CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I built my hack in 2011 and it's running flawlessly with Lion 10.7.2.

I want to update the OS but not sure about my current hardware.

CPU - Intel Core i7-2600K Processor
Graphics - GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6870 1GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/2x Mini DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card GV-R687OC-1GD

Can anyone provide advice here?

The BIOS on the mobo is what came with it... don't remember the version, but I can find out if needed.

Thank you very much.

I built my hack in 2011 and it's running flawlessly with Lion 10.7.2.

I want to update the OS but not sure about my current hardware.

CPU - Intel Core i7-2600K Processor
Graphics - GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6870 1GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/2x Mini DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card GV-R687OC-1GD

Can anyone provide advice here?

The BIOS on the mobo is what came with it... don't remember the version, but I can find out if needed.

Thank you very much.

Hardware should not be a significant issue - also check your board revision. It is also worth checking your BIOS version for Sandy Bridge hardware. Some people had UEFI BIOS and others Award type BIOS. Important to know the difference and there may be an advantage of updating to UEFI BIOS.

I also suggest that you do some research into others findings in using Yosemite. It would be a good idea to backup your data first and keep a working installation if possible - just incase things do not work out for any reason. Sh*t happens sometimes.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/search.php?googleSearch=Z68MX-UD2H-B3 Yosemite

Hardware should not be a significant issue - also check your board revision. It is also worth checking your BIOS version for Sandy Bridge hardware. Some people had UEFI BIOS and others Award type BIOS. Important to know the difference and there may be an advantage of updating to UEFI BIOS.

I also suggest that you do some research into others findings in using Yosemite. It would be a good idea to backup your data first and keep a working installation if possible - just incase things do not work out for any reason. Sh*t happens sometimes.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/search.php?googleSearch=Z68MX-UD2H-B3 Yosemite

Thank you for the reply Adrian.

I am still on the award type bios. I'm still a little hesitant to update the bios because if I can't get the new OS to work, then I would like to keep using my current OS, and not sure the new bios will play nice with my current set up.

My plan was to just get another internal solid state drive and do a clean install with the new OS.

What do you or anyone think about updating to the UEFI BIOS, and my current system still functioning on Lion 7.2?
It's really the only thing holding me back from trying to update the OS. Don't want to flash the mobo and then not have my current OS or the new OS in working order.

THanks!

I am still on the award type bios. I'm still a little hesitant to update the bios because if I can't get the new OS to work, then I would like to keep using my current OS, and not sure the new bios will play nice with my current set up.

There was nothing wrong with the Award type BIOS and many think that it was better for running OS X. Like everything there are also others that preferred the simplicity of UEFI BIOS installation. There is however good thinking in 'if it ain't broke then don't fix it'

My plan was to just get another internal solid state drive and do a clean install with the new OS.

This is the best option. Yosemite is also proving difficult to install over the top of older versions of OS X.

What do you or anyone think about updating to the UEFI BIOS, and my current system still functioning on Lion 7.2?

I came to this whole process after Gigabyte migrated all their boards to UEFI - I have also not completed an installation using the older Gigabyte Award BIOS. The procedure was a little different as a DSDT was used for the motherboard and DSDT option in MultiBeast. I would read up on what other peoples experience was with this motherboard. There is no reason why repeating the DSDT installation on Yosemite would not work given your current configuration.

It's really the only thing holding me back from trying to update the OS. Don't want to flash the mobo and then not have my current OS or the new OS in working order.

It is possible to boot from the Chimera screen using DSDT=Null if you did go to UEFI BIOS. I think that remaining where you are with the Award BIOS and working on a fresh installation on a new drive is the best way forward. Disconnect your Lion installation while you are running through the Yosemite installation process.

It is possible to boot from the Chimera screen using DSDT=Null if you did go to UEFI BIOS. I think that remaining where you are with the Award BIOS and working on a fresh installation on a new drive is the best way forward. Disconnect your Lion installation while you are running through the Yosemite installation process.

Thank you again! I agree... I will do some more reading and then try a new drive and fresh install without updating the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back