Contribute
Register

Z68AP-D3/N560GTX-Ti twin frozr II/i7-2600K/stucked in my build - no sound - no access to apple store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z68AP-D3
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
N560GTX-Ti twin frozr II
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello

First, thanks a lot for this very helpful website and forums. This is my first build and it has been very helpful.

BUT....I'm not totally there yet !

Here is my build :

motherboard Z68AP-D3
Processor Intel i7-2600K
Graphic card MSI N560GTX-Ti twin frozr II
ram 8gig during the install and I will had 8gig more after
Power cooler master silent pro 1000w
case cooler master HAF 932

Intended use : video editing / 3D animation

So far, I managed to install SL from the dvd bought at the apple store with iBoot, and then upgraded to 10.6.8 after MANY times trying (I had to actually run multibeast before upgrading, and then re-run it + remove ACPI_SMC_PlatformPluginFamily.kext - without doing so my machine was unexpectedly bugging in the middle of the 10.6.8 update and then impossible to get anything back at the reboot).

I'm now unable to have any sound, and the system is super slow....It also seems that booting without iBoot takes a bit more time than without.
I am strangely able to access the internet though I did not enter my internet password, but opening a page with too many images makes it bug and I have to shut down safari. I was thinking that maybe upgrading to lion would help, but even if I have the icon of the apple store and it loads, when I enter my id and password, it does an error and that's all....

I'm quite lost and I'm new to the mac world with few windows/linux geeks around me but no mac geeks :)

Note : it seems that the graphic card gets reconnized as I got the fancy osx animation when installing....but the fact it can't support web pages is strange...again I'm a baby geek so maybe this is not the problem.

Any help or advice will be super greatly appreciated. Thanks !

Can you boot to desktop without the iBoot CD?

What happens if you try to play a DVD movie?

Can you play a game of chess? Not a whole game, just 3 or 4 moves so the pieces move. What happens when you try?

In MultiBeast under the drivers->graphics options is one for Fermi cards. Did you install the Fermi drivers?

I just tried to read a dvd, it recognizes it and the dvd player icon moves but then it quits unexpectatly. The chess game is working OK on super low resolution.The whole resolution is stucked at 1024x768, which is clearly not normal.

Also, I'm getting the "Nvidia rom patching failed" error during the boot just before the logo screen, I found some infos on this but couldn't make sense of it in my case.

I read on the forums this afternoon that 5xxgtx cards don't really work on snow leopard but only on mountain lion, is that really the case ?

Thanks a lot for answering and trying to help out !!!

I just tried to read a dvd, it recognizes it and the dvd player icon moves but then it quits unexpectatly. The chess game is working OK on super low resolution.The whole resolution is stucked at 1024x768, which is clearly not normal.

Also, I'm getting the "Nvidia rom patching failed" error during the boot just before the logo screen, I found some infos on this but couldn't make sense of it in my case.

I read on the forums this afternoon that 5xxgtx cards don't really work on snow leopard but only on mountain lion, is that really the case ?

Thanks a lot for answering and trying to help out !!!

maplo

Yes it appears the the nvidia Fermi 5XX cards have issues - w OSX SL 10.6.8

I believe that the last version of the nVidia cards for SL were the nVidia 2XX series

So if you have an older video card you can use one of them and if your not bound buy the software you want to use On the OSX OS then you can upgrade to OSX Mountion Lion, and use the 560.

Updated 1,1,2013

Suggest you look at these to links - it appears that if you can find you device ID for the GFX card and can export the Video Rom their is a way to use that video rom file to be use to help with the problems. The poster had a Evga card and used this process.

Suggestions on extracting a EVA 560 video bios and using the nvideo rom in org.chemelon.Boot.plist
w <key>UseNvidiaROM</key>,<string>Yes</string> -trick is to find your video card DEVIDE ID.
http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=68377&sid=4acc153b7923910e9c62accfef520fc2

For device ID - suggest this link
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/38906-where-to-find-vendorid-and-deviceid-in-osx/

Hello all and thanks for your very helpful replies !!

I actually skipped the snow leopard install as it was too much pain in the a## to make it work with a non compatible graphic card.

I got mountain lion from a friend (cause..impossible to access the apple store, I really intended to buy from apple here but apple did not let me ! And I bought snow leopard for absolutely no reason - but that's something else:) - so I got mountain lion and created a usb drive with my hack and all is running smooth (well, almost....will have other threads somewhere else soon I guess....).

Thanks to all of you for the help, I felt alone for so long before !!!

And happy new year !

Hello all and thanks for your very helpful replies !!

I actually skipped the snow leopard install as it was too much pain in the a## to make it work with a non compatible graphic card.

I got mountain lion from a friend (cause..impossible to access the apple store, I really intended to buy from apple here but apple did not let me ! And I bought snow leopard for absolutely no reason - but that's something else:) - so I got mountain lion and created a usb drive with my hack and all is running smooth (well, almost....will have other threads somewhere else soon I guess....).

Thanks to all of you for the help, I felt alone for so long before !!!

And happy new year !

maplo

Well you got it done - and that was what you wanted...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back