My first computer looks like this.

old_xt_computer.jpg

It was running Windows 95. I'm happy that I don't have it anymore XD

GXGOW said:
My first computer looks like this.

old_xt_computer.jpg

It was running Windows 95. I'm happy that I don't have it anymore XD

LOL... looked like mine too.
My parents bought an IBM clone from a Chinese run business... it was architecturally, an IBM XT clone, but instead of using the normal 8088 @ 4.77Mhz, it's running a 80286 at a stupid fast 8Mhz!!! There's a switch on the front of the computer case for "Normal" mode and "Turbo" mode. The Chinese place was also selling software for a couple of bucks each. You go through their big binder catalog, and check which software you want -- if you bought your computer there, you get FREE software, just bring along your DSDD (Double Side, Double Density) 5.25" floppies.

Prior to the IBM, I actually learned AppleSoft Basic on an Apple II clone one summer. Mom enrolled me on a summer computer camp.

my first pc was one of these
it had all of 4k of ram and used an rf modulator(tv)
it had a 6809 (motorola) processor
and made by tandy(radio shack)

Attachments

• tandy_trs80.jpg
    tandy_trs80.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 359
I think the first actual computer I had was one of these:
Sharp-PC-1211-M.JPG

Then I got one of these — but couldn't stand the membrane keyboard and returned it:
Zx81-timex-manipulated.jpg

But I really consider my first to be (with a "language card", lower case chip, 300 baud Hayes MicroModem, and an Apple Super Serial Card):
600px-Apple_II_Plus.jpg

Followed by an Amiga 500 and then a Macintosh IIcx (heaven)

I still remember sitting with my grandfather, carving the wood pieces from spare branches of drift-wood floating down the river by our tent.

We would play games together, add complex math, and see how fast we could move the beads into position. My childhood was consumed with this computer!

Attachments

• Boulier1.JPG
    Boulier1.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 229
Would you believe I grew up with this in our family basement? o_O

dec_pdp-8-e.man_with_pdp8e.102619006.lg.jpg

I didn't get to mess around with that one, but when I got a little older I quickly got addicted to playing "Adventure" (my dad was one of the three guys who ported it to the VAX) on a VT-52 connected to my dad's VAX on this sweet modem:

800px-Analogue_modem_-_acoustic_coupler.jpg

In looking for these pics, I just found out that that I can play my dad's version of Colossal Cave Adventure in OSX. Wonders of the internet never cease.

First computer that was "mine" as in, resided in my bedroom would have been this killer:

6a0120a85dcdae970b0128776fc879970c-pi

schneider_europc.jpg

Loved the futuristic look - for that time - and the amber monochrome Screen

Had it actually for quite some time, about 3 or 4 years.

oh. modems. Mum berated me for the phone bill. Back then long distance calls were EXPENSIVE. And she couldn´t use the phone :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back