Graphics
GeF210
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
System is= Z68A-DH3-B3, i2500k, EVGA 8400GS, Hitachi travelstar blank drive, Antec 430Wt PSU, Corsair Vengeance Low Profile While (2x4GB) CML8GX3M2A1600C9W 1.35V Memory, Using DVI outputs to a digital monitor with DVI (Samsung). BIOS settings adjusted per various guides on this site. Tried every SATA port, no difference. Sata is properly set in BIOS. BIOS version is latest F11. rBoot works, press F5 and see the install disc, but seemingly no matter what you do after that (boot flags or not) the system reboots as the apple screen comes up on the Snow Leo 10.6.3 DVD (no OSX, before anything had a chance to install, before passwords, etc). Just a millisecond of the apple splash screen, a reboot, and then no bootloader to load the OSX DVD.

Using the Tonymacx86 method, genuine latest 10.6.3 DVD. Tried "-x". same. Tried with bios set to "Quick Boot Disabled", slower, but the same result. Tried all the "VGA" options. Tried with onboard graphics only, no video card installed...Didn't help, but I DID notice that the reboot happens just as the grey apple/white background screen comes up. Once it reboots, no bootloader, no OS, just hanging with the "Loading Operating System................." and flashing cursor.

Thinking the problem is either BIOS related or, perhaps something in the 10.6.3 disc (just got it this week) that causes a reboot.

Is rebooting normal? It seems to do that on real macs, but how do you boot the OSX disc on a hack without a bootloader? Every time I try, it reboots, and the system won't boot the OSX disc without a bootloader. It's a pretty nasty catch-22. :banghead:

Anyone have any BIOS setting suggestions for the Z68A-DH3-B3 F11 board?
Should I seek out a 10.6.0 DVD?

I did try copying my MBP disc, running multibeast on that, and using it to boot the system. That does boot, but the card needs a kext patch, and so many programs either won't run (iTunes, etc) or crash (disc utility, for one) the system.

Thanks for your help and interest!

booting with -x has exactly the same results. I can't read all the test before it reboots using -v. I suppose I could run it a few times, and try to take pix, but everything happens in a split second, then reboot.

Here are 5 different pics of k panic, using various boot flags, two different OSX 10.6 install disc. Also, ran memtest, pass, no errors. Starting to think the motherboard may be screwy.

Anyone recognize the panic codes?

Attachments

• panic5.jpg
    panic5.jpg
    876.3 KB · Views: 137
  • panic4.jpg
    panic4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 145
  • panic3.jpg
    panic3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 111
  • panic2.jpg
    panic2.jpg
    905.7 KB · Views: 142
  • panic1.jpg
    panic1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 145
Catahula said:
System is= Z68A-DH3-B3, i2500k, EVGA 8400GS, Hitachi travelstar blank drive, Antec 430Wt PSU, Corsair Vengeance Low Profile While (2x4GB) CML8GX3M2A1600C9W 1.35V Memory, Using DVI outputs to a digital monitor with DVI (Samsung). BIOS settings adjusted per various guides on this site. Tried every SATA port, no difference. Sata is properly set in BIOS. BIOS version is latest F11. rBoot works, press F5 and see the install disc, but seemingly no matter what you do after that (boot flags or not) the system reboots as the apple screen comes up on the Snow Leo 10.6.3 DVD (no OSX, before anything had a chance to install, before passwords, etc). Just a millisecond of the apple splash screen, a reboot, and then no bootloader to load the OSX DVD.

Using the Tonymacx86 method, genuine latest 10.6.3 DVD. Tried "-x". same. Tried with bios set to "Quick Boot Disabled", slower, but the same result. Tried all the "VGA" options. Tried with onboard graphics only, no video card installed...Didn't help, but I DID notice that the reboot happens just as the grey apple/white background screen comes up. Once it reboots, no bootloader, no OS, just hanging with the "Loading Operating System................." and flashing cursor.

Thinking the problem is either BIOS related or, perhaps something in the 10.6.3 disc (just got it this week) that causes a reboot.

Is rebooting normal? It seems to do that on real macs, but how do you boot the OSX disc on a hack without a bootloader? Every time I try, it reboots, and the system won't boot the OSX disc without a bootloader. It's a pretty nasty catch-22. :banghead:

Anyone have any BIOS setting suggestions for the Z68A-DH3-B3 F11 board?
Should I seek out a 10.6.0 DVD?

I did try copying my MBP disc, running multibeast on that, and using it to boot the system. That does boot, but the card needs a kext patch, and so many programs either won't run (iTunes, etc) or crash (disc utility, for one) the system.

Thanks for your help and interest!

Are you using iBoot or rBoot in order to boot the Snow Leopard DVD?

rBoot works.

Looking for clues in the screen shots to why it KPs before loading OSX.

Catahula said:
rBoot works.

Looking for clues in the screen shots to why it KPs before loading OSX.

Why don't you use iBoot? I think iBoot is the recommended way of booting the Snow Leopard DVD.

From what I can see your hardware should be compatible. You are using the same motherboard as I am.

Either iBoot or rBoot will work. They are both just bootloaders to get you to the point where you can launch the OS disk. That's not the problem. The problem is, the OSX software won't load or boot, and when you try, it ends in a Panic.

I'd like to know why the KP is happening. Typically, the KP is something hardware related. Memory tests good, Graphics card is listed as working with OSX, but no load. Seems like it could be a mobo problem, as I seem to be doing exactly what everyone else is doing with no luck. Oh, and I did try another hdd and loaded Linux on that, with a live CD. The linux works pretty well, and I might consider going with that. However, there were a few things (audio artifacts when you move the mouse, lack of boot beep through speaker when you update the memory to "profile1") that are leading me to believe the MOBO is funky, as they do the same thing in Linux as they do when I use a HD from a real intel mac to run (works somewhat, lots of crashing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back