Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

Hello all! I'm looking to get an 590 board to go with my i9-10900k and 6900 XT. I have had a Gigabyte Z590 Vision G that I've liked, but I need to go to an ITX board.

I'd like to be able to use Thunderbolt, and I've heard that there are issues with the Gigabyte Z590i Vision D that keep hotplug from working natively. Would I be better off to go with the MSI Z590i Unify? I know @CaseySJ has done a lot of help here, but trying to sift through everything has been a bit overwhelming. I'd like Thunderbolt to work as easily as possible.

I'd appreciate any advice!
I have both the MSI Z590i Unify working with hot plug as well as the Asus Z590i. See here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ot-plug-i7-11700k-rocket-lake-6800-xt.315846/

I've only been able to test them with a Razor Core X Egpu box as well as a couple of kinds of Thunderbolt 2 storage devices.

Last edited:
I have both the MSI Z590i Unify working with hot plug as well as the Asus Z590i. See here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ot-plug-i7-11700k-rocket-lake-6800-xt.315846/

I've only been able to test it with a Razor Core X Egpu box as well as a couple of kinds of Thunderbolt 2 storage devices
Thank you very much! Before I order it, one last question you might be able to answer. Does the Unify have a CNVI or M.2 wifi slot?

EDIT: Ooops! I see you addressed it in your build. Thanks!!

Thank you very much! Before I order it, one last question you might be able to answer. Does the Unify have a CNVI or M.2 wifi slot?

EDIT: Ooops! I see you addressed it in your build. Thanks!!
I was able to swap out both boards with the Fenvi natively supported M2 cards. Made configuring those systems a little easier.

Do you fix Monterey Thunderbolt hot plug issue in the last config?
Yes, Hot Plugging works. I still need to add a boot argument to enable Ethernet though, I was using wireless until recently and found I'd missed that. Let me know if you need help with that.

EDIT: I'd like to give credit to @CaseySJ for helping me with Thunderbolt Hot Plugging. I was not getting their on my own. It completes the functionality of the build!

Last edited:
Hello all! I'm looking to get an 590 board to go with my i9-10900k and 6900 XT. I have had a Gigabyte Z590 Vision G that I've liked, but I need to go to an ITX board.

I'd like to be able to use Thunderbolt, and I've heard that there are issues with the Gigabyte Z590i Vision D that keep hotplug from working natively. Would I be better off to go with the MSI Z590i Unify? I know @CaseySJ has done a lot of help here, but trying to sift through everything has been a bit overwhelming. I'd like Thunderbolt to work as easily as possible.

I'd appreciate any advice!

EDIT to add info: The Gigabyte Z590I Vision D that I tried worked well and I really liked having the Thunderbolt 4 functionality, but it seems to have borked itself due to a faulty PCIE riser, so I was going to exchange it for another one. While I have the chance, I just wanted to know if there's a better board to try!
Saw your edit, there are a few builds on GitHub using the Z590i Vision D, last I looked none had Hot Plug working. Did you ever resolve that?

Can't get it work. That is why I asked. :lol:

Saw your edit, there are a few builds on GitHub using the Z590i Vision D, last I looked none had Hot Plug working. Did you ever resolve that?
I didn’t! Which is why I returned it and ordered the MSI. It’ll be on the way here soon… do you happen to have a build post for your MSI build? I’m mostly curious how the Thunderbolt is set up, and how your USB map looks!

Thanks again for the help!

I didn’t! Which is why I returned it and ordered the MSI. It’ll be on the way here soon… do you happen to have a build post for your MSI build? I’m mostly curious how the Thunderbolt is set up, and how your USB map looks!

Thanks again for the help!
I don’t have a build posting for it but can tell you the Thunderbolt and USB mapping is different. Once you get it I can share more information with you if needed.

Back