit these issues.

I am aware that others have reported success and no issues with USB after wake from sleep with the specific pack for this board from OSX86.net but I do not know if they had previously experienced this issue. While I have no empirical data I do believe that only a subset of these boards have these issues.

I have come back to this thread rather than start a new one regarding the wake from sleep issues on the Z68X-UD3H-B3 that only some of us are experiencing. To bring everyone up to speed I have now had three of these boards, the first one as documented in this thread, another one which ran windows on a different machine (I tested it with a Hackintoshed hard drive and it worked better than the one this thread is about) and another one hackintoshed which has just gone back to Gigabyte as the ethernet has failed on it.

The reason for this post is to tell you about the one that the ethernet failed on - it was a Rev 1.3 Bios F12, i7-2600k no overclock. It suffered the same USB issues after wake from sleep as the first board (it was the replacement for it).

Last week ethernet failed, no longer detected by windows or os x. The interesting side-effect was that - the USB keyboard and mouse issues after wake from sleep DISAPPEARED - I had instant use of mouse and keyboard after sleep.

So this raises questions in my mind. I had found previously that changing ethernet drivers had some effect and this was confirmed by others who had the issue. However many reported no issues using the Lnx2mac kext while others had better luck with the official Realtek kext. What I now wonder is whether the underlying issue was actually the onboard hardware itself and some boards working better than others. I remember now that some recommended not using onboard ethernet as they had no issues when using an additional ethernet card pci/pcie.

So, no solutions only questions but I think if I get the board back from Gigabyte with the ethernet fixed I will test it and if it is still the same I will not use it but get an additional card. I am not suggesting everyone does this but it may be the way forward for those whose boards exhibit these issues.

I am aware that others have reported success and no issues with USB after wake from sleep with the specific pack for this board from OSX86.net but I do not know if they had previously experienced this issue. While I have no empirical data I do believe that only a subset of these boards have these issues.

I do have this issue with my AAK and mouse and my rev 1.3 board and 10.7.4/10.8. I have my internal ethernet disabled. I use a genuine apple airport extreem card mounted to a PCIe carrier for my network access.

The USB issue annoying but manageble. I either have to a.) wake from the power button, or b.) unplug/replug the keyboard. I have not had any other issues with devices not waking such as my eyetv hybrid or joystick. I do not use any usb drives and i have the USB 3.0 marvel controller disabled in bios. I am using the UEFI (u1h) bios and do not have a dsdt.

What I have noticed with System Profiler that looks strange is that the USB chain on the port the AAK is conneted to shows:
USB High-Speed Bus > Hub > Keyboard Hub > Apple Keyboard (one more hub in there than I expect to see).

The AAK is a USB 2.0 device with a built in hub. If I use a USB 1.0 keyboard without hub and mouse connected into a separate port, the wake from sleep issue goes away.

After the amount of testing I have done on this I am pretty sure it is something to do with only a subset of the Z68X-UD3H-B3 boards. Many, including Stork whose Zorro build I have replicated to test, do not experience issues after wake from sleep.

I have also tested with an Apple keyboard from some of our old G4's which are USB 1.0 but in my case the issue remained.

Like you simply having ethernet turned off did not remedy the issue. However after the ethernet failed all the USB KB and mouse after wake issues disappeared.

A note of interest.
I have seen issues like this before, where only a subset of boards experienced an issue and then only with a particular version of an OS. I worked for a major PC manufacturer and we had an issue where a lot of machines would not connect to their corporate network successfully. It only happened with some machines all running the same revision level of an OS and other machines produced in the same factory on the same day, sometimes with consecutive serial numbers, running the same revision level had no problems. We did eventually track the cause - it turned out that a tiny component on the board of the failing machines came from a single manufacturing plant. (All the components were built to a single design but different manufacturing plants made them for us). On sending some engineers to the plant we discovered a small difference in the process they were using (still complying with the original design specs). This is what caused some machines to fail and not others. Once the component was changed to one with the standard process the issue was resolved.

I am not saying we necessarily have a similar issue only pointing out that it is possible. In our case as OS X is not officially supported on our board we do not have recourse to go through official channels to investigate.

After the amount of testing I have done on this I am pretty sure it is something to do with only a subset of the Z68X-UD3H-B3 boards. Many, including Stork whose Zorro build I have replicated to test, do not experience issues after wake from sleep.

I have also tested with an Apple keyboard from some of our old G4's which are USB 1.0 but in my case the issue remained.

Like you simply having ethernet turned off did not remedy the issue. However after the ethernet failed all the USB KB and mouse after wake issues disappeared.

A note of interest.
I have seen issues like this before, where only a subset of boards experienced an issue and then only with a particular version of an OS. I worked for a major PC manufacturer and we had an issue where a lot of machines would not connect to their corporate network successfully. It only happened with some machines all running the same revision level of an OS and other machines produced in the same factory on the same day, sometimes with consecutive serial numbers, running the same revision level had no problems. We did eventually track the cause - it turned out that a tiny component on the board of the failing machines came from a single manufacturing plant. (All the components were built to a single design but different manufacturing plants made them for us). On sending some engineers to the plant we discovered a small difference in the process they were using (still complying with the original design specs). This is what caused some machines to fail and not others. Once the component was changed to one with the standard process the issue was resolved.

I am not saying we necessarily have a similar issue only pointing out that it is possible. In our case as OS X is not officially supported on our board we do not have recourse to go through official channels to investigate.

Becuase the hardware works as expected when booted into Windows 7 that has me thinking this is more a BIOS/hw initialization issue...but who knows. I almost returned the board for a z77 UD5 but rembered I got it on sale for $75 so I'm just going to live with it !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back