Contribute
Register

Z390 and i7-8700K - any successful builds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: I got the Shutdown and Restart to work just by reinstalling the latest Clover with NVRAM.

Did you use the Standalone Clover UEFI Boot Mode with Emulated NVRAM v2.4k r4586 in tonymacx86 downloads?

Update #1:
Yup, Shutdown and Restart now working on Z390M Gaming:
- downloaded latest Clover_v2.4k_r4722 from Sourceforge.com
- selected typical options (Clover for UEFI, Clover in ESP, Theme)
- UEFI Drivers: add APfsDriver-64, EmuVariableUefi-64 and OsxAptioFix3Drv-64
- also added "Install RC scripts on target volume"

Now Working
- Shutdown (GPU and CPU fans shut down)
- Restart
- Sleep (slow video refresh)
- USB 3.1 Type C port (at least can see external drive)

Not Working Properly, Yet
- Sleep (wakes from manual sleep, no cursor for login box - cannot log back in. Weird!) **Ignore - my bad!**
- Audio (need to find layout-id that works)

Update #2:
BIOS update to 0805:
- Solved quirky restart before POST after initial power-on
- Able to select "Optimized Defaults" and enable CSM in BIOS
- Waking after sleep still quirky (one mouse click to restart fans, one more click for video refresh), weird!

Last edited:
Did you use the Standalone Clover UEFI Boot Mode with Emulated NVRAM v2.4k r4586 in tonymacx86 downloads?

Update:

Now Working
- Restart

- Sleep (wakes from manual sleep, no cursor for login box - cannot log back in. Weird!) **Ignore - my bad!**

Thats the same combo I used for the B360 motherboard. Issue on B360 is iGPU.
It requires 3 patches.
Does iGPU work well on the Z390?

No iGPU yet - having some problems with HDMI 2.0 and DP video on Z390M-Pro has no DVI port
Ar this point some Z370 boards are already getting hard to find and wevygot no working solution.

Update #1:

Now Working
- Restart

Update #2:
BIOS update to 0805:
- Solved quirky restart before POST after initial power-on
- Able to select "Optimized Defaults" and enable CSM in BIOS
- Waking after sleep still quirky (one mouse click to restart fans, one more click for video refresh), weird!

This is great progress! I think I might get the Z390-I myself and start hacking around even more. I tried the Gigabyte Z390-I and I would suggest anyone thinking of buying it to stay away from it: reboots on its own, the BIOS is super buggy and OSX doesn't boot.

The weird part in all of this is that native NVRAM is supported on Z370, I think we need a Clover update to use it on Z390. Thoughts?

This is great progress! I think I might get the Z390-I myself and start hacking around even more. I tried the Gigabyte Z390-I and I would suggest anyone thinking of buying it to stay away from it: reboots on its own, the BIOS is super buggy and OSX doesn't boot.

Yeah, still a work-in-progress although updating the BIOS seems to be essential even if the mono is brand new, well almost.

Audio is still a problem, although I recall you got it working with a RX 580 - so that is a likely fix.
BTW - did you use AppleALC/Lilu, and did you install these kexts in kexts/Other or /Library/Extensions?

Nothing doing with the HDMI 2.0 video. How did you get iGPU working, if you can recall?

Big shoutout to @zzmadd for his advice on NVRAM

Yeah, still a work-in-progress although updating the BIOS seems to be essential even if the mono is brand new, well almost.

Audio is still a problem, although I recall you got it working with a RX 580 - so that is a likely fix.
BTW - did you use AppleALC/Lilu, and did you install these kexts in kexts/Other or /Library/Extensions?

Nothing doing with the HDMI 2.0 video. How did you get iGPU working, if you can recall?

Big shoutout to @zzmadd for his advice on NVRAM

I think if you just have any video card attached, it'll do the trick. The iGPU worked straight out of the box with displayport, never used HDMI. AppleALC/Lilu — correct. I usually install everything under kexts/Other.

The weird part in all of this is that native NVRAM is supported on Z370, I think we need a Clover update to use it on Z390. Thoughts?

As mentioned, the latest Clover with RC scripts solved the Shutdown/Restart/Sleep issues. Had trouble with the tonymacx86 standalone Clover 4586 with emulated NVRAM - may have missed the Apfsloader driver.

AppleALC/Lilu — correct. I usually install everything under kexts/Other.

Even with a GTX 1050 and web drivers IOREG returns the layout-id as <07 00 .. which I thought Toleda said was a no-no. Will have to keep experimenting. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back