Contribute
Register

Yosemite on Optiplex 755

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it was very stable. I did my bills, taxes, etc. on it. I DID however keep GOOD backups using time machine and cloned an extra copy of my HDD just in case. The times it crashed was when I screwed around with it or I had a HDD go bad. I kept a 10.8.5 USB to get started back (rather than climbing) and could download utils and rebuild from scratch if necessary. I did have a power supply go out once too but as for running Yosemite . . . No problem.

Thanks to the extra i got mavericks working on my 755 I had to install on a usb drive with the dell graphics card.

I used the IOPCIFamily.kext from 10.8.5 to be able to boot in ahci mode rather than legacy (which was a problem you said you had). And used the extra from that youtube video. so a bit from 10.10 and a bit from 10.8.5 once the graphics was sorted using the extra it was just a case of using restore in disk utility on ml to clone the usb drive to a spare partition on the ml drive. so the drive dualboot ml / mavericks.

I think the attached kext will be useful for anyone wanting yosemite or mavericks on a 755 optiplex.

Attachments

• IOPCIFamily.kext.zip
    69.9 KB · Views: 189
@ Blackest

Does that mean you're giving up on Yosemite or are you going to try it on another HDD?

well the install to usb wasn't so bad with mavericks and once it was fixed it was like 8 minutes for disk utility to recover it to an internal partition. So it is something i can try and not worry about upsetting anything else. So yes probably worth having a shot while its fresh in my mind. Today was very productive and if i can get the installer to boot for yosemite i think i have all i need to make it work. I'm going to keep spare images around so i can recover quickly if it goes wrong.

Hi, well my brain has nearly exploded reading from start to finish of this thread... I have learned a bit and died a lot. I have a Optiplex 755 SSF with the Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz 4gb or 667mhz ram and the Nvidia GT610. I have Yosemite running on it at the moment, but wanted to clone it onto an SSD (Samsung 840 128gb) disk. I have used Carbon Copy to clone the disk over and then used Mulitbeast to make it bootable. I also opened the DDST file from the original drive and saved it out to use with multibeast to put on the SSD. When I boot from the SSD drive I get to the screen below.
1-photo-1.JPG

Now looking through it seems this is similar to an issue you guys have had, trouble is I can decipher the answer :( Very new to the whole thing... It boots fine and runs very well from the hdd but not sdd. I have changed no bios settings than they where and its on revision A22.
Can someone please advise in a very noob friendly fashion please..? Thanks in advance.

Hi, well my brain has nearly exploded reading from start to finish of this thread... I have learned a bit and died a lot. I have a Optiplex 755 SSF with the Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz 4gb or 667mhz ram and the Nvidia GT610. I have Yosemite running on it at the moment, but wanted to clone it onto an SSD (Samsung 840 128gb) disk. I have used Carbon Copy to clone the disk over and then used Mulitbeast to make it bootable. I also opened the DDST file from the original drive and saved it out to use with multibeast to put on the SSD. When I boot from the SSD drive I get to the screen below.
View attachment 130950

Now looking through it seems this is similar to an issue you guys have had, trouble is I can decipher the answer :( Very new to the whole thing... It boots fine and runs very well from the hdd but not sdd. I have changed no bios settings than they where and its on revision A22.
Can someone please advise in a very noob friendly fashion please..? Thanks in advance.

How you are connected the SSD to the system? USB or SATA ??

How you are connected the SSD to the system? USB or SATA ??

Hi, firstly sorry its on 2 threads, I thought these guys where going to be a good place to start with the problem.

I have tried booting via usb and also by swapping it with the working hdd on sata.

Thanks

Hi, firstly sorry its on 2 threads, I thought these guys where going to be a good place to start with the problem.

I have tried booting via usb and also by swapping it with the working hdd on sata.

Thanks

Small confusion on the above answer.

My questions is, The SSD (Where you have the cloned copy the running OS X) is connected to the system through USB ports or SATA Ports??

The kernel panic on the above image is because of the AppleAHCIPort.kext

You say "It boots fine from the HDD". My suggestion is to use terminal and dd the HDD to the SSD then put the SSD in place of your existing HDD.

diskutil list (will give you a list of your hard drives)

!!! Make sure which drive you are going to copy to and which drive you are going to copy from !!!
Erase and format the SSD to 1 partition using GUID and format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
I'm supposing that you are connected via USB so use:

(example) If you are copying disk4 onto disk5

dd bs=4194304 if=/dev/disk4 of=/dev/disk5

THERE IS NO STATUS - just wait until the copy is done and see that terminal reports the files out and the files in are the same.

You then should be able to replace the booting drive with the copied SSD and it should boot normally.

You say "It boots fine from the HDD". My suggestion is to use terminal and dd the HDD to the SSD then put the SSD in place of your existing HDD.

diskutil list (will give you a list of your hard drives)

!!! Make sure which drive you are going to copy to and which drive you are going to copy from !!!
Erase and format the SSD to 1 partition using GUID and format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
I'm supposing that you are connected via USB so use:

(example) If you are copying disk4 onto disk5

dd bs=4194304 if=/dev/disk4 of=/dev/disk5

THERE IS NO STATUS - just wait until the copy is done and see that terminal reports the files out and the files in are the same.

You then should be able to replace the booting drive with the copied SSD and it should boot normally.

Sounds just what I am looking for, as I am guessing something is not being copied.. I was tempted to try a program to do a raw copy like acronis in Windows.. Will try in a bit. Thanks :)

Do the drives need to be the same size? Or as long as there is enough space on the ssd for the data on the hdd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back