Contribute
Register

Z390 i7-9700 vs Z690 i7 or i9 as Daily Driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Now that @CaseySJ has a Z690 Golden Build that seems to be working OK thinking to start assembling my own Z690 Hack to eventually replace my Z390. Latter has been running great and is my home desktop for general goofing around (Photoshop, PTGui for some gigapixel panoramas, Aurora HDR, Handbrake to put things on the Plex server) and has been super stable. Wondering how much of a (a) performance bump and (b) stability reduction I would feel with the Z690, so if practical to think I could use the Z690 as my daily driver instead of the Z390?

Last edited:
Now that @CaseySJ has a Z690 Golden Build that seems to be working OK thinking to start assembling my own Z690 Hack to eventually replace my Z390. Latter has been running great and is my home desktop for general goofing around (Photoshop, PTGui for some gigapixel panoramas, Aurora HDR, Handbrake to put things on the Plex server) and has been super stable. Wondering how much of a (a) performance bump and (b) stability reduction I would feel with the Z690, so if practical to think I could use the Z690 as my daily driver instead of the Z390?
If you already have a stable Z390 build, there is no reason to abandon it even if you choose to build a Z690 system.

Remember, the Z690 platform is NOT, and will NOT be, supported on MacOS now or in the future. Any software incompatibilities with MacOS and its applications may never be fixed.

Keep your old system and experiment with your new system to see if you can accept any compromises when using the new system.

Your new system will need a supported graphics card to run MacOS. Do you have one available?

I don’t think you’ll really gain anything in terms of workflow and performance, but sacrifice reliability. Future updates may or may not work. If you need a performance bump maybe get a 9900K for your Z390 board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back