Contribute
Register

Z390 Designare + i5-9400, with they work together with thunderbolt 3???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus B365m-k
CPU
i5-9400
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi Guys.
I'm very happy with Asus B365m-k + i5-9400. I wanna try thunderbolt 3 so can I upgrade my motherboard to Z390 Designare. Will thunderbolt 3 work correctly?
Thank you for your advices.

Here is your answer: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...390-thunderbolt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/

TLDR: Thus far only a Gigabyte Z390 Designare fully supports Thunderbolt 3. Hotplug works for all devices as well!

For other motherboards, such as my ASRock Z270 ITX/ac, Thunderbolt 3 only works when devices, or a dock with devices attached, are plugged in either at the Clover screen or before booting the computer. Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C hard drives are hot-pluggable, but no other devices are. Once unplugged after boot, you need to restart the computer with the device(s) attached for them to be usable again.

I think the issue seems to be power management as the Gigabyte Z390 Designare explicitly supports 40Gbps. Their schematic shows 4 PCIe lanes directly to the CPU as opposed to via PCH, as is the case with my motherboard, or using only 2 lanes with a low-power TB3 chip supporting only 20Gbps.

If a motherboard has a Titan Ridge controller and explicitly supports TB3 @ 40Gbps, then you should have native Thunderbolt 3 support with some SSDT patching.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back