Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

Ok.. So I jumped the gun... sold my Z270 7700k and got the Gigabyte Z590 Vision D with 10850K since this is more price worthy. Man this mobo has lots of issues.. BIOS is completely screwed. @dehjomz are you experiencing really weird stuff when dual-booting Windows and macOS? I get intermittently weird TB issues and my network 1225v cards would be missing at times. Sound crackling when installing software..

My systems are:

1. Gigabyte Z390 Designare - 9900k - My Golden build.. thanks to @CaseySJ only macOS for music production.
2. Gigabyte B550 Vision D - 5950X - Gaming with 6800XT - issues with TB and UAD - Windows and macOS - mostly Windows for Gaming :)
3. ASRock Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 - 5950X - All-around-day-to-day comp - Stable Windows and macOS - also music production.
4. Gigabyte Z590 Vision D - 10850k - This new build - = headache!

Ok.. So I jumped the gun... sold my Z270 7700k and got the Gigabyte Z590 Vision D with 10850K since this is more price worthy. Man this mobo has lots of issues.. BIOS is completely screwed. @dehjomz are you experiencing really weird stuff when dual-booting Windows and macOS? I get intermittently weird TB issues and my network 1225v cards would be missing at times. Sound crackling when installing software..

My systems are:

1. Gigabyte Z390 Designare - 9900k - My Golden build.. thanks to @CaseySJ only macOS for music production.
2. Gigabyte B550 Vision D - 5950X - Gaming with 6800XT - issues with TB and UAD - Windows and macOS - mostly Windows for Gaming :)
3. Asrock Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 - 5950X - All-around-day-to-day comp - Stable Windows and macOS - also music production.
4. Gigabyte Z590 Vision D - 10850k - This new build - = headache!
I would personally choose the MSI Z590 MEG ACE over the Gigabyte Z590 Vision D. I believe @dehjomz hacked this board successfully, even getting Thunderbolt hot plug.

@dehjomz, you returned it for some reason. In hindsight, was that the right thing to do?

product_1611307278fef6f2843796d8635e9e7698cb985c07.png
product_1611307276d0d8de4418c6586d59fe78bbed6391b7.png

I would personally choose the MSI Z590 MEG ACE over the Gigabyte Z590 Vision D. I believe @dehjomz hacked this board successfully, even getting Thunderbolt hot plug.

@dehjomz, you returned it for some reason. In hindsight, was that the right thing to do?

View attachment 518405View attachment 518404
Yeah, I made my peace in parting with this board. My first custom build ever was a MSI Z170 Gaming M7 board with a 6700K, still running strong in a cooler master HAF 932 case. A tank. Tons of space for storage, at least 5 3.5 inch drive bays and 6 5.25 inch drive bays. I still have an internal Pioneer Blu-ray drive installed, remember those things? No room for them in modern cases like the Lian Li 011 Dynamic or even the Corsair 5000D. The 932 HAF came with some big powerful fans (I believe 220mm) that are quiet and move a ton of air. They don't make cases like that anymore. Given the performance of my Z170, I've always had a soft spot for MSI.

But MSI didn't have a Z490 motherboard with Thunderbolt in the price range of the Vision D, so I moved on to the Z490 Vision D.

The Z590 Ace's release BIOS was buggy and laggy. There was noticeable delay in pressing a keystroke and it registering in the GUI. Perhaps a future BIOS fixed the issues I experienced. There were two major problems.

First, it wouldn't hold a simple 5.0 GHz overclock, and kept down clocking the 11700K back to 4.6 GHz under load. Unacceptable, since the Z490/Z590 Vision D didn't do that.

The second major problem with the Ace was the amount of power it consumed under load. I tested a 10700K in both the Z490 Vision D and zZ590 Ace. At the same frequency and voltage (1.335 volts), the Ace consumed 70 more watts of power. I tried tuning the llc and so on and didn't matter. Very inefficient. So for $500, I had to move on. It's possible that a more recent BIOS fixed these issues, but I can't say.

All I can say with the Z590 Vision D is that F5D is quite quirky as @xtreem.p has mentioned. But Ggigabyte is still working on some unreleased BIOSs that are more stable, including one that finally enables kernel DMA protection (in Windows) for Thunderbolt. Hopefully they post them soon.

F5 on the Z490 was very stable. But quality control at Gigabyte took a nosedive in December 2020, at least with respect to the f20 beta BIOSs. And the same seems to have bled over into Z590. Quite sad to see actually, given how rock solid f5 was. The TweakTown forums are filled with users that have a litany of complaints about various 2021 Gigabyte BIOSs, both on Intel and AMD.

I've always heard that early adopters have to struggle through growing pains, but I didn't expect this, given that Z490 and Z590 have the same socket... and Z490 was a pretty good experience, at least up until the f20 beta BIOSs. The release f20 BIOS is fine though.

