Contribute
Register

Yosemite Install freezing during installation. GA-Z97. 4790k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z97X-Gaming 5
CPU
i7-4790k
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys. I am installing Yosemite and I am having an issue with the install freezing completely at about "8 minutes to go" or 50%. I have no expansion cards installed and only have my usb 8gb flash drive and usb receiver for kb/mouse plugged in. Mavericks installations and combo updates went through easily, but yosemite is giving me so much trouble.

I only have 1 of my 2x8gb sticks of ram installed. I am using boot flag -maxmem=4096. safe mode causes a kernel panic before i get to language selection. BIOS settings are default with Vt-d disabled, ACHI enabled, and XMP disabled. I would appreciate any help. I feel like I am so close. Thank you.

Specs:
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5
i7-4790k
640GB Western Digital HDD
1x8gb G.SKILL Trident X (XMP off=1333MHz)

Gosh I feel dumb. Forgot to disable Intel Virtualization Technology. After that, install went smooth and only took about 10 minutes. Now, I am just experiencing freezing in Yosemite itself, which I think other people are having problems with too. So, I'll look out for a solution.

EDIT: All working fantastic after Multibeast! Install would have been just a smooth as mavericks if I didn't forget to disable that one bios setting.

What multiboot settings are you using?

Mine keeps freezing after installing multiboot.

Did you update from Mavericks or do a clean install?

What graphics card are you using?

Please can you post your multi beast settings. I have the same motherboard , I'm using Nvidia 640 graphics card. Everything works in Mavericks (except loss of sound on sleep). Will be updating to Yosemite over the weekend.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gosh I feel dumb. Forgot to disable Intel Virtualization Technology. After that, install went smooth and only took about 10 minutes. Now, I am just experiencing freezing in Yosemite itself, which I think other people are having problems with too. So, I'll look out for a solution.

EDIT: All working fantastic after Multibeast! Install would have been just a smooth as mavericks if I didn't forget to disable that one bios setting.

Ohhhh my god, bless you kind soul. I'm brand new to the whole building computers and installing a Mac OS to them, and I had no idea you had to disable the Virtualization Technology as well as the VT-d option. I hope they add that to the Installation guide as more folks adopt the 9-series!!

You realising this helped me out immensely. Completely forgot about IVT too and reading your post helped me out. Thank you!

Thank you. Disabling IVT in the BIOS (GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5) also got me to the next step in this installation. There is allot going on in the BIOS - easy to miss something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back