intel
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
hi all.
i'm completely screwed at this moment. i managed to install yosemite over my maverick version but now when i want to start up my mac the screen says that the mach_kernel is missing or at least it can't find it. when i want to boot again from the usb stick it gives the same error. tell me what i can do because i'm completely desperate and afraid i will lose all my data. please someone help me! thanks in advance

Try filling this in the bootargs:

Code:
/System/Library/Kernels/kernel
That should ommit the error and get you further :)

>did you install your /extra folder and bootloader to EFI partition? With this handy page --> http://www.tonymacx86.com/401-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html

Here is the solution -
1.) Reboot using the USB stick (you have to press f12 or something similar in the bios when booting)
2.) Select drive where you installed Yosemite. --> It will boot into Yosemite using Chimera from the USB stick.

note: For a permanent fix the new chimera needs to be installed using multibeast. However I don't know if this will work if you installed the bootloader to the efi partition (as in the guide that is linked above. If you did that you will have to follow some steps to update your EFI partition with the new files.

let me know if this worked or if you need help with the steps to update your EFI partition.

So in the boot screen I flagged the proper location for the kernel and it went straight to a black screen. Like it was going to go further and then just **** out. :banghead:

Any insight at all?

I used UniBeast 5.01 to do this (I think...), but I'm now reinstalling in the hopes that it will get fixed...

So in the boot screen I flagged the proper location for the kernel and it went straight to a black screen. Like it was going to go further and then just **** out. :banghead:

Any insight at all?

I used UniBeast 5.01 to do this (I think...), but I'm now reinstalling in the hopes that it will get fixed...
If you was able to login to your desktop after installation, you can reinstall the system and delete from boot.plist kernel info. Chimera will find proper kernel by itself. Or you can grab your hdd and go to a friend and edit plist without any problems. But the best solution is to boot from USB stick, if you can.

If you was able to login to your desktop after installation, you can reinstall the system and delete from boot.plist kernel info. Chimera will find proper kernel by itself. Or you can grab your hdd and go to a friend and edit plist without any problems. But the best solution is to boot from USB stick, if you can.

Unfortunately that's the problem, I don't go further. Let me re-describe the issue.

So I had no issues booting from the USB drive and installing. However, (1) the installation "hung" at "about a minute left" for nearly an hour. Then (2), when it 'finalized' (I was out of the room, unfortunately), and restarted, it went straight into MultiBeast's loading screen and showed me my options (Hackintosh, Windows, & Yosemite). I clicked on Hackintosh to load and instead of loading it gave me the mach_kernel error. I then (3) came here and found the trick about redirecting using a flag and flagged /System/Library/Kernels/kernel whereupon the screen went black and nothing went forward at all. From there I couldn't load anything, so I went back and restarted from the USB drive.

So now, step 4, I am reinstalling--however, Yosemite's install is hanging right now at "about a minute remaining" and so I suspect I'm in for another round of exactly the same thing. So my question is: what do I do at that point? Grab my USB and re-do MultiBeast/UniBeast and the Yosemite installer on my Macbook Pro? I don't know how I'd edit anything that's on my desktop at the moment.

EDIT:

I can get in booting from the USB drive, but that's not really sustainable. Now that I'm making it to the desktop, how do I edit the boot.plist stuff from here now?

Last edited:
I can get in booting from the USB drive, but that's not really sustainable. Now that I'm making it to the desktop, how do I edit the boot.plist stuff from here now?

When chimera tries to boot does it show the picture of Yosemite or an open apple? If it shows an open apple the correct chimera isn't upgrading when you do the multibeast settings. If this is true you will have to follow parts of the guide that I mentioned above. If this is the case than I can give you exact directions I followed to fix the problem "can't find mach kernel."

Let me know

When chimera tries to boot does it show the picture of Yosemite or an open apple? If it shows an open apple the correct chimera isn't upgrading when you do the multibeast settings. If this is true you will have to follow parts of the guide that I mentioned above. If this is the case than I can give you exact directions I followed to fix the problem "can't find mach kernel."

Let me know

This is the case for me. Exactly the same problem. Instead of yosemite pic I see an open apple.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back