Contribute
Register

yosemite install gets mac completely stuck. can't find mach_kernel

Status
Not open for further replies.
After installing yosemite the machine will restart. At this point, you still need to boot using the unibeast stick [F8 or F12 to boot from stick]. Then at the bootloader page, you should see the options for USB with a smiling Yosemite mountain, and the drive you've installed yosemite on with the smiling yosemite mountain, not an apple logo, and you should be able to boot into it [with whatever flags you needed to get the installer running].

The bootloader that was on your machine for mavericks won't recognise the yosemite drive properly, it needs to be updated with multibeast.

Then once you've run multibeast and restarted, an updated bootloader will be on your drive and you no longer need to boot with unibeast.

------

After re-reading, thats not hugely clear so:

-boot with unibeast USB drive
-select USB at bootloader
-install
-restart when prompted
-boot with unibeast USB drive
-select yosemite drive
-run multibeast
-boot WITHOUT unibeast
-hopeful success...!

>did you install your /extra folder and bootloader to EFI partition? With this handy page --> http://www.tonymacx86.com/401-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html

Here is the solution -
1.) Reboot using the USB stick (you have to press f12 or something similar in the bios when booting)
2.) Select drive where you installed Yosemite. --> It will boot into Yosemite using Chimera from the USB stick.

note: For a permanent fix the new chimera needs to be installed using multibeast. However I don't know if this will work if you installed the bootloader to the efi partition (as in the guide that is linked above. If you did that you will have to follow some steps to update your EFI partition with the new files.

let me know if this worked or if you need help with the steps to update your EFI partition.

Hey, I really need help with updating my EFI partition. I thought it would be simple but apparently I was wrong as I still have the problem.

In my case, I have 2 OSX drives on same machine, one SSD as the main system drive and a similar partition on the other 3TB archives drive. Boot using Unibeast USB drive (no bootloader installed on any HD).

At a first attempt, I tried to install Yosemite on the backup drive, the 3TB backup copy one, and got the "can't find mach kernel", even with a kernel copy on /. When installed OSX on the SSD HD (supposely HD 0), everything went fine, so I don't know exactly what happens, maybe there is a unknowed config file anywhere.

Tried many bootflags and, remember, I have no bootloader installed on my HD drives, so there is no org.chameleon.plist or smbios.plis on Extra. In fact, there is no Extra folder.

Hope that information can help someone.

Try disconnecting all the drives but the boot/install drive. My install kept doing this because it thought the SDD drive was part of a RAID. Disconnecting all drives but the one I wanted to install on fixed it.

Yosemite, mach kernel error, the EFI partition, and boot loaders...

In some cases extra steps could have been taken to clean up the root of your Mavericks install. One of these steps was to move the bootloader and /extra folder to the useless EFI partition. Unfortunately when upgrading to Yosemite this causes errors; even after using multibeast to install the boot loader. This is because the boot is being directed to the old mavericks edition bootloader held inside the EFI partition(ie Open apple logo over yosemite drive instead of new yosemite logo during bootup).
To fix the problem the /extra folder has to be moved to the EFI partition and the bootloader installed to EFI partition.

Tony Mac has a new guide to update to yosemite which might fix the problems also check it here

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...-os-x-yosemite-using-unibeast-multibeast.html

Otherwise, some of the steps to update the EFI partition will have to be followed here

http://www.tonymacx86.com/401-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html

Using the guide above:
1.)Mount EFI partition
2.)install chimera bootloader to EFI partiton
3.)Move the new /extra folder to EFI partition

that should be it. Another option would be to flag the root partition of Yosemite install as the boot partition, but I am not exactly sure how to do that. (That is what the fdisk commands are for in the installation of the bootloader to the efi partion are for)

I had same issue but finally I solved it.first boot your computer with usb unibeast.Than use option top of the Yosemite icon installed one write safe boot command -x.it will give the mach_kernel error than ask you to press any key.than comeback first section now select the install Yosemite icon write also safe boot option -x.it will start opening I try this with hp probook.if doesn´t work with first time it will second time.weird think is,yosemite working top of installation icon safe mode option.Than make bootable uefi usb stick because you will struggle with this option.keep doing -x option.good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back