Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

So did you guys get Thunderbolt hot plug working in macOS on the z590i vision d? Or is it just USB devices that are hot-plugging?

I find that with the hot plug SSDT (modified to remove HRUS) applied, while hot-plugging isn’t working in macOS on the Z590 Vision D, if I plug a Thunderbolt device that isn’t recognized by macOS, if I subsequently suspend the Vision D into s3 sleep and then resume from sleep, devices are then recognized by macOS and operate normally.

Seems that the Vision D’s resume from s3 sleep procedure executes certain ACPI code that probes the Thunderbolt bus, issues a notification to the Kernel, and newly connected devices are then initialized and operate normally.

Last edited:
I'd like to at least get SSP1/SSP2 displaying on Z590 (full not "i") Vision D. I've got a lot working but neither SSDT works for me.

I don't even see NHI0, HRUS, or RP05. What should be RP05 says pci-bridge@1C,4, whether I use @SchmockLord19 or @CaseySJ SSDT, or no SSDT at all.

I'd like to at least get SSP1/SSP2 displaying on Z590 (full not "i") Vision D. I've got a lot working but neither SSDT works for me.

I don't even see NHI0, HRUS, or RP05. What should be RP05 says pci-bridge@1C,4, whether I use @SchmockLord19 or @CaseySJ SSDT, or no SSDT at all.
Please post the following files:
  • Screenshot of RP05 section with Thunderbolt SSDT enabled (either one)
  • Screenshot of RP05 section with all Thunderbolt SSDTs disabled
  • MaciASL —> File —> Export Tableset…

Please post the following files:
  • Screenshot of RP05 section with Thunderbolt SSDT enabled (either one)
  • Screenshot of RP05 section with all Thunderbolt SSDTs disabled
  • MaciASL —> File —> Export Tableset…
Here you go. I used the SSDT with HRUS turned off that you posted here for the on screenshot.

Attachments

• Z590 Vision D TB3HP-OFF.png
    Z590 Vision D TB3HP-OFF.png
    657.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Z590 Vision D TB3HP-ON.png
    Z590 Vision D TB3HP-ON.png
    594 KB · Views: 67
  • Z590 Vision D.acpi
    487.8 KB · Views: 40
Here you go. I used the SSDT with HRUS turned off that you posted here for the on screenshot.
What BIOS do you have installed.

I am running F5d
Oh ok. Cool. that’s the latest publicly available one.

I have the same motherboard as you, and I used the Asus Z590 Hero 13 tbt hotplug ssdt from https://hackindrom.zapto.org/ (except I modified the DROM slightly). It’s loading, and I’m getting NHI0 at RP05. Are you using an eGPU?

I should note that Thunderbolt hot-plugging doesn’t appear to be working properly on this board in macOS at the moment. Although, hot-plugging does work in Windows/Linux for some Thunderbolt devices. This suggests that maybe the hot-plug SSDT might be able to be further modified for the Z590 Vision D to also have hot-plugging in macOS.

And there’s a bug in the Maple Rdge nvm26/26.5 with respect to detecting certain older Thundebolt 3 devices. Intel has released a newer Maple Ridge nvm, but Gigabyte is still testing this, as well as testing some unreleased BIOS.

Oh ok. Cool. that’s the latest publicly available one.

I have the same motherboard as you, and I used the Asus Z590 Hero 13 tbt hotplug ssdt from https://hackindrom.zapto.org/ (except I modified the DROM slightly). It’s loading, and I’m getting NHI0 at RP05. Are you using an eGPU?

I should note that Thunderbolt hot-plugging doesn’t appear to be working properly on this board in macOS at the moment. Although, hot-plugging does work in Windows/Linux for some Thunderbolt devices. This suggests that maybe the hot-plug SSDT might be able to be further modified for the Z590 Vision D to also have hot-plugging in macOS.

And there’s a bug in the Maple Rdge nvm26/26.5 with respect to detecting certain older Thundebolt 3 devices. Intel has released a newer Maple Ridge nvm, but Gigabyte is still testing this, as well as testing some unreleased BIOS.
I tried that without modifying the DROM and didn't see any difference. What did you change there?

I'm not using an eGPU. In fact, I have no GPU at all. I have an old Nvidia GT 710 coming tomorrow that should allow me to use my build with graphics acceleration. Currently, the iGPU is able to display video, no driver (probably never will be), and is a sluggish mess, but functional to test and improve the rest of the build. I plan to put an 6800 XT in if I can ever get my hands on one at a sane price.

I don't have anything Thundebolt plugged in currently, hot-plug or not. I have a Thundebolt monitor (LG UltraFine 5K 2019 edition) that is currently on my Z390 build that I plan to use. Getting Thunderbolt and/or the USB 3 ports on the Thundebolt ports would be one step closer to a (as close to as possible) golden Z590 Vision D build.

I tried that without modifying the DROM and didn't see any difference. What did you change there?

I'm not using an eGPU. In fact, I have no GPU at all. I have an old Nvidia GT 710 coming tomorrow that should allow me to use my build with graphics acceleration. Currently, the iGPU is able to display video, no driver (probably never will be), and is a sluggish mess, but functional to test and improve the rest of the build. I plan to put an 6800 XT in if I can ever get my hands on one at a sane price.

I don't have anything thunderbolt plugged in currently, hotplug or not. I have a thunderbolt monitor (LG UltraFine 5K 2019 edition) that is currently on my Z390 build that I plan to use. Getting Thunderbolt and/or the USB 3 ports on the thunderbolt ports would be one step closer to a (as close to as possible) golden Z590 Vision D build.
I just changed the name field in the DROM. Just cosmetics, nothing significant. Yeah, having a golden Z590 Vision D build would be ideal. The board is beautiful! And I agree, I hope GPU prices come back down to earth soon… a 6800XT would be ideal. Especially if you can vertically mount it.

What BIOS settings do you have enabled for thunderbolt?

I’m wondering if not having an internal GPU installed changes how the pci configuration is presented to macOS? A while back, I tried an eGPU and the PCIe configuration was all out of whack. I couldn’t boot macOS with the Thunderbolt hot-plug enabled, And the IORegistry looked completely different with the eGPU vs no eGPU.

I am not certain if the Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDT is needed for Thunderbolt and/or USB-c to work. @CaseySJ might know. Have you had any success with macOS detecting a USB-c device in either of the Thunderbolt ports?

I am not certain if the Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDT is needed for Thunderbolt and/or USB-c to work. @CaseySJ might know. Have you had any success with macOS detecting a USB-c device in either of the Thunderbolt ports?
@CODYQX4,

On the Z390 Designare the latest BIOS Update (F9j) kills USB 2.x/3.x on the two rear panel Thunderbolt USB-C ports. This is why we remain on BIOS F9g and F9i.

On the Z590 Vision D it is possible that the same bug exists. It may be best to wait for a BIOS update or try a TweakTown beta BIOS if one is available.

Back