Last edited:
@dehjomz,

Wonderful summary, as always.

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 2.32.29 PM.png

@CODYQX4,

On the Z390 Designare the latest BIOS Update (F9j) kills USB 2.x/3.x on the two rear panel Thunderbolt USB-C ports. This is why we remain on BIOS F9g and F9i.

On the Z590 Vision D it is possible that the same bug exists. It may be best to wait for a BIOS update or try a TweakTown beta BIOS if one is available.
I was thinking the same, given the BIOS on Z390 that adds Resizable BAR messes up SSP1/2, but yet others have Z590/Z590i Vision D boards and are at least getting RP05 to load in IOReg. F5d on Z590 Vision D has the Resizable BAR option.
I just changed the name field in the DROM. Just cosmetics, nothing significant. Yeah, having a golden Z590 Vision D build would be ideal. The board is beautiful! And I agree, I hope GPU prices come back down to earth soon… a 6800XT would be ideal. Especially if you can vertically mount it.

What BIOS settings do you have enabled for thunderbolt?

I’m wondering if not having an internal GPU installed changes how the pci configuration is presented to macOS? A while back, I tried an eGPU and the PCIe configuration was all out of whack. I couldn’t boot macOS with the Thunderbolt hot-plug enabled, And the IORegistry looked completely different with the eGPU vs no eGPU.

I am not certain if the Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDT is needed for Thunderbolt and/or USB-c to work. @CaseySJ might know. Have you had any success with macOS detecting a USB-c device in either of the Thunderbolt ports?
We'll find out tomorrow if a GPU changes anything. macOS wil detect an iPhone over USB-C on either Thunderbolt port, but that's USB 2 and gets loaded into the main USB controller, not the Thunderbolt USB controller.

My Thunderbolt BIOS settings are as follows:

Main Thunderbolt Page:
Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Support: Enabled
Wake From Thunderbolt(TM) Devices: Disabled
Current Security Level: Unknown Status (Greyed Out)
Native OS security for TBT: Disabled (I've tried both Enabled/Disabled, left it Disabled)

Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Configuration:
Thunderbolt Usb Support: Enabled (I've tried both Enabled/Disabled, left it Enabled)
Thunderbolt Boot Support: Enabled
Titan Ridge Workaround for OSUP: Disabled
Tbt Dynamic AC/DC L1: Disabled
GPIO3 Force Pwr: Enabled
Wait time in ms after applying Force Pwr: 200
GPIO filter: Enabled

DTBT Controller 0 Configuration:
DTBT Controller 0: Enabled
Extra Bus Reserved: 106
Reserved Memory: 256
Memory Alignment: 24
Reserved PMemory: 128
PMemory Alignment: 24
Reserved I/O: 0

Last edited:
I was thinking the same, given the BIOS on Z390 that adds Resizable BAR mess up SSP1/2, but yet others have Z590/Z590i Vision D boards and are at least getting RP05 to load in IOReg. F5d on Z590 Vision D has the Resizable BAR option

We'll find out tomorrow if a GPU changes anything. My Thunderbolt BIOS settings are as follows:

Main Thunderbolt Page:
Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Support: Enabled
Wake From Thunderbolt(TM) Devices: Disabled
Current Security Level: Unknown Status (Greyed Out)
Native OS security for TBT: Disabled (I've tried both Enabled/Disabled, left it Disabled)

Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Configuration:
Thunderbolt Usb Support: Enabled (I've tried both Enabled/Disabled, left it Enabled)
Thunderbolt Boot Support: Enabled
Titan Ridge Workaround for OSUP: Disabled
Tbt Dynamic AC/DC L1: Disabled
GPIO3 Force Pwr: Enabled
Wait time in ms after applying Force Pwr: 200
GPIO filter: Enabled

DTBT Controller 0 Configuration:
DTBT Controller 0: Enabled
Extra Bus Reserved: 106
Reserved Memory: 256
Memory Alignment: 24
Reserved PMemory: 128
PMemory Alignment: 24
Reserved I/O: 0
Try enabling wake from Thunderbolt devices and native OS security, and disable Thunderbolt USB. support. According to gigabyte 'thunderbolt USB support' is buggy and is for the preboot environment.

Thanks for the write-up @dehjomz. For the love of god... this mobo is just horrid!
Im returning this POS.
Will you be replacing the Gigabyte Z590 Vision D with something else?

The idea was replacing the Z270 7700K which was my "play" puter where I test Linux distros and stuff. It was mostly the idea to upgrade the 4 core 8 thread to a 10 core 20 thread CPU. Instead of getting some other simple motherboard for the CPU, I thought why not one of the new ones with TB :) At this point, I don't know what ill do. Maybe I'll just enjoy what i have ... already plenty for me to play with.

Just for documenting,

1620863195564.png

And just for fun... I've been Hackintoshing for 11 years!

Last edited:
Back